Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 Preselect gear shift knob
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cleydon

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2019 :  23:38:35  Show Profile
I thought before casting new knobs, I'd ask if anyone has a selector knob as is pictured for the ENV quadrant. I would be most grateful for a response.
Best,
Chris

Westbury

United Kingdom
1949 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2019 :  23:59:16  Show Profile
Hello, Chris.

I bought mine from Richard Hardy (Vintage Parts) . It was a while ago but hopefully he will be able to help (.Excellent quality item.)

P.S. thanks for your comments about my and Nigel Willey’s discussion on the relative qualities of preselector gearboxes!

Chris
Go to Top of Page

Gerhard Maier

Germany
864 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2019 :  09:44:01  Show Profile
Yes Chris,
the ENV75 in my car is fitted with such an original knob.
What do you investigate ?
Gerhard

Edited by - Gerhard Maier on 18/03/2019 12:26:07
Go to Top of Page

cleydon

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2019 :  14:52:37  Show Profile
Many thanks Gerhard,
I am looking to purchase one and was hoping to find one before having to make a pattern and casting one. Perhaps you might know someone willing to part with one?
Best,
Chris
Go to Top of Page

Gerhard Maier

Germany
864 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2019 :  15:59:25  Show Profile
Sorry Chris,
I understood wrongly, that you need dimensions or other specifications before going to cast new knobs.
Gerhard
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1871 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2019 :  13:32:28  Show Profile
Looking at the photos; is it slightly different from the black knob shown in http://www.vintagemgparts.com/octagonal_gear_knobs.html

The angle looks more pronounced in the above picture in this post?
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2019 :  13:59:02  Show Profile
Chris,

This is the correct link to K type preselector gear knob http://www.vintagemgparts.com/preselector_gear_knobs.html

Peter
Go to Top of Page

cleydon

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2019 :  14:16:08  Show Profile
Many Thanks, Peter
I first reached out to Rich at Vintage MG and only posted the request after learning he no longer stocked or supplied these knobs. Disappointing, but often I'm a little too late.
Best, Chris
Go to Top of Page

Roger Cadogan

United Kingdom
486 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2019 :  12:03:47  Show Profile
Hi Chris, Do you know if the size of this knob is the same as the octagonal knobs fitted to the "P" type. I may have a cast aluminium one but if so it is a raw casting. I used to make them many years ago and may have one that is old stock, the possible problem may be the neck size as on the p the control rods were 2BA or 3/16 BSF.
I have checked one of these castings and the Octagon is 36mm or 1.5" across the flats and an over all depth of 28mm or 1.125",the neck diameter is 12 mm or 0.5", these are rough measurements. Perhaps Gerhard could confirm the dimensions?

I could put the 1/4" BSF thread in it but I would leave it to you to fettle and paint. If you are interested you could contact me off forum.

Regards Roger

Roger
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1871 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2019 :  12:15:53  Show Profile
I don't believe they are; hence my question above.

I believe the P brown one and the J black ones are the same dimensions (I have examples of both) but the pre-selector black one is a more pronounced angle; see the difference between Peter Green's link above and my incorrect one also above.
Go to Top of Page

Tim Luffingham

United Kingdom
342 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2019 :  21:54:07  Show Profile

I too am looking for a pre-selector gearknob. I have spoken to Peter and compared his original 1930’s pre-selector knob to a P type choke / idling knob. ( Not the P type gearknob.) These were identical except the pre-selector knob needs to be black, not brown as with the PA.

The thread for the pre-selector is 1/4 BSF. Larger than the choke / idle rod and smaller than the gearknob.

I have a friend with a middle of the range 3D printer trying to make a copy.

I know of an N type owner that also needs some black choke / idle knobs ( same size) so there seems to be a demand should someone be able to run a batch.

Regards

Tim
Go to Top of Page

cleydon

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2019 :  22:22:21  Show Profile
Hi Roger, many thanks for your response and offer. When I asked the new owner of my KN/K3 if I could borrow back my selector knob, he was most kind to accommodate me. But when it arrived by post, to my astonishment, it was a black P series choke knob. Well, I loved using it for fifteen years and figured that rethreading another would suit me just fine. It has always fit wonderfully in the hand and been light to the touch. Figuring that form follows function, especially when availability is extinct, I will rethread another P knob that I have on the shelf and call it a day.
Many thanks to all who participated in the conversation.
Best, Chris
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000