Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Tool kit
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Blue M

United Kingdom
1459 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2019 :  09:19:11  Show Profile
I'm struggling to get my toolkit down to a reasonable level. What do forumists consider essential? Do people still take tyre irons and puncture outfits? I'm not taking any heavy spare parts.

Ian

Onno

Netherlands
1027 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2019 :  09:58:14  Show Profile
creditcard and breakdown coverage always seem to reduce the tool kit

Onno "D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

Orstin

United Kingdom
633 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2019 :  14:47:15  Show Profile
Depends on the journey you are undertaking. For example, I'm off to Scotland in my Austin 7 next week and will take tyre levers and puncture repair stuff, but wouldn't bother if it were for a lesser journey. I always carry a 'considered' set of BSF spanners and other tools whenever I go out. From memory, I have about 10 spanners of various styles, a large-ish adjustable and some mole grips, a hammer and some screwdrivers, small to large. You just never know..

As Onno says, best thing is decent breakdown cover..

So many dynamos
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3340 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2019 :  11:59:07  Show Profile
I would add Duck tape and tie wraps
Nick
Go to Top of Page

leafrancis14

United Kingdom
323 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2019 :  13:41:44  Show Profile
Maybe a logical approach is to look at the common things that might go wrong and you could fix. For example, in my experience;

- punctures (several times) : hammer, pump, jack, pressure gauge - and if I'm 'away' - spare inner tube, levers and gaffer tape (for the spoke heads).
- closed up contact points (rare): screwdriver.
- oily plugs (occasionally at an event with lots of waiting around idling): plug spanner, wire brush.
- sticking dynamo brush (rare) : short screwdriver.
- carb mis-alignment (rare - in my case caused by extra springs for competition) : a small length of tube and a 'micro spanner' set (you know - the little spanners on a pin).
- changing a bulb (rare) : screwdriver.
- sticking carb inlet valve (twice in 25 years) : spanner.

Things that happened where I had to use the AA;
- blown head gasket (once in 25 years - not in the MG, but the LeaF).
- dud coil (again in the LeaF)
- broken clutch finger (twice - now have a clutch stop!).

Barny Creaser

(Wellingborough)
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
651 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2019 :  14:58:15  Show Profile
Ian

Go round the car and make sure you have a spanner to fit any bolt that could possibly need attention - then junk the rest.
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5999 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2019 :  15:00:47  Show Profile
If you have a Lucas distributor I’d suggest to carry a spare baseplate complete with points (already gapped) and condenser. Much easier to replace by the side of the road than either points or condenser on their own. Also, a spare coil is worth carrying as modern ones do seem to be more prone to fail and, like points and condensers, not easily found in a roadside garage these days. My own experience in the J2 has been that misfiring under load, for example pulling up a long hill, was due to a faulty coil, and a slight hesitancy that developed into a misfire that ultimately stopped the engine was the result of a failing condenser. Both were newish items, i.e. less than a couple of years old. The coil and baseplate don’t take up much space so we’ll worth having with you, along with good breakdown/recovery insurance.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Orstin

United Kingdom
633 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2019 :  15:16:49  Show Profile
Oh, and a set of feeler gauges...

So many dynamos
Go to Top of Page

Blue M

United Kingdom
1459 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2019 :  16:07:03  Show Profile
I've been brutal but I think I can edit it some more. Thing is with punctures,if you take the levers and puncture outfit (assuming you can still buy one) you then need a pump which I haven't got.. I think I'll trust to luck and the RAC. I have a coil and cheapo petrol pump tucked away beneath the boot. The sump is full, ditto rad and petrol tanks. The points are magnetic but I've now included a spare original base. There's a wire with light bulb and spare fuses. It's only 180 miles each way so it's not a huge distance but I once spent hours stuck on a motorway not 30 minutes from home.
Now added Duct tape, cable ties, super glue, and thread lock!
Go to Top of Page

Robin Macmillan

United Kingdom
415 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2019 :  18:22:22  Show Profile
Add a torch and a leatherman type multi-tool. The leatherman has a nice long nosed plier which is good for electrics

Driving in France and Spain the only significant problems have been coil failure, broken spokes (crossing the Pyrénées being the cause I think) and oiled plugs.

Robin

PB 0527
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1481 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2019 :  20:36:30  Show Profile
I was pleased that I had a tow rope in Luxembourg a couple of summers ago!

Colin Murrell
D0285
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)
http://www.triple-mracing.com/
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
651 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2019 :  15:31:28  Show Profile
Ian

Got condensers ??

I have several new ones + one rigged up to use as an external condenser, if you want to borrow them.
Go to Top of Page

Blue M

United Kingdom
1459 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2019 :  22:22:52  Show Profile
Thanks Tony, I'm ok for condensers.
Go to Top of Page

Blue M

United Kingdom
1459 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2019 :  06:51:18  Show Profile
I took a fine selection in the end. The only tool I used was a small adjustable spanner to tighten the union on the camping cooker. 90 years old, 378 miles largely in the upper fifties ; they really are remarkable little cars.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000