Triple M Register
Triple M Register
Home | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Members | Search | Locate members | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Technical Information Forum
 Dynamic engine timing on PA using a strobe
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mdtech12

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2017 :  12:54:30  Show Profile
The manual for my PA says that the points should just start to open when the marking identified as "IGN" on the flywheel is in central alignment to to the clutch inspection housing. Great, so with a 12V bulb across the points terminal and earth I set the points and the engine runs OK. Now I decided to check this out dynamically with a strobe light and at approx 900 rpm found a previous white line painted on the flywheel which a predecessor put on now aligns with the centre, being a little closer to the TDC mark.

My question is, should I rotate the distributer when the engine is running so that the IGN mark aligns once again or not. The engine seems to run ok as is but really would like to know what I should do when check ing with a strobe light.

Many thanks

Mike

george

United Kingdom
535 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2017 :  14:12:37  Show Profile
Mike ,the figure given in blower is the static advance setting . The result you get with the strobe is the dynamic setting with the auto advance taking effect, both are correct. Geoff
Go to Top of Page

MR.B

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2017 :  09:01:28  Show Profile
Forgive my ignorance
1. How do you view the flywheel (for static timing) on my PB?
2. Lightbulb. Positive to the points (which side of the points) and negative to earth. Is this right?
I don't want to start the car without at least reasonably accurate timing.
Thank you
Michael
Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
33 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2017 :  10:22:19  Show Profile
I can answer question 2- lightbulb should be between earth and the points side of the coil.
Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
33 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2017 :  10:23:20  Show Profile
and oh yes, Conventional light bulbs don't have a positive or negative
Go to Top of Page

george

United Kingdom
535 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2017 :  10:29:14  Show Profile
The flywheel and timing marks are visible through the access hatch with 2 bolts on the top forward face of the gearbox bellhousing. geoff
Go to Top of Page

MR.B

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2017 :  12:09:39  Show Profile
Really sorry Kevin. Please explain exactly "points side of the coil" for this dunce. Is that the SW terminal on the coil (which on mine is a white wire which I think runs to the base of the distributor?

And thank you George. I had looked there but didn't see the flywheel (blind as well as dumb!). I'll look again.

Michael
Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
33 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2017 :  21:40:17  Show Profile
Yes, it is the wire on the coil which runs to the base of the distributor.

Could you look at your battery though and make sure the negative terminal is connected to earth. If so then all is good but if not it is highly likely that your coil is connected the wrong way round. It wouldn't cause any harm but just wouldn't work as well
Go to Top of Page

MR.B

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2017 :  22:00:36  Show Profile
Thank you again Kevin
Michael
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
2005 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2017 :  00:34:24  Show Profile
On a PA (and PB), the TDC and Ignition marks aren't easily visible, as they are scribed on the circumference of the flywheel and not the flat face. So one needs to look carefully to see the marks. On my flywheels I have extended the marks onto the flat face with a couple of lines of white paint.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2017 :  12:31:23  Show Profile
Not being a keen contortionist and disliking smoke and mirrors, I have painted two segments on the front pulley to line up with a convenient marking on the front housing (a bolt edge in my case.) Green from TDC to static ignition point and red from there on to maximum advance. This means I can relax in a garden chair with a strobe shining on the pulley, whilst adjusting the advance at the distributor.

I realise that this is not as accurate as the flywheel markings but it is effective, comfortable and good enough for me.

P.S.

I set the points before first start up using a very thin bit of paper gripped between them, adjusting at the ignition point when the paper is just freed as the points open. Saves messing about with leads and a bulb and good enough for a reliable start up.

Edited by - coracle on 13/10/2017 12:38:06
Go to Top of Page

Blue M

United Kingdom
743 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2017 :  12:57:09  Show Profile
With a pointer attached to the dynamo the timing marks can also be painted on the dynamo fork ring which of course runs at engine speed. This is very convenient for using a strobe and moving the distributor at the same time.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple M Register © 2003-2017 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000