Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Cars wanted
 MG PA wanted
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ben Stephens

United Kingdom
167 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2015 :  20:48:05  Show Profile
Hi all,

I am knew to the MG world. I have owned plenty of pre war cars, but I thought it was time to own an archetypal two seater.

I am ideally looking for a PA, preferably super charged. I can see a few for sale, but it seems to be a mine field with prices and condition.

I a, quite keen on the car being original.

Has anyone got any tips or pointers of what I should be looking for?

Thank you in advance,

Ben

Mark

United Kingdom
127 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2015 :  10:17:38  Show Profile
Have sent you a mail off line. Let me know if it does not arrive. Am just about to advertise my PA for sale.
Go to Top of Page

ashley

United Kingdom
261 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2015 :  19:20:03  Show Profile
Ben,

Have sent you an email off line.

Thanks,

Ashley
Go to Top of Page

leafrancis14

United Kingdom
323 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2015 :  19:12:33  Show Profile
Ben,

As for tips and pointers, here's some from my experience (additional to the normal things you'd look for);

- dynamo charging : sounds simple to fix, but the root cause may not be!
- engine block cracks or evidence of cracks covered up especially where the water jacket joins the crankcase.
- make sure it really is a PA engine/gearbox/rear axle......!
- look for oil leaks from front or back of engine : maybe innocent but can indicate big trouble.
- check the state of the wheels : this is a big expense to replace them all specially if you need tyres as well
- not too much slop in the steering box (steering box rebuilds are not so easy). On the move, steering should be quite precise.
- oil dripping from rear drums (typical issue is axle oil seals)

PLUS the all important chassis number on the front chassis knuckle : the car may be worthless without it!

Regards,

Barny

Barny Creaser

(Wellingborough)
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3226 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2015 :  16:46:09  Show Profile
Hi Ben

Welcome to the Triple-M web site, you will quickly find it is the source of a large amount of info on matters Triple-M.

We have a Yearbook which can be purchaed from our Librarian, also a Bulletin; the subscription form is in the Documents download section of the web site.

A supercharged P type is a real fun car to drive, I hope you manage to find a suitable one to buy. Please let us know when you do find a car.

George
Hon Sec
L2023 - supercharged.

Edited by - George Eagle on 23/04/2015 16:47:02
Go to Top of Page

Ben Stephens

United Kingdom
167 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2015 :  20:07:54  Show Profile
Thank you for all the advice. I have now, thanks to a forum member found a very original PA which was originally fitted with a supercharger.

Very happy, and I am sure many more questions to be posted.

Ben
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000