Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Another rare MMM car for sale
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1485 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2023 :  17:20:28  Show Profile
Hot on the heels of K3016, I have now been informed that another rare MMM M.G.,QA0256, is coming up for sale in Australia. Only eight Q Types were built, and two of them have been in Australia for many years. QA0256 achieved some remarkable results in the U.K. in the hands of A R Samuel and W E Humphreys during the period from 1934 to 1938 and the car was then exported to Australia, where it has lived ever since. By 1949 it was owned by Stan Jones, father of F1 driver Alan, and frequently driven by Otto Stone, another famous Australian M.G. driver. By 1953 it was sold to yet another famous Aussie driver, Les Murphy (winner of the Australian GP in a very fast PA no less) and it stayed with the Murphy family until 1960, during which time it was driven in numerous events by Les, and his son Rod. After a full rebuild by Philip Vickery in the early 80s, the car was bought by Ted Ackroyd and on Ted's passing it came into the ownership of his son, Norman. Sadly, Norman has recently passed away and the car is now in the ownership of Norman's widow, Mrs Beryl Ackroyd. The full story of QA 0256s is detailed in "The Hawke History of MMM Competition Cars" where three full pages are devoted to the little car.

During ownership by Ted and Norman the car has been very carefully looked after and I don't believe that it has ever been raced, but in recent years Norman has brought it out for a number of shows, where he delighted the crowds by firing up the engine - which as it should be, was extremely noisy.

Beryl Ackroyd is now seeking a purchaser, and if anyone is interested, I can provide her Email address to enable discussion to take place. Norman also gave me a number of excellent photographs of the car which I can also make available. Unfortunately, I don't know what price Mrs Ackroyd is looking for, but this would come out in an exchange of Emails.

Over to you, chaps.

Colin B.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000