Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Windscreen wipers
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ColinD

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2019 :  12:28:23  Show Profile
I’ve seen a couple of topics on electric vs vacuum wiper motors, but nothing about the wipers themselves. I’m curious to know what was fitted to the early windscreen cars? I’ve seen an example with an external coil spring attachment to each wiper arm and have also looked at what is available from repro parts suppliers which appear quite different. Does anyone have a good enough photo showing what MG used originally?

Thanks

Colin

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5984 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2019 :  12:45:57  Show Profile
If it’s for a suction wiper J2 then this is what you need. Not sure if they’re still being made however.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3208 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2019 :  17:37:21  Show Profile

...and those as used on the PA/PB...

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

ColinD

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2019 :  18:53:41  Show Profile
Thank you both. Do you know where the vacuum type were available from? The grainy pic I have of my cat from the 1930s looks like that type. If they are not available any more does anyone have photos of the parts as they look like they could be made?

Colin
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3208 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2019 :  19:21:45  Show Profile
The motor or the arms? If the motor, most swap meets will usually produce several.

If the arms, they are extremely rare.

What type of car is it for?

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560

Edited by - LewPalmer on 15/03/2019 19:23:13
Go to Top of Page

ColinD

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2019 :  21:03:25  Show Profile
Lew,

I have a vacuum motor, so need to make the arms, connecting rod and leaver arm that attaches to the motor. I haven’t bothered asking if anyone has a spare set as I expected them to be rare. I just need some help with any detailed pics and some dimensions. I can helpfully see a lot from the green car picture, but for example, would rather not guess the connection of each wiper to the windscreen. It would be nic to get it right.

The PA/PB type would take a lot of work to make- too much for me,

I have a 1932 j2 which I’m in the process of rebuilding/ sorting out. It’s missing the windscreen. I’ve now got enough bits to make all the fittings for that bit although need to workout how the early type side stays fit (I’m still missing the but which connects around the frame of the screen.

Regards

Colin
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5984 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2019 :  21:08:34  Show Profile
Colin,

I dropped you an email about this but also have a look at the technical pictures posted here - http://www.triple-mregister.org/pictures.asp?SubCategory=Wipers&type=J2&category=Weather+equipment

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3208 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2019 :  00:55:40  Show Profile
I don't have a pair of the spring style arms, so I can't measure. But with a calipers and a little math you should be able to figure out the basic dimensions.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

Simon

United Kingdom
447 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2019 :  16:37:13  Show Profile
On my J2 I inherited just the electric (N/S) wiper motor, one arm and a spindly connecting link. I made up an idler spindle assembly using a brake cable adjuster, found some old wiper arms which took VW Beetle type flat blades and fastened the connecting link to brass blocks clamped to the wiper arms (adapted from 13amp plug inserts)--Simples! Not pukka but works OK so far. Simon
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000