Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Information required for K2 - K2019
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

KJ1592

United Kingdom
449 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2019 :  17:15:24  Show Profile
A friend of mine was fortunate enough to buy the ex Mike Waggott K2 at Bonhams recently. Firstly let me allay concerns that this could become yet another K3 rep. He is currently recommissioning the car and plans to leave it as original as possible.

He is however trying to piece together the cars history, especially pre war. He doesn’t have the chassis file yet so any information on the car including owners, competition history, etc would be most welcome.

The K2 is chassis no. K2019 - the last but one of the 20 built. It is fitted with its original engine no: 603AKD - - The last four models fitted from new by the factory with larger 1276cc engines of the KD type. Registered with Middlesex County number MG 2955 on 4th January 1934.

The previous purchaser Michael Waggott acquired it in a semi dismantled state without a log-book from a Garage on Tees-side, where it had apparently been left for an engine rebuild - but the then owner (of whom we know not the name) was reputedly in the Navy or Merchant service and went off on a tour of duty, and never returned to pay his bill nor collect it! The garage put it in an outside store which began to collapse, so they sold it to defray their unpaid costs - he has the original receipt for it even. Previous to that the only know record of it was with Chiltern Cars Ltd, dealers in Leighton Buzzard, who advertised it in the Motor Sport with a photo, and they had in turn purchased it from a Mr W. J. Bellis of Great Stukely in Huntingdonshire, and sold it in December that same year to a Mr D.W. Locker of Aston Clinton in Buckinghamshire. The letter from Chiltern Cars to Mike Waggott (also on file) states to confirm the chassis & engine number and date of original registration, which they had kept on their sale-file ledger. At some point, possibly from new its colour scheme was stated on an old buff log-book as being red & black - in what proportion I know not.

But it is the pre-war history which is completely lacking. One of the few surviving photos however, shows the car when almost new, outside the foyer to the Savoy Hotel in the early 1930s I presume. On the dashboard is an intriguing small enamel plaque inscribed "Ski-Heil" - apparently this is not a political slogan but in fact a skiers term of greeting when going on to the piste (much in use during the 1930s before WWII) translates effectively as "Have a good time on the slopes". This leads me to believe the car took a continental journey to Germany, Switzerland or Austria say during that pre-war period - it also has a large period GB enamel plate fixed to the rear spare-wheel carrier. I know that some of the continental events combined both skiing and hill-climbing for cars and competitors, but equally the owner may have just been on a touring vacation?

Finally, the last of the three photos we have in the file shows the car, now sporting cycle-wings and a definitive cutaway to the driver-side door, giving better elbow-room, as well as having twin aero-screens fitted - no longer on the car but evidence of old screw-hole fittings remain on the dashboard. It bears the race-number 23 on a roundel on the offside of the car and a smaller number 23 to the front grille, and the reg. number is also readable on the original photo, which has a simple pencil-caption verso inscribed "Alexander". Could this be the driver, surname or forename? Or the photographer even! So, enigmatic and tantalising is the foregoing, and I would dearly like to find out what competition history, if any besides this one event, which someone said could be either pre-or post-war - possibly on an old airfield site - but clearly near some housing which hopefully someone could maybe identify.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks as always, Ian.

KJ1592

United Kingdom
449 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2019 :  17:16:33  Show Profile
The car outside The Savoy

Go to Top of Page

KJ1592

United Kingdom
449 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2019 :  17:17:53  Show Profile
The car advertised in The Motor Sport magazine in 1953

Go to Top of Page

Brian Watson

United Kingdom
188 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2019 :  19:15:31  Show Profile
Ian,

Here's a long-shot for you regarding the Savoy photo: that photo was in the Bonhams auction of Savoy furniture and other stuff just before the last restoration of the hotel about ten years ago. The hotel shares its history and location with the adjacent Savoy Theatre where the works of Gilbert and Sullivan were performed. The two composers had offices in the hotel and many of the meeting rooms are named after their works. (Apparently they didn't talk to each other which perhaps explains why their work is so ghastly...) Anyway, at the time of the auction I read somewhere that one of them owned an M.G. in the thirties although I seem to remember it being described as an F-type but who knows?

Might be worth exploring that avenue.

Brian
Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
668 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2019 :  23:22:46  Show Profile
Brian. G and S both died long before MGs were around so that's a non-starter although Gilbert was a keen early motorist (drove an American steam car), and also an early crasher of cars.

As Gilbert later recounted in a letter to his cousin (Mary Talbot) dated October 1902:

“I dare say you’ve read in the papers I’ve taken to motoring, and that I made my debut by spoiling a parson…” he continues “The car was turned over in a ditch. I was pitched over the dashboard onto my head (I saw many stars of beautiful colours and was quite sorry when they vanished, and my wife was pitched very comfortably into a hedge.”

You are 100% correct on the "ghastly" part though!
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2019 :  15:09:52  Show Profile
I have this picture postcard showing C0265 at the exact same event as K2019, following it numerically as well. So far I have not been able to properly allocate it though. On the back it just says 'Rogers', though from another source (which I do not remember ...) I know that the pic was taken at the BACMSC Bristol Sprint at Filton Airfield in Gloucestershire on 28 October 1945. Since I don't remember where I learned this, I can't be sure that this is indeed correct, but neither do I have reason to doubt it.
Trouble is that to my knowledge A.P.O. (Bert, I believe) Rogers sold his car to A.G. Sanderson in 1938, who is believed to have sold it in 1939. From (at least) 1946 the car was owned and campaigned by R.K. Hart. Rumour has it Rogers stayed involved with his old car, but I have no hard evidence of this. There are a few entry numbers for events Rogers took part in with the car (1936-'38) missing, but the venues of these events do not tie up with the venue in the pic. Unless someone here believes it was either taken at Dancer's End (not a chance, if you ask me!), Aston Clinton, Southsea or Shelsley Walsh (again, no chance, methinks!) ...

Not much help then, sorry!

Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
752 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2019 :  17:47:42  Show Profile
In the picture of The Savoy the M.G. is parked on the 'wrong' side of the road, as this is, I understand, the only road in England where you drive on the right. I think it was something to do with Taxi drivers being able to open the passenger door, the rear doors were suicide doors, so the driver could reach the read door handle without getting out of their seat.. Not a lot of people know that!!

John Cooper M 628
Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
668 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2019 :  18:09:52  Show Profile
Motor Sport had this to say about the event
https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/archive/article/december-1945/9/filton-speed-trials

The Filton Speed Trials

Half-Mile Airfield Course. F.T.D. by Gerard's E.R.A.

On Sunday, October 28th, the Bristol Aeroplane Company Motor Sports Club held a speed trial, open to members of local clubs, at Filton Aerodrome. As the first official sprint event to take place on one of the many perimeter tracks built during the last five years it was an occasion of some importance. The general public was not admitted, a wise precaution, since the arrangements for dealing with even the few non-competing members present left much to be desired.

The course used gave a straight and slightly downhill run of about 600 yards, a slight blind curve to the right then leading to the finish of the 1-mile course. The surface, tarred concrete, seemed to give quite good adhesion, but undulations and an adverse camber made the fast curve to the finish decidedly trying for a fast car or motor-cycle.

Fortunately, a soaking wet morning cleared up just in time for the first runs, which were by the 2-wheeler brigade, St. John Horsfall now being among this number. After the rider of a Triumph Speed-Twin had succumbed to a highspeed wobble and been removed in the (push-started!) ambulance, the sports cars began to perform.

Of the 1,100-c.c. class, Morrish's blown M.G. was far too quick for the unsuper-charged Austins of Mallock and Allen. The sports regulations for this meeting imposed no penalty on supercharged cars, and, in fact, even the mild requirements for windscreens and spare wheel were not strictly enforced. The 1,500-c.c. sports class was opened by a 6-cylinder Singer "Le Mans," followed by the blown MG. Midget once again, and then Richards's abbreviated Rover, the latter healthy sounding and usefully brisk. Baillie Hill, with the H.R.G. which he drove so successfully at Naish House, went very well (aided by Eason Gibson, a broken push-rod was duly changed between runs), but had insufficient speed to beat Gerard's four-carburetter Riley "Sprite" on this course. McCormack had the blown Frazer-Nash, complete with hydraulic brakes, but appeared to suffer from clutch slip.

In the over 1 1/2-litre class, Howard Rowson ran a low-chassis 4 1/2-litre Invicta of pleasing aspect. Northway's departure in his immaculate Jaguar coupé seemed more Bond Street than Filton, but he reached the finishing line with reasonable expedition. Allard, running a touring-bodied Ford V8, with windscreen erect, was unspectacularly brisk. Parker, with cap reversed, handled his Jaguar 100 in brutal style, but got results, including several turns of a spin on one run!

First of the racing cars was Dowson's beautiful Lightweight Special, which was in excellent form. Poore's R-type M.G. had oil injected into the blower as it awaited the starter, but ran imperfectly and was slightly slower than the Austin-engined Lightweight. The Watkins-Nash ran well after initial hesitancy, but failed to repeat its Naish House success on this fast course; on the starting line the whole car rocked intriguingly as the engine was blipped!

Gerard's E.R.A., with de Ram shock-absorbers, plain gearbox and twin rear wheels, was in fine form, and made a series of excellent runs despite remarkable rear axle judder and spring flexing on the getaway.

A big draw for the spectators was John Bolster with his twin-engined Special. Careful stage management avoided any delay on the line for "No. 100," and "Bloody Mary" departed briskly down the course.

Decreasing visibility caused second runs to be taken in reverse order of classes, the retrogression from E.R.A. to unblown " 750's " providing an inevitable anticlimax. - J. L.

Results: -

Sports Cars Under 1,100 c.c.
1. A. W, Morris (847-c.c. M.G. S.) ... 36.2 sec.
2. D.F.Allen (747-c.c. Austin) ... 46.8 sec.
3. (F/Lt. A. R. Mallock (747-c.c. Austin) ... 48.0 sec.

Sports Cars Under 1,500 c.c.
1. F. R. Gerard (1,406-c.c. Riley "Sprite") ... 33.0 sec.
2. K. V. Baillie Hill (1,496-c.c. H.R.G.) ... 33.2 sec.
3. R. E. Richards (1,496-c.c. Rover) ... 35.0

Sports Cars (Unlimited)
1. L. Parker (3,485-c.c. Jaguar 100) ... 31.6
2. K. V. Baillie Hill (1,496-c.c. H.R.G.) ... 32.6 sec
3. F. R. Gerard (1,406-c.c. Riley "Sprite") ... 33.1 sec.

Racing Cars Under 1,100 c.c.
1. A Issigonis (747-c.c. Lightweight Special S.) ... 32.0 sec.
2. W. O. Watkins (996-c.c. Watkins-Nash) ... 32.7 sec.
3. D. Poore (746-c.c. M.G. S.) ... 34.2 sec.

Racing Cars Under 1,500-c.c.
1. F.R. Gerard (1,496-c.c. E.R.A. S) ... 26.3 sec,
2. W. O. Watkins (996-c.c. Watkins-Nash) ... 32.7 sec.
3. D. Poore (746-c.c. M.G. S.) ... 34.3 sec.

Racing Cars (Unlimited)
1. F.R. Gerard (1,496-c.c. E.R.A. S) ... 27.1 sec,
2. J. V. Bolster (1,962-c.c. Bolster Special) ... 29.9 sec.
3. S. H. Allard (3,622-c.c. Allard) ... 31.0 sec.

Jottings

The cars were got away very promptly indeed, Aldis lamp signalling (supplemented by radio) being used from the airfield control tower to start and finish lines. Starting was "when you're ready," 12 in. behind the "shoe." But the actual starting and finishing lines were quite unmarked!

Paddock organisation was negligible, cars parking wherever they chose and coming to the line when (and if) they heard the loud-speaker car at the start call for their class. As for scrutineering, if sports cars are specifically required to carry screen, spare wheel, etc., then such sights as Baillie Hill leaving both items in the paddock should be discouraged.

The R.A.F. fire and ambulance services, when called on, came promptly. But a belated call for the St. John's ambulance scarcely galvanised the crew into activity (it rather seemed to petrify them !); the engine would not start on the button or handle (wound by spectators), and the ambulance was finally pushed to the unfortunate motor-cyclist.

John Bolster has resolutely turned his back on the 4-J.A.P. Special, as life ls too short to tune and drive it. Instead, he will turn his back (but in the Fry manner!) on a V8 Mercury engine.

Adams's Bugatti-Anzani was interesting, though it went very slowly indeed. the twin-cam engine is like Teddy Worthington's, with twin S.U.s, Lucas magneto on the rear of the off-side camshaft, L.10 plugs, oil tank on the crank-shaft nose linked to a scuttle tank. The clutch is by Borg and Beck; the gearbox is Molsheim.

Edited by - KevinA on 27/06/2019 18:12:43
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1481 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2019 :  18:16:48  Show Profile
Thankyou for sharing that with us Kevin!

Colin Murrell
D0285
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)
http://www.triple-mracing.com/
Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
668 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2019 :  18:40:56  Show Profile
This site also has some interesting references

https://forums.autosport.com/topic/32352-filton-sprint-1945-and-whitchurch-races-1959/

Pete Stowe would seem to be worth tracking down. He is (was?) the archivist at Castle Combe
Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
668 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2019 :  23:31:03  Show Profile
Pete Stowe has written a history which includes this event. His contact details are included here
https://bristolpegasus.com/club-information/club-history/
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1949 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2019 :  09:27:22  Show Profile

I wonder if this K2 still has it’s bronze cylinder head as mentioned in the 1953 advertisement (see above.)

Chris
Go to Top of Page

KJ1592

United Kingdom
449 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2019 :  09:41:20  Show Profile
All,

Thank you so much for your responses. I have passed them on to the owner and he is most grateful and will now follow up on some of the leads.

As I say he hasn’t got a copy of the chassis file for the car yet but it has an original MG registration number so it was presumably supplied new by University Motors. Does anyone know if the original county registration records survive for UM and if they do how they can be accessed?

Chris,

I’ve asked whether the bronze cylinder head is still fitted. I’ll update you when I get a response.

Thank you all once again,
Ian

Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1949 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2019 :  14:25:50  Show Profile

Thanks, Ian, much appreciated.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

John James

United Kingdom
960 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2019 :  14:38:16  Show Profile
Ian,

All the Middlesex (London County Council) records were destroyed.
Go to Top of Page

JCB

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2019 :  14:43:52  Show Profile
Ian and Forum:

UM is Leeds.
First place to start is Country Records Office.
Contact them and they will know what records they hold.
All the best.

John Bakewell
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000