Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 Distributor J2/3
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

oliver.renzow

Germany
123 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2019 :  13:02:23  Show Profile
I'm Looking for a J2/3 Distributor as complete as possible in restorable condition

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5999 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2019 :  15:28:59  Show Profile
Oliver,

When I was assembling a Lucas distributor for my J2 last year it was apparent that what I needed was simply an anti-clockwise DK4A or DKH4A (the 'H' simply signifies the HT leads exiting horizontally from the cap) and provided there wasn’t unacceptable wear in the shaft bearing, it could readily be built up to suit my engine. Since the advance weights are the same for all variants, the only variables are the rate of advance (governed by the springs) and the total advance (governed by the size of the holes in the action plate). Both of these variables depend on the state of tune of your engine so even if you found a perfectly original J Type DK4A, it wouldn’t necessarily suit your engine. The springs can be bought from Martin Jay who trades as The Distributor Doctor (q.v.) and a bit of trial and error with a file will allow you to adjust the holes in the action plate to give around 23 degrees of crank advance. You therefore want to find a distributor that has an action plate marked at 11 degrees or less, being distributor degrees, not crank degrees.

The final touch would be to find a suitable identity plate, but that might be a tall order. Perhaps our trade suppliers might consider having some made with suitable inscriptions?

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

oliver.renzow

Germany
123 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2019 :  17:52:24  Show Profile
Simon,

Thanks for your reply. I just walked through all my MMM-parts and found a clockwise DK4A. Will get in touch with Martin Jay to discuss if it can be used as a basis....
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5999 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2019 :  20:12:10  Show Profile
Oliver,

You need an 'anti-clockwise' DK4A; Lucas describe them when looking from the drive dog, not from the top. I’ve dropped you an email via the Forum system. Such emails can often end up in your spam folder so have a look there if it's not in your inbox.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000