Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 A question regarding old buff-coloured log book
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rob Bell

United Kingdom
170 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2024 :  13:25:47  Show Profile
I shall need to post an update on my research of 2M/337's past, but in a nutshell, I am stuck: I know its history from 1956, and I know it was originally supplied to The Morris Garage on Queen Street in Oxford, July 1929 - but the 27 years in between is a near complete mystery - other than the eBay photo taken in 1929 in Wales and a Henlys, Bristol dealership badge (this was an Austin distributor at the time)... although the exact vintage of this enamel badge is unknown.

The Kithead Trust were not able to help, and Oxford Borough Council records only has the original taxation document (thanks for those suggestions Chris).

I do have the buff-coloured log bock. Which is interesting, in that only two keepers are registered on it, dating back to CE Veck from 1956 (the car being kept in Middlesex according to a hand-written note).
The document does also note a change of colour from black to green (interesting, as it was blue when first supplied, and red now...)

Apologies - I am finally getting to the two questions I had in mind:

(1) Would this log book not have included prior keepers to 1956?
I presume it is a replacement issued in 1956; it is in very good condition for a near 70 year old paper document.

(2) Would the DVLA have kept records of previous owners prior to 1956 (I can request this information via a V888 form)?

Many thanks!

JMH

United Kingdom
910 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2024 :  15:18:43  Show Profile
Rob, you have the continuation log book. Original buff log books were stamped every year when the car was taxed, so filled up in time & then a replacement would be issued & so on. Old logbooks were retained by the area authority. Some (particularly those in the London area were lost in the war). When everything was centralised in Swansea the old logbooks were mostly pulped, but buff continuation log books coul (I think) be retained by the owner when new style registration documents were issued. Dad had a friend in the local council who told him that he could get surrendered logbooks from the local authority before they were pulped if he asked - he did & a complete set (4 full logbooks) for J2396 duly arrived. This was about 1971/2 if I recall correctly.
Some local authorities may (in a typically efficient way) might have continued to store old log books in some dusty basement , you never know.
JH
Apparently; with the old system, as records were held locally whenever the registered keepers address changed local areas; all records were transferred, hence the complete set for J2396 were sitting in Wiltshire County Records Office in the early 70s.

Edited by - JMH on 28/03/2024 15:26:46
Go to Top of Page

Rob Bell

United Kingdom
170 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2024 :  16:18:19  Show Profile
That's really interesting, thank you!

The last stamps are for London CC and then The Greater London Council. What do you reckon as to the chances of anything surviving??? Close to zero?
Go to Top of Page

Rob Bell

United Kingdom
170 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2024 :  17:08:20  Show Profile
I think I shall try completing the V888 to the DVLA and see what that comes back with. But if there are any other suggestions (or experiences with records from the former GLC/ LCC) please do let me know!
Go to Top of Page

George Wilder

United Kingdom
91 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2024 :  19:03:35  Show Profile
Rob
You will find all the old GLC/LCC records were destroyed with the advent of the DVLA in 1984.
Many later car owners with cars supplied and registered through University Motors in London do not have access to pre 1984 records.
Here in Essex the records were preserved by stroke of luck and can be found in the County Records Office.
George
Go to Top of Page

Rob Bell

United Kingdom
170 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2024 :  21:41:42  Show Profile
Thanks George - I feared as much.

The last “home” for the M type was in Sidcup, Kent: I think that that fell under the auspices of the GLC…

I’ll apply for the DVLA records, but I have a hunch that this will only come back with the same two names I - and the register - already know about.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000