Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Cottingham's J4129 Original Door Trim
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2019 :  06:03:34  Show Profile
Thanks Max, I know that you are following the conservation with interest.

Sometimes you know, the research, which is part of my regime for all my large collection of classics has a far reaching effect and result which really has not a lot to do with the project itself.

Attached is one of my Rover saloons, another very rare and almost original Rover 10hp P1 Coach Saloon 1934,( 1935 model ). When I purchased the car in 1970, I knew nothing of the previous owners, who they were or how many, only that I had a couple of hand written diaries from the 1950s and a couple of letters to a Mr. Mullens of Reading, Berks.that came with the car. I spent over 25 years looking for the Mullens family, eventually through parish records at Reading and the local historic society we found Mr. Ernest Mullens, he was a Berkshire County Councillor back in the 1930s. From there I eventually ( from painstaking research ) found a granddaughter and grandson of Ernest. I discovered that both had not spoken for over 25 years, over an inheritance, but by contacting both of them and bringing them together with their grandfather's Rover, floods of tears and hugs...and that was me !...was the result, we are now all firm friends and meet once a year in Wiltshire where the grandson Graham Hayman lives.

From this I learnt about the history of the car from the day that Ernest purchased it, about the day to day lives of the family and subsequent owner ( only two ) next one was Ernest's daughter Beryl, then her brother in law Stanley Haymen, the father of the two grandchildren. The car is to be part of Clare's granddaughter's wedding in a couple of years.

I discovered that the car had a schedule G licence and petrol allowance during WW2 as part of the ARP in Reading and where the family resided, I have taken the car back to the house where it was parked all those years ago in Mapledurham, near Reading.

So the car has only been in two families ownership, plus the company I purchased the car from who were a wedding hire company that was closing down. It was Graham who sold the car on behalf of his father back in 1965 to this company.

Graham's Aunt Beryl ( owner no.2 ) was a county level tennis player and once played at Wimbledon, Graham donated to the car a box of her tennis balls from Wimbledon and Clare the pocket watch and vesta that were her grandfathers, plus lots of family photos. The prize was getting the siblings together again, 25 years is too long out of the short time we are here.

Chris

J2353
J4129

Edited by - MG Maverick on 13/10/2019 06:21:00
Go to Top of Page

Max Headroom

United Kingdom
292 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2019 :  08:24:38  Show Profile
Brilliant.

It makes one ask how many other stories like this are out there that have simply not been found? There must be loads!
Just needs people to have the singleminded tenacity to dig around, make phone-calls, and knock on people's doors until all stones have been turned.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Inside every older person is a younger person – wondering what the hell happened.
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2019 :  14:15:12  Show Profile
Just found this on ebay. Winterstoke House is in Mill Hill, thats where Dudley Cottingham and his father lived. So the writing on the panel is probably something to do with this location.

Chris

J2353
J4129

Edited by - MG Maverick on 11/11/2019 14:16:55
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000