Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Pub Meets and Natters
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2019 :  19:57:38  Show Profile
I was wondering how many of the folk who see these postings are members of an MGCC Natter, or indeed a natter of any of the other owner clubs such as the MG Octagon CC or even the MG Owners Club?

My reason for enquiring is that these gatherings would be an effective medium for getting Register and event info to our followers.

I'm thinking particularly of UK events of interest to Triple-M folk, for example the MG Era Day, The Kimber, our own Register's 90th anniversary celebrations at Silverstone in June, the Summer Gathering in July, PreWar Prescott and Chateau Impney, plus the plethora of Triple-M races that Mark has put in place for the Summer.

If anyone is interested in receiving event information or other supporting gen about these and other activities please would you get in touch with me? The Register will do whatever we can to support the effort and help you to help us spread the word.

Thanks!

AFM781

United Kingdom
189 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2019 :  09:32:01  Show Profile
Dick,

Here in the Marches we are fortunate in having a "N&N" on every Tuesday in the month all within a twenty mile radius of Presteigne. 4/5 are lunchtime meetings and two evening. Nominally vscc, but anyone with an interest in older cars are welcome. Normally two or three MMM cars come along.

If you keep in touch I will endeavour to spread the word.

David.
Go to Top of Page

JCB

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2019 :  10:10:49  Show Profile
Dick, David, and Forum:

Thank-you for this thread.
I can't be the only person who finds discussion meetings a bonus.
As there is no "official" list or way of finding one.
Would it be possible to start one.? Please.
Personnel experience and recommendations are the way to solve the many issues in classic car ownership.
Thank-you again.

John Bakewell
chateaubakes@hotmail.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Orstin

United Kingdom
633 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2019 :  10:39:35  Show Profile
Dick, my two penne'th on this. A certain old car 'Register' (no names, no pack drill) has used this approach since it's inception. There is a network of area Secretaries who are supplied info on matters various to disseminate to their local group. It is felt to a certain extent (by those of us who perhaps don't describe ourselves as the 'old guard') that this is not the best way of spreading the word now. It requires one to be able to attend a local meeting to start with, and then it's down to the enthusiasm and effectiveness of the local Secretary. A far better way in my view would be to use an email distribution list of the individual members or (even better) to issue an electronic newsletter (perhaps using something like Mailchimp) to spread the word..

As I say, just my two penne'th...

So many dynamos
Go to Top of Page

PreWarMG

Australia
395 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2019 :  10:53:28  Show Profile
It has become a tradition in South East Queensland, Australia for M-Type owners to gather annually to share their passion for these iconic little cars, and celebrate Cecil Kimber’s birthday.
Cecil was born on the 12th April 1888, so this year we are gathering on Sunday 14th April 2019 – also 90 years since the sale of the first M-Type !.

Our hosts for this years gathering are Bill & Zrinka at their home at Cleveland. If those bringing cars could plan to arrive before 10am, we can then arrange the cars in a suitable display.
The gathering will formally start around 11am and wind up around 3pm, giving us lots of time to chat, compare cars and take in a short drive to the Cleveland foreshore in our M-Types.
You are welcome to attend our little gathering in other than an M-Type, so if you have a personal classic that is mobile, please come along. However we are meeting at a home, not a car park so space is limited.

If you could please send your RSVP’s well before the gathering directly to billfuller@ozemail.com.au – this will ensure we have the catering for the BBQ lunch organised – especially if you have any special dietary needs.

I have attached a group photo of our 2018 at the Goodall residence to hopefully inspire your attendance once again. Tony Basham has already confirmed he will bring his M-Type down from Far North Queensland for this years event. Last year we had six of the 25 M-Types known in Australia - how many can we gather in 2019 ?.

We are here for a good time, not a long time !.

Edited by - PreWarMG on 07/03/2019 11:03:59
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3226 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2019 :  11:03:39  Show Profile
I often wonder what support there might be for a monthly lunchtime meeting in the North Bucks/North Oxfordshire/South Northamptonshire area? I believe there is such a meeting held in Bedford area and that it is fully supported. Another popular meeting is the lunchtime one held at the Leathern Bottle, Mattingley.

There is an MGCC N & N close to Milton Keynes and the VSCC hold a popular monthly meeting at The Old Thatched Inn, Adstock which is just South of Buckingham. This would make a very good venue for a lunchtime meeting.

George
L2023

Edited by - George Eagle on 07/03/2019 11:04:53
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2019 :  11:13:34  Show Profile
Thanks all for the useful contributions so far - keep 'em coming!

Hugh is right, the old style Natters have a certain rigidity and while they have their place as a great way of getting people and cars together, they tend to be regular but infrequent, so not a 24/7 source of information.

By contrast, this Forum and other online resources (Facebook in particular) can be a source of immediately available info - so I reckon we need to continue to work with both of these outlets for sharing information and experiences, which can be so beneficial to our hobby.

Dick Morbey
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
651 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2019 :  14:37:46  Show Profile
'oop north there is what is probably the only dedicated pre-war natter in the UK.
Unsurprisingly called the 24/39 group of the Yorkshire Center.
We have a bi-monthly meeting at Sicklinghall between Leeds & Harrogate.
We also attend a monthly lunch at Hopperton between Harrogate & York.
February saw an F & a VA in attendance - very hardy 'oop here!
More details can be had from our dear leader Kim Jong Hay on
las368@googlemail.com

Go to Top of Page

Ian Grace

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2019 :  16:16:56  Show Profile
An idea for what it's worth. Drive it Day is coming up on April 28th. Perhaps someone should start a thread - something like 'Drive It Day, Sunday 28th April - Who is going where?'

There's plenty of footfall on this forum to get a good number of responses and then others can co-ordinate their plans to meet up with (or avoid!) their fellow enthusiasts.

In fact, it might also help if there was an Events top level thread group on this forum, so events info doesn't get buried amongst a majority of general info topics?
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
752 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2019 :  16:30:55  Show Profile
I am finding driving at night more and more difficult, and I am sure many others feel the same, so a lunchtime noggin & natter makes sense for me. As the average of attendees gets larger it would make sense for some natters to be lunchtime.

John Cooper M 628
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2019 :  16:55:41  Show Profile
Hello Ian,

Don't forget that there is an Events section on the website at http://www.triple-mregister.org/events.asp although I concede that it is a static calendar. If there is a suitable event that anyone would like included there, please let me or the Webmaster know and we can add it.

There are other areas of the site from which you can download entry invitations and forms etc.

Dick Morbey
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1949 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2019 :  17:09:49  Show Profile

Hello, John (Cooper).

I have recently treated myself to a pair of prescription night driving glasses and I have found them to be a great help.

So much more traffic on the roads with headlights (apparently) so much brighter too.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

Mikeenty

United Kingdom
195 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2019 :  17:33:13  Show Profile
Hello John Cooper,
I use night vision glasses to great effect. They drag light in somehow and at the time calm down the Range Rover headlamps.
Mike.
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
752 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2019 :  19:30:08  Show Profile
Did you go to Specsavers or a decent opticians?

John Cooper M 628

Ed Spelling

Edited by - Cooperman on 07/03/2019 19:31:14
Go to Top of Page

Mikeenty

United Kingdom
195 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2019 :  07:10:19  Show Profile
Hi John,
Mine are not prescription lenses, just generic stuff from Fleabay. The thing to look for is UV400, polarised.
I use clip on lenses, but others available. Cost about £6 or£7.
They make a great difference, especially in the wet.
Mike.
Go to Top of Page

JCB

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2019 :  10:44:02  Show Profile
Dear Forum:

My take on this one runs along the lines of this.
Love driving car . No excuse required.
The shine comes off in the winter and poor road conditions.
Warm wood-burner and the like wins every time.
So why hold meetings at eight o'clock in the evenings or later.?
Surely mid-day makes short work of cold,poor eyesight and everything else.
Can't even have a beer.
Only compensation is a meal before meeting as a reward.
All the best.
John Bakewell
chateaubakes@hotmail.co.uk
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000