Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 A pair of J2s
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tjackson

Australia
105 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2013 :  12:13:46  Show Profile
I am after information on two J2s that were purchased in England and imported together to Australia at the end of 1967 - any information gratefully received! Cheers, Tim

J3418 (UK reg ALH 233)

A cycle wing 1933 car, ALH 233 was purchased in Surrey on 1 October 1967. Previous owners in the 1960s:
Julian Stapley, Hereford
Colin Smith, Leatherhead

J4281 (UK reg JB 3417)

A swept wing car, JB3417 was purchased from a garage in the South-East of England (most likely in Surrey). The car had been damaged in a crash and was being held at the garage awaiting payment of towing fees. Apart from the accident damage the car was otherwise complete and possibly running a blower.

Somewhere in Surrey in 1967 ...

tjackson

Australia
105 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2013 :  00:30:19  Show Profile
I should note that I am looking for UK info before they were exported.
Cheers,Tim
Go to Top of Page

John Lyward

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2014 :  14:53:12  Show Profile
In 1953 I was a young army officer doing National Service when, on exercises on the Salibury Plain,I came across J2 ALH 233 in a barn covered in chicken droppings and straw. I bought it for £100 and kept it for about seven years. I was posted to Germany and took the car with me where I broke the crankshaft doing 80 on the autobahn. A new 'bent hairpin' from Toulmin Motors put me back on the road. I did a huge mileage in the car which was christened by fellow mess members 'Charlotte (the harlot)' and later had the car with me when I went to Cambridge. Later still as marital penury set in I was obliged to sell Charlotte for, again, £100 but the bloke who bought it went to a wedding the next week and, presumably drunk, crashed it. In fact, I understood that it had been a write off and I was astonished to hear that it is now in Australia. A man's first car is always special. Look after ALH 233.
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2014 :  16:32:42  Show Profile
That's quite remarkable that the most recent new member to the Forum has "found" his "Lost Love".

Congratulations, to both John and Tim.

Nice One!

Brian.

Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3228 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2014 :  18:31:34  Show Profile
Hi John

Welcome to the web site.

How amazing that your old J2 has surfaced in Australia, the current owner must be thrilled to read your posting and to see the pictures.

It is nice to note you own a J2.

Regards

George
Hon Sec.

Go to Top of Page

tjackson

Australia
105 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2014 :  11:41:16  Show Profile
Brilliant John, many thanks for your post, Dad is thrilled to hear from a previous owner. He purchased the car in 1982 and although it is still un-restored and feeling its age is much loved and very active. I will contact you directly as we would be most interested in discussing further. Cheers & thanks again, Tim

A more recent photo of ALH233 ….

Go to Top of Page

Dudley Smith

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2014 :  00:29:18  Show Profile
Tim,
I have just stumbled across your posting about ALH233 and JB3417, and am amazed and delighted. I owned both cars in 1966 and '67 and can tell you the story of how the engine and gearbox of JB3417 ended up in ALH233. It will take me some time to piece together the story from my nearly 50 year old memories, and as it is midnight here in the UK I will not try to do it tonight. But I will rummage through ancient boxes of photos and see if I can find anything to jog my memory about dates and places.
In the meantime, let me tell you that JB3417 was hit by a drunk driver in Scotland, ending up rather mis-shapen. I bought ALH233 as a chassis with no engine or gearbox and managed to build one car out of the two. Both were sold to a young Australian man in 1967 who happened to be in Surrey and was returning home. There is lots more to the story so I will try to write it up in the next few days.
I have a couple of photos which I attach, showing me in JB3417 in 1966, before the accident and ALH233 the next year.
I am fairly confident that I will be able to find some more pictures, but it will take a little time, so please wait patiently for the next instalment!

I loved ALH233, which was my daily transport and took me on some epic trips, and am overjoyed to learn that she is still going strong.

With kind regards,
Dudley Smith (recorded as Colin Smith in the car registration records)

Go to Top of Page

tjackson

Australia
105 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2014 :  00:33:54  Show Profile
Fabulous Dudley, thank you so much for your post and the photos. It is amazing that after so much time has passed it is possible to find out more about the car, and great to confirm elements of the verbal history that were passed on with the car.
I will make contact off line as we would love to find out more.
Cheers,
Tim

A photo of J3418 (ALH 233) below from a couple of weekends ago with J3762 and K3030 for company …

Go to Top of Page

Dudley Smith

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2014 :  18:34:09  Show Profile
Tim, I am sending you by email several photos and an account of my ownership of the cars.
But for other viewers of this forum here are a couple of photos. The first is JB3417 in December 1966 after the heartbreaking crash, and one is of ALH233 by the River Tay in Dundee in 1967.
You don't say what has happened to JB3417. Do you have any information?
All the best, Dudley
Go to Top of Page

Dudley Smith

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2014 :  18:36:43  Show Profile
Here are the photos which did not attach last time for some reason:

Go to Top of Page

tjackson

Australia
105 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2015 :  07:58:45  Show Profile
"I feel the need for speed (but it just didn't happen)"...a video of ALH233 from a few weeks ago on its annual pilgrimage to Winton races:
https://youtu.be/p5loOJPWyms
Go to Top of Page

Max Headroom

United Kingdom
292 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2015 :  08:51:03  Show Profile
That's a really fun video; brilliant!

This is a fascinating story in my favourite section of the forums. Thank you for sharing it.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Inside every older person is a younger person – wondering what the hell happened.
Go to Top of Page

Matthew Magilton

Australia
179 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2015 :  08:23:24  Show Profile
Nice one Tim! Bring it to a club night.

Matthew.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: