Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 Jensen bodied car
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Vitesse

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2019 :  18:35:18  Show Profile
PS Haggie appears to have been a young lady called Pauline Sinclair Haggie, born on April 30th 1912. I've found a travel record for her arriving in London from Port Said in May 1932; at that time her address was Toddington Grange, Cheltenham. She later lived at The Glebe House, Stanway. Married 1939, becoming Pauline Rankin. Later lived in Stroud, died 2001, aged 89, registered in Cheltenham.

The family appear to have originated in Durham and were colliery owners. Her father died when she was ten, so it seems possible she may have been a 'bright young thing', existing on a trust fund or similar.
Go to Top of Page

Vitesse

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2019 :  09:12:59  Show Profile
The expiry of the licence towards the end of 1941 was most likely simply due to the tightening of petrol rationing and the near-impossibility of obtaining parts and - especially - tyres. By then only 'essential users' like doctors were using private cars as the private motoring petrol ration was so meagre.

Private motoring was banned completely the following July so most private cars were then laid up 'for the duration', with the government actually requisitioning as many used tyres as it could; the loss of Malaya had of course cut off a vital supply of natural rubber and synthetics were still at an early stage of development, mainly in the US.
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
758 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2019 :  11:25:19  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Simon Johnston

It’s really not good for your health to read these old advertisements

Simon J
J3437

Depends if you are buying or selling. Each con-rod in my recently rebuilt engine cost more than the car did when it was new.

John Cooper M 628
Go to Top of Page

Rob Hughes

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2020 :  22:57:20  Show Profile
Attached are two more photos of my Father's Jensen bodied M Type which I hope will show more of the bodywork detail .

Robert Hughes
J2121
Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2020 :  23:08:28  Show Profile
That side view s wonderful!!
I do not think that that view has been seen in recent years, and if I may, I will pass it on to the Jensen Club. They were very interested to see the first picture I sent them. I think they will be astonished to see this!

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

Rob Hughes

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2020 :  10:39:00  Show Profile
Please forward these pictures to the Jensen Club as I hope they help with their photographic library . I notice many similarities with the body styling of Wolseley Hornet Specials of this period . These include louvred panel below the doors ,cycle wing profile ,shape of rear tub and spare wheel ,chrome (?) rear wing protectors etc..

My Father used to talk of this car having a very short gear stick enabling fast gear changes ! Maybe he was comparing it with my Mother's Austin 7 or did it have a remote gear change conversion ?

Robert Hughes
J2121
Go to Top of Page

semisport

United Kingdom
61 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2020 :  14:07:56  Show Profile
Here is an early sixties photo of a 1932 McEvoy Morris Minor (bodied by Jensen) which was owned at that time by a Mr J. Verity of Newlands Road, Darlington. Unsurprisingly the two bodies look almost identical. The photo is part of the Harry Edwards Archive (the former Morris Register historian), a treasure trove he left to the club.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2020 :  16:30:16  Show Profile
Super picture again, and have sent both to the Jensen Club, so will see what they bring!

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2020 :  18:00:05  Show Profile
The Jensen Club were very interested but no further comments!

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

Ian Grace

USA
657 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2022 :  23:48:34  Show Profile
I just came across this interesting thread, and there's something not quite right here. It was Michael McEvoy who created his SV Morris Minor special and drew up a Le Mans style body design, on the proverbial back of a fag packet and passed it to the Jensen brothers to have built, to be fitted on a chassis bought from Cowley. His prototype, RC 300 was first registered in December 1931, on Minor chassis SV7012. After this, Jensen offered Minors with these bodies, but not tuned by McEvoy, as Jensen Minor specials. These cars had less flared wings in the 1932 season. The Verity car above is VK 6158, currently owned by Sarah Gibson - a 1932 season model with chassis SV14288, first registered 16/4/32.

For the 1933 season, both Jensen and McEvoy specials exhibited more flared wings - like DG 3457.

Further, DG 3457 has a build date of 1st June 1931 and was first registered 1st November 1931, so it pre-dates the prototype McEvoy (and therefore Jensen) which was first registered 2nd December 1931.

Here's a photo of a Jensen-bodied Minor that was published in The Autocar of May 1932. Note the profile of the wings:

And here is a 1933 season Jensen Minor - note the more flared wings, the same as fitted to DG 3457:

Here's the 1933 season Jensen Minor:

The conclusion I come to is therefore that DG 3457 left the works as a standard M but was re-bodied early in its life - some time in or after late 1932.

We know that McEvoy offered body 'conversions' on M Type (and Minor) cars. This from Motorsport of June 1932:

And finally, the McEvoy M Type MG 704, which I think has been discussed on another thread:

Go to Top of Page

Ian Grace

USA
657 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2022 :  01:03:42  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Vitesse

The expiry of the licence towards the end of 1941 was most likely simply due to the tightening of petrol rationing and the near-impossibility of obtaining parts and - especially - tyres. By then only 'essential users' like doctors were using private cars as the private motoring petrol ration was so meagre.

There was one other interesting way around petrol rationing. My 1933 McEvoy Minor was owned during the War by a chap in the Home Guard. The car was run during the war, and fitted with Bren guns, so he could get recce petrol for it and it was used as a high speed defence vehicle along the Suffolk coast.

If anyone has a pair of Bren guns surplus to requirements, I'd like to fit them, so as to help with modern-day traffic ...

My father had another way. During the War, he worked for de Havillands on the Mosquito. His job was to co-ordinate the hundreds of small firms and workshops that provided parts. This required a lot of driving and a lot of petrol. So if he was ever stopped by the police, wherever he was going and whatever the purpose of his trip, he was always heading towards one supplier or another!
Go to Top of Page

Vitesse

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2022 :  17:31:59  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Grace

quote:
Originally posted by Vitesse

There was one other interesting way around petrol rationing. My 1933 McEvoy Minor was owned during the War by a chap in the Home Guard. The car was run during the war, and fitted with Bren guns, so he could get recce petrol for it and it was used as a high speed defence vehicle along the Suffolk coast.

Leslie Ballamy apparently managed to get his Ford V8 trials special 'recruited' as a Home Guard 'parachutist chaser'. I have no idea whether he ever caught any though! But no doubt the extra petrol came in handy for attending wartime 750MC meetings, at least one of which resulted in an unofficial sprint competition on the edge of what is now Blackbushe Airport ...
Go to Top of Page

Wiard Krook

Netherlands
16 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2022 :  23:51:08  Show Profile
Wiard Krook files

W. Krook
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly