Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Where have all the young people gone?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

kimber

United Kingdom
1525 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2019 :  13:16:03  Show Profile
There was one occasion in the past 27 years my daughter showed an interest in Triple M cars. I even have a photograph of it.

Edited by - kimber on 17/06/2019 17:48:59
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1849 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2019 :  13:17:42  Show Profile
In Australia?
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1475 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2019 :  10:00:20  Show Profile
Andrew. Was the picture taken just before she grabbed hold of the hot exhaust pipe, by any chance ?

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5945 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2019 :  12:19:22  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Luffingham

Tim ( first Triple-M bought aged 55! )

Tim,
Can I ask what prompted you to buy the PA, given the choice of sporting cars available both pre war and post war?

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

MGAlex

Canada
9 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2019 :  13:23:41  Show Profile
Ahoy there!

Well I am one of those 26 year old "kids" who is absolutely enamored by the MG Brand and older cars. I have the passion big time. Though I will admit I am a rare one in my age group, I am the youngest in my MG car club in Montreal by 20+ years. My friends don't understand that these cars are quite reliable and EASY to fix (most of the time haha). All my friend would "love to have one" but dont want to spend 5000$ on an entry level MGB for instance, they would rather buy a 3000$ carbon fiber bicycle and 2000$ TV.....

Some dont want to make the effort to research and find manuals and instructions on how to fix their cars. The newer generations of vehicles have taught people that they cant fix anything themselves. I think one huge issue is simply the price of some of the older more desirable cars, I dont have 65,000$ for a J2 for instance, back in the 50's-60s-70s you could pick up these cars for a song. Its probably a good thing I did not grow up in that era or I would be one of those people with a barn FULL of cars.

There is also a mindset that old cars and not fuel efficient and not reliable and yet with my MGB I get great mileage and very good reliability. I currently am lusting after a 1934 PA that I am helping maintain, the current owner cant drive it much anymore due to age but I take him out and run the car to keep everything lubricated and happy, because as we know sitting kills a car. I hope one day to become the caretaker of this PA and enjoy it for decades to come. For myself its not a monetary value thing, I can promise you that when I have children one day, if they do not show interest in my classics, I will hopefully come across a young person like myself who has the passion and drive to enjoy these cars and I would GIVE THEM to such a person when my time was up. Just the thought of knowing the cars would be on the road and shared with more people would bring me more joy than any amount of money on my death bed.

I also find many people are afraid to drive their older cars as if they were fragile but then you look at pictures of these MG's in hill climbs, shallow rivers and what could barely be called a road and you see they thrive out and about! I think the other factor is the younger generation don't realize the comrade and love among classic car owners and club members.I always refer to our car club (Montreal MG Car Club) as my MG family! I will be an Octagon lover until my days are done!

So there is hope for the next generation of classic car lovers, I am always trying to give people my age or younger the bug! I love taking kids (young and old!) for rides in the B or PA if I am at a car show or event at a gas station.

Alex N
1934 MG PA
1971 MG B
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5945 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2019 :  20:06:55  Show Profile
One of the problems even within families is the restriction on carrying children in cars like ours with no seat belts. Broadly speaking, children can’t travel in the front unless they are 12 years old or have reached 135cm in height. Children over 3 can , however, travel in the back seats of a four seater. Children under 3 aren’t allowed under any circumstances. So the cosy arrangement in the J2 enjoyed by the Hawke family in the early 60s is a definite 'no no' - see http://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=10588&whichpage=3&SearchTerms=Jmh,Marcus,j2

So if we can’t take our children or grandchildren out in our cars until they’re nearly teenagers, it’s maybe too late!

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Barmby

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2019 :  23:30:48  Show Profile
... and here's another thought ... there are a few studies that say people born today will never need to learn to drive to be able to drive their own car. Autonomous, driverless vehicles are on the way. I've been in a tesla and google car and they perform well. I can see mass market roll-out in the next 5-10 years or so. Not only will a younger generation struggle with the 7 points from the first post, they may have to be motivated to go out and get a driving licence too.

Well before then, standard electric cars will render getting a manual gearbox licence redundant too.

Personally I don't think the drive to zero carbon transport will see classics off the road in the medium term (25 years), their contribution to global warming is so low and there's a healthy economy around them (all those summer classic car charity shows). 2040 onwards could be a different matter!

BTW I have a 50's and a 60's classic and looking for a MMM ... I must be mad. My kids love the older cars. Don't underestimate the younger generation's appetite to fix climate change that could see anything kicking out NOx and CO2 as socially unacceptable.
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1127 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2019 :  07:17:16  Show Profile
Well done Alex N.

I survived an early scare, having to sit in a Riley, to be driving the PB at 17. The next Generation are prepped and ready to go, just 5 years for Bella!!

Happy days! Love those Jumpers

Mark Dolton
www.triple-mracing.com

Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1473 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2019 :  16:38:27  Show Profile
I love the photos on this thread :)

Colin Murrell
D0285
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)
http://www.triple-mracing.com/
Go to Top of Page

MarkH

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2019 :  22:51:32  Show Profile
Yes, very well done Alex N, a very encouraging and positive outlook, keep inspiring others in your peer group. Good luck!

MSH
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2019 :  16:05:18  Show Profile
My Sis and I both learned to drive at 13, she in what was to become her own MGB, me in my Dad's TD. We used to think that was quite young ... Young Miss Taylor here beats us by a mile though being only 11! And in a Cream Cracker too!

Not sure if this works, but here's trying:
https://1drv.ms/v/s!AkSvX3FH1xlfroY6JoQHlDhTJ4AnjQ

P.S. She still likes passengering too though; when Granddad Peter had to stable K3011 at the end of last Sunday's Summer Gathering, he took Katherine for a quick (and I do mean quick) spin across the field and you could hear her screams and laughter a mile away. I was quite moved by the whole thing! Imagine getting to do that with your Granddad!!!
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1473 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2019 :  17:10:40  Show Profile
The link is not working for me Cat, but I did see the wonderful sight of her driving the Cracker, and can only imagine the fun afterwards with Peter in the :)

Colin Murrell
D0285
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)
http://www.triple-mracing.com/
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1020 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2019 :  17:22:45  Show Profile
It is working for me on my ipad.
Wonderful sight though I find myself slightly jealous of an 11 year old.... ;)

Onno "D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2019 :  18:55:33  Show Profile
Colin,

I also had trouble opening the link, I got the following error message 'Sorry there was a problem loading this video'

However I discovered if I clicked 'Download' top left hand corner just below 'One Drive' and waited about 30 seconds for it to download it could be viewed by clicking the icon in the bottom left hand corner.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

mgmog

United Kingdom
458 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2019 :  19:40:02  Show Profile
Excellent :)

Rich Stott
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked