Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MG PA Spare wheel Centre bolt key assembly
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mdtech12

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2017 :  19:11:53  Show Profile
Hi

Can anyone tell me or supply an assembly drawing/photo of the spare wheel bolt spinner which holds the MG badge in place. Mine has fallen apart due to the main 5/16" shaft breaking at a point where a split pin fits through. This shaft (known I believe as the centralising shaft for the MG medallion) and has a key at one end that goes into a key hole on the carrier of the rack and I believe it stops the MG logo turning when the spinner is undone. Mine looks like it has been bodged in the past and I wish to make as original. Im not even sure how the MG medallion fits on the centralising shaft. If anyone can advise then I'd be grateful. The long key shaft had broken half way along the thread at the opposite end to the key as can be seen in the photo. Many thanks

Mike

LewPalmer

USA
3208 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2017 :  20:39:36  Show Profile
Mike,
It looks like you have all the parts, so let me try to describe:
The large headed bolt is soldered (silver soldered?) onto the badge, this then screws onto the three-stepped nut which in turn, goes through the knock-off and screws onto the threaded end of the keyed rod after the spring has been placed over the rod.
If this is not clear, I can remove mine from the car and post a photo.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560

Edited by - LewPalmer on 27/06/2017 20:40:13
Go to Top of Page

mdtech12

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2017 :  21:08:15  Show Profile
Hi Lew, thank you very much for your prompt response. As you can see the MG medallion on mine has been fitted to the large nut sometime using car body filler. To use silver solder now when the enamelling is in place will no doubt unfortunately destroy the enamel so I guess i will try soft solder, its not holding anything so hopefully should be fine. I can see the spring fits against the collar at the key end but does it simply fit against the inside face of the knock off?

A picture would be very useful if you have a chance Lew, as they say, "a picture speaks a thousand words" and I guess it along with our typing will provide help to others on the forum, as I have not found anything on the web either in exploding diagrams or pictures.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2494 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2017 :  21:40:06  Show Profile
Mike, I don't know if your badge is an original but if not, or if you aren't worried about such things, Sports & Vintage used to do new ones. I'm very pleased with mine, and of course there'd be no soldering to do, silver or soft!

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Richard Verrill

United Kingdom
345 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2017 :  23:30:27  Show Profile
Mike
Hope these images help, these have come from my jigsaw puzzle box for PA1733. Note the holes in the threaded section and the badge boss also on the key end, you will need to a line these and fix with split pins to ensure the M.G. badge is the correct way up when holding a spare wheel.

Good luck with the repair.

Richard

Edited by - Richard Verrill on 27/06/2017 23:32:35
Go to Top of Page

sullivan

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2017 :  23:41:45  Show Profile
Mike,

Please forgive the intrusion...

I too have an issue with the same part. In the case of PA 1024 the "tab" section of the centralizing shaft is missing. There is a groove where it should be in the shaft. Looks as though it was somehow attached there ? Is the part available ? What are the dimensions of the tab?

Kindly,

Brian W Sullivan
Go to Top of Page

Richard Verrill

United Kingdom
345 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2017 :  00:16:00  Show Profile
Brian
Does this help? The key shape is approx 3mm thick, note the entry end has a radius, if you need a more accurate profile I can trace the shape, though I suspect with a little fettling the sizes are not that critical.

Richard
PA1733 YA5206
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2017 :  07:36:42  Show Profile
If the spring provides only a light loading, and is there to hold the key in place and prevent rattling, a good quality epoxy resin may well provide sufficient 'stick' for the unit to work.

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

mdtech12

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2017 :  20:53:04  Show Profile
Great replies and photos! Richards answered your question Brian with respect to the key dimensions. Mine has been silver soldered into a slot cut in the 5/16" rod which incidentally as we are on dimensions is 6" long.

Mike
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000