Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 Location details
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Robin Hamblett

United Kingdom
532 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2014 :  18:29:15  Show Profile
Hi all

The following pictures have been sent to me and I hoped someone may be able to shed some light on the locations or events please.

Many thanks

Robin

J2 J3666 & J3 3764

Mike the M

United Kingdom
480 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2014 :  13:22:15  Show Profile
Are the bottom two the 1936 Brighton Beer trial?
according to Cowbourne Toulmin was number 36 in JB 7521, 37 Crawford in an unknown car. Jones was in JB 7525 number 38.
The second photo looks to be the same farm, but do not know where!

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2014 :  16:15:20  Show Profile
BGN 444 in the first picture is identified in 'MG trials cars' as Ken Scales' car, which was number 67 on the same trial, so all you need is a route card and you are home and dry!

Regards,
Graham
Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
480 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2014 :  21:58:12  Show Profile
The route and results!

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2014 :  08:46:47  Show Profile
A coincidence, my friends dad ran the garage at Lobscombe Corner in the sixties. I stayed with him on many occasions- many happy memories but no M Gs at that time!

Regards,
Graham

Edited by - MaGic_GV on 24/02/2014 08:47:30
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1475 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2014 :  10:30:19  Show Profile
Picture 1 - don't know.
Picture 2 - about 5 miles south of....... I'm kidding. One telegraph pole in Devon or Somerset looks like any other !
Pictures 3 and 5 Hone Horror. This is (was) in the grounds of Hone Farm, off the A396 south of Dunster, and just up the road from Widlake. Since the photographs were taken, the bottom of the section in the farm yard has been chopped away to allow the installation of an oil tank. Some people have no respect for trials history. Both Hone and Widlake are on private property and permission from the owners or tenants should be obtained before any trespassing is done.
Picture 4 Worthy Lane between Exford and Edgcott in the depths of Exmoor. This section was the subject of loads of research and speculation by Bryan Ditchman and his merry band of Walking Trials friends. Now we have found it, it is (for me at least ) a bit of a disappointment as it is quite short, not very steep and the surface presents no apparent problems. Still, it is nice to find it after all the very considerable effort in doing so. It is a farm access (or egress) track, probably in normal daily use.
Any suggestions about picture 1 (and why not, Picture 2 as well) eagerly awaited.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
480 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2014 :  20:15:17  Show Profile
Pictures 4 & 5 were from the John Jones' archive of his Fathers' (J. E. S. Jones) photographs, and were only marked as on the pictures, no place names.

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1475 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2014 :  10:18:24  Show Profile
On cosidering this matter agsin, I think that Picture 1 (Ken Scales in his PA) is at the bottom of Slade Lane. I have been up this hill as passenger to Bryan Ditchman in D'Artagnan, which in true Bryan style he took at maximum revs in 2nd gear and I was more concerned with keeping my eye-balls in their sockets rather than enjoying the surrounding scenery. All the pictures are from the 1936 Brighton - Beer Trial and I know the other sections quite well - so Slade Lane is the most likely. This Section is directly off the A396 Dunster to Tiverton road, at the place known as Pitt Bridge (where Steve Dear says that he saw an otter in recent years.)

So that settles it - except of course for the situation of the mystery telegraph pole. Event 1936 Brighton - Beer, and the cars are Ken Scales in his PA BGN 444 and the 1935/36 Cream Cracker blown PBs - Toulmin in 7521, Crawford in 7524 and Jones in 7525.

Colin B.

Edited by - Colin Butchers on 25/02/2014 10:20:28
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000