Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 2.5 to 3.0 mm glace /waxed cord in green
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2137 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2019 :  14:58:52  Show Profile
Can anyone suggest a source for glace cord or similar (waxed) army green hemp in green and 2.5 to 3.0 mm dia.

I was hoping to use the remainder of my new old stock left over cord from the binding of my road springs but there is not enough to cover the steering wheel

Dying white cotton green is not an option as the dye rots the cotton

Any pointers appreciated as otherwise my current restoration project will be finished next week

Many thanks

Richard

Vintage MG Parts

Edited by - Richard Hardy on 04/05/2019 16:55:01

sullivan

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2019 :  21:02:04  Show Profile
Hi Rich

Try this

http://www.ibexmarina.com/portfolio-item/8-plait-glace-cord-product-group-350/

Brian W Sullivan
Go to Top of Page

Blue M

United Kingdom
1455 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2019 :  21:38:03  Show Profile
Richard, thanks for the warning. I shall avoid wearing green cotton!
Ian
Go to Top of Page

cleydon

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2019 :  23:48:25  Show Profile
Thank you Ian,
I was soooo tempted to write something smart like, not married to a spinner/dyer/weaver.
Note: cord get waxed after wrapped on spring. Use double boiler.
Chris
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
936 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2019 :  08:01:33  Show Profile
Richard, based on very many years of supplying dyes of various types, I can say categorically that the correct cotton dye will not rot the fibres, ever.
I suggest you follow this link for more information.

https://www.georgeweil.com/fibrecrafts-fibre-reactive-procion-mx-dyes-50g

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2137 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2019 :  12:26:26  Show Profile
All these comments are most helpful as I had been searching for hours and knew what I was after.

I am also relieved to know that my wife and I can now wear green cotton clothing without risk of disintegration. It was always a continual niggling concern.

Rich

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2137 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2019 :  11:26:35  Show Profile
Well this braided glace cord is proving extremely difficult lower days to locate, even Ibex Marina now only receive a batch every 6 months plus when there is sufficient demand and they are now out of stock and it may be months if they ever receive any more as it seems it is not a popular size in green.

During my hours of trawling and ringing around, I have been able to identify a company who manufacture this in a vintage apple green colour and through some careful sweet talking, they have agreed to run a bobbin for me! They can turn the job around in a week.

The product will only be supplied in a 100 metre box and will be ideal for both steerings wheels and road springs. The diameter will be 3.00 mm which is correct for our MMM use.

As this is being made to special order, I do not plan to stock it as it is being made specially for my latest personal J4 car project. To provide MMM'ers with an idea on quantity required, I am unsure how much is needed for one road spring, as I never measured lengths when I corded up my springs. Does anyone know???

I do know however that for a 17 inch diameter steering wheel, 32 metres would cover, so 35 metres would be a safe margin.

I can take extra bobbin orders in at this stage and the cost is £44 for 100 metres or, I can decant to 50 metres for £30 (no VAT)

If anyone wishes to order then I would need to hear by Friday this week as my order is being confirmed then to have the cord delivered a week later

If anyone is interested then please email me direct at enquiries@vintageMGparts.com

Regards

Rich

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2137 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2019 :  22:15:34  Show Profile
Good news and final call on 3.00 mm green glace cord.

As several provisional orders have enhanced the total order, I have been able to benefit from a quantum discount. The price is now coming down by £5 per bobin to £39 for 100 metres or £25 or 50 metres.

I cannot take any further orders after this Friday however as the order is then being processed

Any further enquiries, please email me direct at; enquiries@vintagemgparts.com

Regards

Rich

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000