Triple M Register
Triple M Register
Home | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Technical Information Forum
 Use of 2 stroke or Castrol R40
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bob Prichard

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2018 :  20:19:42  Show Profile
I know a few people who add 2 stroke oil or Castrol R40 (Very pleasant aroma) to the petrol tank.

Has anyone experience of either of these and what concentration do you use?

What is your experience and do you recommend?

Bob Prichard

Gordon

United Kingdom
630 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2018 :  22:23:59  Show Profile
There has been a lot of discussion over the years in vintage and pet circles of the benefits of adding 2 stroke oil to your petrol. A 1:200 ratio has been traditionally used with mineral 2 stroke oils with reports of improved ticker, smoother running and more power on the road. There are also suggestions that this dilution is not high enough.
There is much information in the US on tis topic. Summarising the recommendations: Use 2 stoke synthetic oil to TC W3 specification. This is for marine/outboard use. Ratio used is 1:500. The reason for using this spec. is because it burns without formation of ash and deals with water in the petrol and also from the presence of ethyl alcohol. The observed and widely reported benefits are smoother idle, slightly better fuel consumption and better performance coupled with much cleaner cylinder head and plugs.

Two points to note:
1. Much lower concentration used (1:500 as against 1:200).
2. All the reports I read were for "modern" engines whether fuel injected or with carburettors.

There have also been suggestions of lower under bonnet temperatures. It may be that it is stabilising the combustion process between successive combustions. If there is variation in the combustion process this is like having a variable ignition advance i.e. the optimum firing point is not realised with some earlier than optimum and some later than optimum. The latter would give hotter gases around the exhaust valve and higher egt hence higher under bonnet temperatures.

Gordon
ex owner of PB 0331, MG4473
Derby
Go to Top of Page

Blithe Spirit

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2018 :  08:53:57  Show Profile
There may be sound science behind this suggestion. In the latest of Paul Ireland's excellent series of articles in Safety Fast on Manchester University's combustion tests on an XPAG, it was found that adding kerosene to the fuel reduced low temperature volatility, hence reducing some of the adverse effects of modern petrol. However, they used much higher, 10%, mix. Maybe lube oil at very low concentrations could be an effective alternative. Or Redex?
Regards,
David
Go to Top of Page

Bob Prichard

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2018 :  18:37:04  Show Profile
Thank you Gordon and David for your very helpful comments, after further reading and a few trials I have found adding 10 mls of 2 stroke oil to a gallon of petrol made a vast improvement in starting especially in this very hot weather. the car ran better and this is a big improvement.
I very surprised at the lack of further comments. alot in the VSCC and well worth reading.
Many thanks
Bob Prichard

Bob Prichard
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple M Register © 2003-2018 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000