Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 mg Ptype
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

spatek

United Kingdom
211 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2019 :  20:53:54  Show Profile
came across this pic in an old magazine

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3228 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2019 :  21:11:59  Show Profile
The Registration number JA 6903 Is not recorded in the Register.

George
Go to Top of Page

Enfield Allday

United Kingdom
47 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2019 :  16:05:39  Show Profile
The MG Photo posted with reg, JA was issued by Stockport & number would be from early 1937. I have a copy of Glass's Index of Registration Numbers published 1954, which covers 1929-54...I will help to ID numbers or can explain the system if anybody wants help, Jay
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2019 :  17:28:18  Show Profile
Terry, what was the date and name of the magazine?

Dick Morbey
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

spatek

United Kingdom
211 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2019 :  20:36:16  Show Profile
sorry Dick the mag has gone in the recycling I was having a bit of a sort out I think it would be late 60's that's why I thought the car would have survived in it's condition. Terry
Go to Top of Page

powerplus

United Kingdom
599 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2019 :  23:54:16  Show Profile

Jay,
I would much appreciate your help in finding the registration mark of my MG PB 0538 which was registered around 5th January, 1936.
The Works despatch document at Kimber House gives an incorrect registration number for the car, having been issued to another MG, which currently exists. There are believed to be no other references to the registration mark for my car in the Kimber House records.
The despatch document states that the car was bought by Mr Everingham of Leeds.
Any assistance that you can provide will be much appreciated.
Powerplus.
Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
668 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2019 :  00:50:58  Show Profile
Alan

The records for Leeds still exist (in varying detail according to the series)
Your best approach would be contact West Yorkshire Archives in Wakefield. They hold the ledgers and record cards. They will explain what they have.You then either pay for an archivist to search through them in the hope they can find a suitable match or you make an appointment and do it yourself.
If the latter and you have sufficient time I'd suggest making whatever notes you can on other MGs which could help others

Be warned though, even if the records are there each area seems to record different information so it is not always easy to match to your own details

They used to be on 01924 295982/290900 but my list is old so this may have changed
Go to Top of Page

powerplus

United Kingdom
599 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2019 :  15:08:05  Show Profile

Kevin,
Many thanks for your recommendation with regard to seeking registration details for my PB, and I value your response.

I have carried out extensive searches for the original registration mark for my car through The Kithead Trust, and by searches of the Leeds records held at Wakefield Archives by staff who have patiently responded to my numerous requests, but regrettably nothing has been found for my car, albeit at some significant cost!

In analysing the registration details of MG cars which were sent to me from Wakefield, it appeared that most of the records related to cars which were to be found on the Triple-M Register and I concluded that there had probably been a clear out of dormant records at some time in the past, including that of my car which I know to have been stored away for 30 to 40 years.

There may be some merit in inspecting the records myself, which I will consider seriously, and I will appreciate contributions from anyone who may be able to shed further light on this conundrum.

Thanks again,

Powerplus

Go to Top of Page

Enfield Allday

United Kingdom
47 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2019 :  14:58:32  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by KevinA

Alan

The records for Leeds still exist (in varying detail according to the series)
Your best approach would be contact West Yorkshire Archives in Wakefield. They hold the ledgers and record cards. They will explain what they have.You then either pay for an archivist to search through them in the hope they can find a suitable match or you make an appointment and do it yourself.
If the latter and you have sufficient time I'd suggest making whatever notes you can on other MGs which could help others

Be warned though, even if the records are there each area seems to record different information so it is not always easy to match to your own details

They used to be on 01924 295982/290900 but my list is old so this may have changed

Go to Top of Page

Enfield Allday

United Kingdom
47 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2019 :  15:57:45  Show Profile
BUA is Leeds MAY - AUG 1935 CUA IS LEEDS OCT1935 - NOV 35 Might help if you can get into the Leeds records, sorry you want 1936, that is
DUA JUN-JUL , DUB IS JUL-SEP 36 The system started when I forget but that not relevent to MMM MG's, when two alpha codes were used up (the system did not resissue numbers in MMM days) alpha prefix were used,these were used from 1932 on, as needed. S was used by Scottish authorities, I by Irish, (UK Govt. IFS & Republic, latter carried on with UK system till after WW2),,MG numbers were until they got to the 4000's used by University Motors 5000 to 6000 were used by Govt Departmentd inc. the War Office for tanks and lorries (until the army used its own system) If you see a MG regd. MG 6000 it proably was sold by the DVLA in recent years, Jay
Go to Top of Page

powerplus

United Kingdom
599 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2019 :  19:13:50  Show Profile

Jay,
Many thanks for your response and especially for setting out the dates of the series of Leeds registration marks.
My car was registered in January 1936. However I note that your narrative omits the registration mark(s) from Dec 1935 to end-May 1936.
Might this suggest that there were no registrations in the _UA series during this period or perhaps JUN should read DEC or JAN? I presume each series of numbers were 1 to 999?
If available, this information should significantly reduce the search window. Could you kindly clarify, please?
I look forward to your reply.
Thanks again,
Powerplus.

Go to Top of Page

Enfield Allday

United Kingdom
47 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2019 :  17:08:33  Show Profile
re; powerplus request for Leeds re. no. for Jan 1936 It was CUB Nov 35-Jan 36 Sorry, I left that out on previous post, Jay
Go to Top of Page

leafrancis14

United Kingdom
323 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2019 :  20:49:10  Show Profile
I had a look in our old paper records for anything about this car or a Mr. (I assume) Rycroft, but have drawn a blank.

Barny Creaser

(Wellingborough)
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
651 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2019 :  17:35:36  Show Profile
For those of us who are anally interested in registration minutiae, Leeds also used xUG, xUM & xNW.

I have seen photos of London Trolleybusses with very low MG numbers - it was some while ago but I think they were in the sub hundred range.

Edited by - tonym on 29/08/2019 17:36:34
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3209 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2019 :  18:14:39  Show Profile
TonyM, Correct, MG100 to MG187, with some gaps were supplied to London United Tramways for use on Trolley Bus "Diddler".

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560

Edited by - LewPalmer on 29/08/2019 18:26:20
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000