Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 Le Mans J2?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

boltonmg

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2019 :  22:21:46  Show Profile
Another find by Chris Nowlan in the ARCA archives at the Revs Institute (Collier Museum) shows this J2 with French (?) plates and several "extras" which might mean it has been prepared for LeMans: Large Union Jack on bonnet; Bonnet strap (but only 1); scuttle mounted aero screens; Radiator overflow; stepped in headlights.

Any ideas as to identity?

We know that, having purchased the Macdermid J2 (J2416/JB839), Sam Collier tried to enter LeMans in 1934. But that car was white. We also know that, when Sam took K3011 to Europe to race in 1935 they "took along" one of the US-based J2s for general use. We think that one was green and we have no other pictures of it because it was never raced in America.

The second picture below is a new one to us showing Sam Collier in the ex Macdermid car from the rear and one can clearly see the JB of the UK number plate. Just FYI.

Peter Ross
PA0251, PA0255, J2594

boltonmg

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2019 :  02:28:57  Show Profile
I may have answered my own question.

When Sam Collier bought K3011, he sold(?) the ex-Macdermid J2416 to fellow ARCA racer Bob Heller who raced it in November 1935 now painted black and with racing number 3.

Then I found a picture of it en route to the Memphis Grand Prix in May 1936 showing the large Union Jack on the bonnet and to be driven by LeRoy Kramer still wearing number 3.

Therefore this may be the otherwise anonymous J2 which Sam Collier and George Rand took to Europe along with K3011 in June 1935 during which they visited Le Mans as non-driving guests of MG. I suggest that didn't stop them decorating the J2 in Le Mans trim. At Le Mans they were so impressed by the organization and performance of the "Dancing Daughters" team that they eventually bought PA1667. This had a long career here in America and is currently safe and sound in the Collier Museum where these two pictures were found last week.

If this is the case, the two pictures I originally posted are of the same car.

Peter

Peter Ross
PA0251, PA0255, J2594
Go to Top of Page

Vitesse

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2019 :  13:57:02  Show Profile
The number plates on the first picture are French 'TT' (Transit Temporaire) plates, with the final H indicating that it was issued at Cherbourg as port of entry - which would fit a trans-Atlantic journey from New York, of course. Scroll about half-way down this page to find details of the pre-1954 system:

http://plaque.free.fr/f_tt_f.html

Roughly equivalent to the British Q-plate system.

These are the current 'TT' rules for temporary imports (in French), but I guess it was probably pretty much the same then:

https://www.eplaque.fr/infos/focus-limmatriculation-dun-vehicule-%E2%80%89usage-transit-temporaire%E2%80%89
Go to Top of Page

boltonmg

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2019 :  01:50:41  Show Profile
Being a bit of a student of number plates since I first learned to read, thank you for your interpretation of the French TT plate. This J2 was originally JB 859 in England until Sam Collier arrived in to America (July '34) and the second photo shows an unreadable American sized licence plate on top of the English one. He actually went to France with it in June '34 and returned a year later. Maybe this explains why the plate ends in TT4H.

I enjoyed reading the explanation in your links. However I read that that you needed a TT plate if you purchased a new car tax free in France intending to export it. Like the old yellow surround in England in the 60s.

Thanks again

Peter Ross
PA0251, PA0255, J2594
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1480 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2024 :  14:43:01  Show Profile
What an interesting thread. I have started reading up on the exploits at Le Mans in the 30’s

Colin Murrell
PA0786 (D0285 previously)
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)

https://www.triple-mregister.org/racing.asp

http://www.triple-mracing.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000