Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 MBK999
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Great Auclum

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2015 :  14:38:37  Show Profile
I would appreciate any help that members of this forum may be able to provide on the car (shown below) which I believe to be the J2-based, supercharged Geoff Coles Special. I am pretty sure that the photo shows Geoff Coles alongside the car. The photo was taken in the paddock at Great Auclum and I think it may be in 1958 but I can't be certain.

Can anyone give me some information about the car and Geoff Coles? I am compiling a history of the Great Auclum speed trial/hillclimb and would a) like to get my facts straight and b) do cars, drivers and builders there due credit.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Steve Lovegrove
Great Auclum Historian

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2015 :  17:39:45  Show Profile
I have a cutting from 1961 which I think gives a lot of history up to that time. Hope it s legible!

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2015 :  17:47:07  Show Profile
Not very legible! Try this!

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

Great Auclum

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2015 :  17:56:53  Show Profile
That's great - thanks very much Mike.
Cheers
Steve

Steve Lovegrove
Great Auclum Historian
Go to Top of Page

Tim Sargeant

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2017 :  11:03:42  Show Profile
MBK999: This is Geoff Coles' original 'J4 Special' although the only MG J4 parts seem to have been the engine which was built up from spare parts using a Laystall crank & rods.
This car was built when Coles lived at Portsmouth hence the MBK registration number which dates from March 1956. Unfortunately I don't know who made the bodywork for this car.
The chassis was of fairly standard design at the time it was built and had independent front suspension from a Fiat 500, and as shown in the first photo above Fiat wheels on the front.
He later acquired the front brakes from a TR2 prototype and after making these fit the Fiat stubs wire wheels were fitted all round as shown in the second photo from the Kent & Sussex Courier in 1961.
This is how I remember this car. It was broken up in 1964 when the engine (& gearbox?) was put into the first of Coles' J4 Replicas which was built on a J2 chassis which came from Ireland.
Somewhere I have the chassis number of that J2. One day I'll get the file out and post it on here. Lots of information in there which you would all be interested in I'm sure!
Does anyone know what happened to the remains of MBK999. I last saw it in the front garden of Coles' house at Southborough.
It isn't registered with that number now. (Probably robbed as a 'nice number' at some later stage and not currently registered to a vehicle?) I don't think Coles retained the number himself.

Tim Sargeant
Go to Top of Page

Tim Sargeant

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2017 :  11:13:49  Show Profile
PS: Yes it is Geoff Coles shown in both photos. He lived at Bounds Oak Way, Southborough, just north of Tunbridge Wells, Kent from about 1958.

Tim Sargeant
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000