Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Old kilt changing size
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gordclark

Canada
170 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2019 :  15:57:49  Show Profile
Over the years, my kilt seems to have changed size, and its time to buy a new and larger one. Does anyone know if the MG Car Club has a registered tartan?

Gord Clark
Rockburn, Qué.

coracle

United Kingdom
1871 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2019 :  16:56:39  Show Profile
I thought a "proper" kilt to be many metres long and you "mount" it by laying it out on the ground, rolling yourself up in it and popping it over the shoulder.

How many metres has it shrunk by?
Go to Top of Page

paul55

Luxembourg
728 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2019 :  18:30:56  Show Profile
Not too sure about that Nigel, I still have my Grandad’s kilt that he wore during WW1...Seaforth Highlanders...and its fastened with a small strap and buckle at the top. But by god he must have been skinny, it won't even go near me and I'm not exactly on the big side!

Paul.
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1871 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2019 :  20:13:58  Show Profile
http://www.tartansauthority.com/highland-dress/ancient/
Go to Top of Page

paul55

Luxembourg
728 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2019 :  20:45:52  Show Profile
Think Grandad had the "little kilt"...must have been cutbacks, there was a war on you know!

Paul.
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1871 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2019 :  21:29:50  Show Profile
The feileadh-beag (pr: feela beg) .... Phoebe Waller-Bridge?
Go to Top of Page

gordclark

Canada
170 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2019 :  00:29:14  Show Profile
How many metres has it shrunk by? - Good question. Basically it was my father's old Argyle & Sutherland regimental kilt when he has a 38" tummy. If I were to try to wear it today, it would cover only on side of me.

Grateful for the link to the origin of kilts. Kilts in Canada are not uncommon and here in sleepy Rockburn, Québec (pop. 210), we have a darn good pipe band.

So I can assume the the MGCC doesn't have a registered tartan. I'm no longer a member of the MGCC, so I daren't contact them directly.

Thanks for your inputs.

gc
Go to Top of Page

chapelfarmer

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2019 :  02:07:25  Show Profile
MMM Scottish Borders 2018 , incorporating tartan factory - the man in the foreground (back to camera, Rob Roy hairstyle) is explaining that these chaps will happily make us a tartan if we only ask them
https://www.lochcarron.co.uk/lochcarron-visitor-center

john
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1871 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2019 :  12:47:54  Show Profile
Mmmm... this is a difficult one as coming up with a tartan that incorporates an octagonal pattern might be a little challenging using the sort of traditional weaving used for tartan kilt fabric.

Perhaps one might have to resort to carpet weave to get over this, but I am still doubtful that it would pass muster as a tartan.

One has to be very careful of driving an open MMM car in the Belted Plaid - The Feileadh-mhor(pr: feela more) in order not to suffer the same fate as Isadora Duncan. Perhaps it would be wise to stick with the feileadh-beag (pr: feela beg)
Go to Top of Page

JohnE

United Kingdom
366 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2019 :  14:28:35  Show Profile
Hmm, Brown and Cream?

I do remember Rob Roy at that visit saying that they had done a design for a Aberdeen oil company, so that it looked the same wet, oiled up or dry. I remember it as a sort of dark heather purple mainly.

However, I do think my D would need a bit more draft proofing to suit a kilt in this weather.

JohnE
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3056 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2019 :  16:30:17  Show Profile
Is there a Kimber tartan?

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
752 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2019 :  20:46:37  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by sam christie

Is there a Kimber tartan?

Sam

Good thinking Batman, I couldn't find one for the name Kimber, but there is a Morris Clan https://clan.com/family/morris

John Cooper M 628

Edited by - Cooperman on 08/11/2019 20:54:00
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1871 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2019 :  20:46:54  Show Profile
How about this:

Might be a little familiar though?
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3228 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2019 :  09:43:15  Show Profile
I had a spell in the Kenya Regiment where the RSM was Dusty Miller of the Seaforth Highlanders. What a proud soldier but a really hard b.....d! He certainly looked the part when wearing his full dress kit which included the kilt.

George
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1949 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2019 :  10:48:06  Show Profile
Part of my family ( maternal grandmother ) are McComb, originally from the Highlands.

Same name as that great MMM guru from the past F. Wilson McComb.

Chris

Edited by - Westbury on 09/11/2019 10:56:01
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000