Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Look for more info about this M-type.
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Morris68

Netherlands
6 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2019 :  08:46:41  Show Profile
My fathers brother asked me to sort out more about i suppose his old unrestored MG M-type. A challenge to me as iám not into MG history till now. I think this forum is the place to gather more information about this car. Thanks to other topics found as i think a chassis numbers on the right front suspension part and also on the bonnet hinge,: 3420. Also right front but difficult to read: E 1502 (?). The probably original UK licence plate shows: KY 2679.

The engine has spark plugs on top, the fuel tank is in the back and spare wheel fixed at the back of the car, and dashbord is unusual to the original. The site panels below the doors are missing.

Sofar my findings, if needed picture's are available. Any advice welcome.

Cheers Maurice (Netherlands)

Edited by - Morris68 on 22/05/2019 08:50:46

Orstin

United Kingdom
633 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2019 :  09:13:38  Show Profile
Maurice, I think a picture would be very helpful as some of the details you have supplied don't match an M Type as it would have left the factory...

Hugh

So many dynamos
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1481 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2019 :  09:52:03  Show Profile
A car with the U.K. Registration number KY2679 is already on the current Register under chassis number 2M3420, owned by A Bron in The Netherlands. No MMM number is listed however.

I wonder whether Mike the M has any more information which might be relevant.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3228 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2019 :  09:59:30  Show Profile
Hello Maurice.

Welcome to the Triple-M forum, as you have already noticed our subscribers can provide much information on our ohc cars.

From your description of the position of the spark plugs it looks as if the car has a non MG engine - maybe be it is from a F..d?

As Hugh has indicated photos would be very useful.

George
Registrar F/L/N types.
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2019 :  10:00:45  Show Profile
Hello Maurice

Does your father's brother still have the car?

If the number 1502 is stamped on the front driver's side chassis knuckle, then it is almost certainly a part number for this component, not an identity number of the car. If you scrape the paint and rust off the knuckle this may reveal a chassis number stamp. Here is an example of what to look for..

KY 2679 is certainly the UK registration number of 2M3420 and we have two pictures of the car on file. The caption reads: 'Alan Bouttell's Mum and aunt in his Dad's car.'

Our M-type registrar, Mike Dalby is certain to see your posting and I am sure he will be able to share more information for our mutual benefit.

Good luck!

Dick Morbey, Register Secretary
Go to Top of Page

Morris68

Netherlands
6 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2019 :  10:48:31  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by Colin Butchers

A car with the U.K. Registration number KY2679 is already on the current Register under chassis number 2M3420, owned by A Bron in The Netherlands. No MMM number is listed however.

I wonder whether Mike the M has any more information which might be relevant.

Colin B.

Hi Colin, I don't understand "owned by A Bron" is that a musee or collector??
Go to Top of Page

Morris68

Netherlands
6 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2019 :  10:57:59  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by DickMorbey

Hello Maurice

Does your father's brother still have the car?

If the number 1502 is stamped on the front driver's side chassis knuckle, then it is almost certainly a part number for this component, not an identity number of the car. If you scrape the paint and rust off the knuckle this may reveal a chassis number stamp. Here is an example of what to look for..

KY 2679 is certainly the UK registration number of 2M3420 and we have two pictures of the car on file. The caption reads: 'Alan Bouttell's Mum and aunt in his Dad's car.'

Our M-type registrar, Mike Dalby is certain to see your posting and I am sure he will be able to share more information for our mutual benefit.

Good luck!

Dick Morbey, Register Secretary

Dick, Yes that car still in our family, actually at the moment in my garage to sort out history. Thanks for the picture, indeed the E1502 could be a part number!

Go to Top of Page

Morris68

Netherlands
6 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2019 :  11:04:30  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by George Eagle

Hello Maurice.

Welcome to the Triple-M forum, as you have already noticed our subscribers can provide much information on our ohc cars.

From your description of the position of the spark plugs it looks as if the car has a non MG engine - maybe be it is from a F..d?

As Hugh has indicated photos would be very useful.

George
Registrar F/L/N types.

George, that's the question, i've seen a sort of simular engine in the Hemmings offered mg M.
https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2017/07/15/hemmings-find-of-the-day-1930-mg-m/

Some pics of the actual engine in our car.

[

Go to Top of Page

Morris68

Netherlands
6 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2019 :  11:11:14  Show Profile
Amazed by respond sofar, admire knowledge of all of you! Some extra picture's

Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1027 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2019 :  13:20:41  Show Profile
Hi Maurice,

That makes life simple no original parts left ;)

The engine looks like a Ford?
The picture of the dash is a bit to high otherwise we could see the gearbox.
The rear end has had the boat tail cut off and the tanks moved to the back with after market wings fitted, result of a little crash perhaps?
Front wings, rad, windscreen and bonnet do look original, the rad tanks have been modified.

Where are you situated in NL?
the MG workshop in Monster has a wealth of knowledge about triple M's

Onno "D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Eades

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2019 :  15:03:21  Show Profile
The engine certainly looks like a ford E93A:

http://www.e83w.co.uk/restoration/engine.htm

Malcolm
M Type

Go to Top of Page

Ian Grace

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2019 :  16:12:45  Show Profile
Yes, E1502 is the dumbiron part number. Same on all Morris Minors. Often causes confusion, but can be ignored.
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2019 :  17:43:32  Show Profile
Hi Maurice,

Only recently I sent a request for more info on the car to the Dutch M.G. TTO (T-Type & Pre War Owners Club) after having found the two war time pics on Facebook. This was duly published as per the attached. However, no replies were forthcoming, so we had reached something of a dead end.
What Colin meant by ‘A Bron’ was simply the name of the owner as the Register knew it to be. A being the owner’s initial and Bron his surname. I would assume this was your uncle, but for your reply implying it didn’t ring any bells with you.

Cheers,
Cathelijne
Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2019 :  21:24:40  Show Profile
Hello Maurice, and welcome to the world of M type motoring. You have already learnt a lot about the car and there is little that I can add, but will send you a form, off line, to complete so that I may update the car details!
I can also recommend a visit to the 'MG Mecca' in Monster which is not too far from you, I think! There you will see many MGs and there are some M types in Holland.
There were many MGs had F**d transplants in the 1960s, and it is only with modern technology that the old problems have been overcome.
The KY registration number is a West Yorkshire number, and the first owner is likely to have been in Bradford, as the selling agent was Waterhouse and Sons in Bradford.
Good wishes!

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
668 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2019 :  21:53:10  Show Profile
The Small Ford website https://www.smallfordspares.co.uk/identification-charts/engine-chassis-numbers tells us that the engine is a Ford 8hp one, which was supplied by Ford as a spare part
(R for replacement and Y for 8hp), but it doesn't explain the P at the end. It seems to be a very high number which might point to a relatively late installation
Go to Top of Page

Morris68

Netherlands
6 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2019 :  22:43:17  Show Profile
Hi Onno, another dashbord picture added, slightly lower to see some more of the gearbox. The boat tail is already missing on the Alan Bouttell picture, must have been an early crash!? The MG workshop Monster is a good tip, iám situated near Tilburg.

Cathelijne, great post, will contact you by mail

Mike, happy to enter the world of M, thanks! Today I learned that Alan Bouttell was a previous owner, maby he was the first and from Bradford?

Well substantiated information Kevin, will have a closer look to this engine soon, at first glance the block shows no ford logos at all.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000