Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 Where was this taken?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Nick Feakes

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2013 :  12:49:11  Show Profile
I am posting this on behalf of Ray White.

Anyone help him with the location and any other information about this car?

Nick

Webmaster

DodgyBrit

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2013 :  22:52:47  Show Profile
Thanks for helping with the photo, Nick.

I would like to trace this M Type which my late Father (Ted White) owned in the early to mid 1950's. This was his first car (and the first one that I travelled in!). Chassis 2M 0715 was attributed to MMM member John Butt in 1980 but subsequent attempts to contact him have met with no response. Can anyone here help?

The photo of UW 5990 has the date 1950 printed on the back but where the hill climb venue was I do not know. The MG must have only just started it's ascent because if one looks carefully, the furthest man on the left -(possibly a Marshall) in white - has his gloved hand held up; detaining a car which is almost hidden from view by the people on the right.

Although I have no documentation, the current owner may be interested in some of the car's history which my Father often talked about. In fact, if he had not been able to cold stitch
the engine block and replace the floor -amongst other things - the little MG would probably have been scr@pped.

Could someone date the car please?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ray White.

Edited by - DodgyBrit on 28/09/2013 22:58:04
Go to Top of Page

DodgyBrit

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2013 :  00:07:47  Show Profile
Also, if it's of any help, the first owner was a J.R. Andrews and the hill climb is a V.S.C.C. event.
Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2013 :  09:45:03  Show Profile
The car has a build date of 17 September 1929 and was a Red 2 seater.
There was a picture of the car in Thoroughbred & Classic Cars in February 1980.

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

DodgyBrit

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2013 :  19:06:16  Show Profile
Thank you so much, Mike. I am most grateful to you. I would be interested in buying that magazine from you if you are interested in selling. Email: raywhite750@fsmail.net

The car looks in restored condition from what I can see but of course that was over 30 years ago. I wonder where it is now? Hopefully Robin Hamblett will be able to make contact with the owner or find out more about the car's location. That's the plan anyway.

Again, thank you for your help.

Ray.

Edited by - DodgyBrit on 01/10/2013 19:30:34
Go to Top of Page

DodgyBrit

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2013 :  01:41:05  Show Profile
If it still survives, would 2M 0715 be the oldest surviving M Type?
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1479 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2013 :  10:59:40  Show Profile
I don't think so, Dodge. The current Register lists a page-full of cars earlier than 0715. If it is still in existence, (it was in 2001), chassis number 2M0257 is the earliest. Reg. Number RX 5046. MMM Number 2700.

Colin B.

Edited by - Colin Butchers on 05/10/2013 11:00:32
Go to Top of Page

DodgyBrit

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2014 :  00:05:24  Show Profile
I am pleased to say that the VSCC has been able to identify the location. Ian Fergusson the VSCC librarian has confirmed that this photo was taken on the 26th February 1950 at the Bisley rally. (Apparently, trials were also called rallies back then which I didn't know.) Unfortunately, they have no record of UW 5990 so I will continue with my search for it's whereabouts.

It was not a complete surprise that Bisley was confirmed because my Dad had thought it may have been at 'Stoney Castle' which is in the general area. The area is still used today, I understand; with Martyn Halliday - of the historic Sporting trials Association(HSTA) - having fond recollections of Tunnel Hill. The funny thing is that he suggested it might be Pirbright only minutes before I got the email from the VSCC! You wait for years then everything happens at once!!
My thanks again to Mike the M for giving me the build date and the lead to the Thoroughbred and Sportscar magazine from February 1980. I have bought myself a copy. Apparently, the restored M Type represented the model at the Golden Jubilee celebrations. Next day in what I will always consider to be a National Disgrace, the closure of Abingdon was announced!

Now where is UW5990?
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2014 :  04:39:44  Show Profile

Hi Ray,

I can't help with the actual car.

However, I would bet heavily that the driver is G.J.Rea.
The photo below shows him driving in the '34 Colmore trial.
Entrant # 96. M type 2m 3352. He was fond of wearing his beret on events. His passenger is J.W. Wathes. They were both associated with "Imperial Motor Mart" in Cheltenham.

I have an interest with Rea and Wathes, as they both drove/trialed my PA. If you find any other information on him I'd be pleased to receive it.

Brian

Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2014 :  11:52:04  Show Profile
Dodge, apologies for not picking this up sooner. I am sending you an email, if you don't receive it via the website, email me via the contacts page (Triple M Registrar)

Regards,
Graham
Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2014 :  16:38:43  Show Profile
2M 3352 was built on 21.12.31 and was a 2 seater with engine number 3122A.
Was G. L. Rae related to N. W. Rae who drove a Salmson in 1929 on the Exeter, Edinburgh and Lands End trails as well as the Gloucester and Brighton Beer trials.
G. J. Rae had no award in the 33 Gloucester , but Silvers in 1934 and 1935 trials. He drove the M in the 34 Colmore and an 847cc MG in the 1935 Colmore trial.
If you could send me a full picture of the M, I think it is "OG 4034" - thanks.
There was a Gordon J. Rae who worked at the Royal Radar Establishment and had model aircraft interests and raced single seaters in the early 1960s. He lived in Gt.Malvern. Don't know if he is the one! Will send a copy of the full write up from the "Motor Racing Register 1964" if required.

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

Max Headroom

United Kingdom
292 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2014 :  23:45:22  Show Profile

Gordon Rae is my God-father and still resides in Malvern at the same address he has always been since I was a kid in the 1960s!

He was and still is, great friends with my father, and was building and racing Formula Vee cars for many years.

Gordon is well aware of my enthusiasm for the MG marque but has never mentioned ever being involved with MG sport. I can pursue this matter with him if needed.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Inside every older person is a younger person – wondering what the hell happened.
Go to Top of Page

Max Headroom

United Kingdom
292 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2014 :  17:20:45  Show Profile
....So thinking about this with a little less beer in my head, if that photo was in fact taken in 1934, Gordon would have been about four years old at the time!

My father tells me that Gordon was involved with car trials or rallies, but that these would have been after the war, in the late 1940s

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Inside every older person is a younger person – wondering what the hell happened.
Go to Top of Page

DodgyBrit

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2014 :  00:44:17  Show Profile
Sorry for the photo not being pasted properly but I don't really know what I am doing yet with Photo bucket!

The photo as you can see had been folded back each side and when opened up reveals a Marshall on the right with a VSCC arm band.

Brian, considering my photo was taken in 1950, the driver seems to me to be a fairly young man to have been trialling in the early 1930's. There is probably a family connection, however, as Rae is not that common a name and there must be a good chance of a coincidence.

Max, if your God father Gordon Rae was trialling in the period after the war I guess this could be him at the wheel of UW 5990. Perhaps you could show this photo to him? If he owned the car, he might even remember my Dad (Ted White) buying it)! If he does, remind him that it had a cracked block!!

I can go back to the VSCC archive with these suggestions and see if they can come up with anything.

Edited by - DodgyBrit on 29/12/2014 01:10:12
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2014 :  01:26:10  Show Profile
At Ray's request, I have deleted the photobucket image (the same as the one above)
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

Max Headroom

United Kingdom
292 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2014 :  15:29:48  Show Profile
I'm getting a bit confused here (I think)

When was the photo taken of the zoomed-in shot of driver and co-driver?
If this was taken during the 1950s it could indeed be Gordon Rae.

By coincidence, my father was with me yesterday, and had a look at the zoomed-in picture.
Without any hints, I asked him if he knew who the driver was, but he didn't know.
I then asked if it could be Gordon Rae and his immediate reaction was that it certainly looked a bit like him, but that if the photo was taken in the 30's it most certainly wouldn't be!

Unfortunately Gordon doesn't have internet (neither myself nor my father can persuade him!), however I am more than willing to give him a phone-call and ask questions - even post him a copy of the photo (if permitted)
So if you have any particular questions that might shed further light, you can email me through these forums or simply post it here and I will find out what I can

My father is of the opinion however, that Gordon never actually owned an MG - or at least if he did own one, he doesn't recall it.

Edited by - Max Headroom on 29/12/2014 15:46:30
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000