Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 ARCA J2 research - new data spawns question
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

boltonmg

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2019 :  21:36:32  Show Profile
Finding all eight J2s which were raced in America in the 1930s would be a tall order but my ambition to identify the chassis numbers might be possible.

A new clue has been found by Chris Nowlan going through some ARCA archives. We now know the engine number of the J2 which was pictured on the front cover of the 2014 Year Book which contains an article I wrote on the topic.

The first photo here shows the ARCA registration plates for that car issued in 1936 and 1937.

I only have the build sheet page for our J2 (J2594). Could someone please tell me what chassis number originally had engine number 831-AJ. From the printed Register it might be in the region of J2274.

With the chassis number, somebody with access to the chassis files might be able to reveal the original owner in England. Mike Hawke's books, which I have, might reveal any history.

I do know the car was blue. It was first raced here on Oct 28 1934 so any entry in "How they Ran" after that date would invalidate it.

I have attached a high resolution copy of the photo used on the cover of the Year Book in which you can see the plate mounted to the left of the instrument cluster. But the photo also shows a heavily modified dashboard with a large tachometer mounted behind the steering wheel alongside the speedo. Another photo (Year Book page 9) shows a grab handle on the tub behind the drivers right shoulder. I might be tempted to call this a "bouncer's handle" indicating this car might have had a serious English trials history.

I have speculated it might have been Toulmin's blue 1933 trials car, upon which Jonathon could not add any more info. Can someone please tell me what engine number J2653 had. It might have been in the region of 1318-AJ. If so, where do I also see three of those digits, maybe in a different order, but on the pictured plate.

Thanks for any help,
Peter

Peter Ross
PA0251, PA0255, J2594

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2019 :  22:01:18  Show Profile
Hi Peter,

What a brilliant find, these registration plates!

According to the database, 831 AJ was originally fitted (not to a car in the region of, but actually) to J2274, newly delivered to E. Dane of Massachussetts on 19 October 1932. This car was blue & blue. The database holds no further information whatsoever.

The engine originally fitted to J2653 was 1309 AJ. This car was also blue & blue and was newly supplied to J.M. Toulmin on 28 November 1932.

‘Hope this helps!
Cat

Go to Top of Page

John James

United Kingdom
959 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2019 :  22:14:31  Show Profile
Peter,

Engine number 831AJ was fitted to J2274. Sold to Edward Dane on 19th October 1932 and exported to USA by M.G. Car Co. Export.

Engine number 1309AJ was fitted to J2653.

Regards, JOHN JAMES
Go to Top of Page

boltonmg

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2019 :  00:53:43  Show Profile
Hello Cat and John. Thank you for your rapid response.

Ned Dane was the son of the owner of the Brookline National Bank, which still exists today in Boston.

He was actually the first person in the US to acquire a J2, directly from MG, and being a buddy of the crew who started ARCA, I wondered if his car inspired the Colliers to acquire a further 8 of which 7 were used, obsolete J2s in a period after the PA became available. But he never drove it in a race himself. However he did create the ENAD special (Dane backwards!) which John Marshall attempted to race. As you say, he bought the car new. I would be surprised if he did all those modifications to the dash if he never used it in competition.

Our records show that Hugh Bancroft's blue J2 was brought in as a used car by Sam Collier in his first batch of six as MG distributor for America. Maybe he really took on Ned Dane's car which Ned had owned for nearly 2 years by Oct 34. I have found several errors in Joel Finn's otherwise superb tome on racing in that era.

I have just read a short biography of Frank Alden who was the driver in the 1937 picture on the Year Book cover. He was a good mechanic and it is recorded he constructed an oval track race car using an MG engine. So they had some spare engines from presumably, demised cars.

Now I am challenged to learn how Ned Dane used his J2.

Thanks again,
Peter

Peter Ross
PA0251, PA0255, J2594
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3208 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2019 :  14:55:07  Show Profile
Peter,
At the Chicago Swap Meet this weekend, I found and bought a book about ARCA in the 1930s by John Rueter. Looks like a good read. If you don't have it, I'll bring my copy to Bowling Green in June.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

Vitesse

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2022 :  19:48:11  Show Profile
This seems as good a place as any to put this. Out-takes from a newsreel report of the ARCA race at Wayland, October 1934. Four MGs in the entry list.

https://digital.tcl.sc.edu/digital/collection/MVTN/id/1404/rec/35

This news report gives a slightly different result to the one in Rueter's book though!

Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1543 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2022 :  20:12:06  Show Profile
Peter (boltonmg),
What was the reason/predilection for white-wall tyres (tires) in the USA?

Bruce. (PB0564)
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3208 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2022 :  22:52:17  Show Profile
Haven't seen Peter on here in quite a while, so I'll jump in.
White walls were commonly available in the US and many felt they add a bit of style and panache'.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, 2M1281, NA0651
Go to Top of Page

Vitesse

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2022 :  00:04:17  Show Profile
O/T - I have some 1950s US newsreel video of Fay Taylour when she was racing Stateside. A wonderfully kitsch bit of puffery in which we see her doing some cooking, followed by film of a supposed race in which she's driving a Jaguar XK120 or XK150 on a dirt oval. It's pretty obviously straight off a dealer's forecourt, complete with whitewalls!
Go to Top of Page

Hawkes

United Kingdom
63 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2022 :  08:19:26  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Vitesse

This seems as good a place as any to put this. Out-takes from a newsreel report of the ARCA race at Wayland, October 1934. Four MGs in the entry list.

https://digital.tcl.sc.edu/digital/collection/MVTN/id/1404/rec/35

This news report gives a slightly different result to the one in Rueter's book though!

What a brilliant bit of film. Thanks for posting.
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
752 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2022 :  15:37:08  Show Profile
Gosh not a lot of room for overtaking!!

John Cooper M 628
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: