Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Help Please..Photo.
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2019 :  12:27:31  Show Profile
I have found an original newspaper accident report photograph of the crashed / overturned MGJ2 ( J4129 ) of Dudley Cottingham in the British Newspaper Archive .....Uxbridge & West Drayton Gazette, Friday 12th April 1935 edition. Dudley and his companion both perished.

Is there anyone who is clever with photos who can select out the photo of J4129 ( ALX 124 ) in the ditch in Field End Road, Harrow in 1935. ?

I have managed to download the whole page of the newspaper article on my Cyprus computer ( I am there at the moment ) but fear that the file is too large for this application..

Thanks.

Chris

J2353
J4129

Edited by - MG Maverick on 26/09/2019 12:42:43

Nick Feakes

USA
3345 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2019 :  13:26:25  Show Profile
Chris
I assume what you have is an electronic copy of the newspaper article and you want the picture. Is that correct? If so, whilst it is not hard to extract the article from the page, the picture will be of very low resolution (due to the way images were printed with a minimum number of dots of ink per square inch) and any attempt to increase the size of one of those images results in the individual dots becoming visible. Now if you were able to obtain the original photograph from which the picture in the article was taken, that would be a horse of a very different colour.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2019 :  13:27:01  Show Profile
Chris, If you can send me the file via wetransfer.com I will see what I am able to do.

Dick Morbey
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2019 :  14:07:36  Show Profile
Thankyou both, I am currently in Cyprus which does restrict me to carry out the required details. The internet here is very ' sketchy ' at best, especially here in our village.

I have spoken to Angela Bird ( the previous owners widow ) who is very excited with the finding, her husband Michael never knew the significance of the J2 he dismantled although I have now in my possession the various artifacts of Dudleys that Angela has donated ( that were in Michael's office ), filed away and she discovered after his demise.

I hope Nick to be able to obtain a copy of the original photo, the newspaper one is as you describe, but the registration number is very clear, although its difficult to make out any details. At least I have now found the photograph I have searched for ...everything comes to him who waits ( or should I say persevere ? )

When I attempt to download the file I get .pdf not able to download.

I will be back in the UK at the weekend, Watch this space !

Chris

J2353
J4129

Edited by - MG Maverick on 26/09/2019 14:17:33
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2019 :  17:05:21  Show Profile

Chris

J2353
J4129
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2019 :  19:13:39  Show Profile
I have since heard from Nick and Richard, thanks for the efforts with a difficult photograph. I have discovered that the newspaper is still ongoing ( Uxbridge and West Drayton Gazette, Gazette House, 28 Bakers Road, Uxbridge UB8 1RG . I am hopeful that maybe they still have the original photograph from Page. 21 Friday 12th April 1935 to obtain better detail, when I get home that is.

Chris

J2353
J4129
Go to Top of Page

Max Headroom

United Kingdom
292 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2019 :  21:42:10  Show Profile
Chris,

wow what a great find!

if you have "Snipping Tool" on your computer, with the image on your screen, you just draw a box around the image with that tool and 'save file as...'

The snipping tool icon is like this...

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Inside every older person is a younger person – wondering what the hell happened.

Edited by - Max Headroom on 26/09/2019 21:43:08
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3213 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2019 :  22:35:11  Show Profile
I was able to crop the photo and do a little cleanup for Chris. But please don't let that stop anyone with a better photo editing package from trying.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

Max Headroom

United Kingdom
292 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2019 :  09:17:08  Show Profile

I can't do much with it - perhaps a good direct scan of the newspaper itself might improve it a bit but even that would be limited

I'd like to think the circled item is not a hand sticking out!

Looks like there might be some car-badges there for investigation, Chris.
In Lew's image, the one above the numberplate letter "A" looks a little bit like a Northwest London motorclub badge to me.
NH Cole had one - his son Bill is sure he still has the badges that were once on my car

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Inside every older person is a younger person – wondering what the hell happened.

Edited by - Max Headroom on 27/09/2019 09:20:32
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2019 :  12:01:52  Show Profile
Hello Mark, You could be right about the badge. The badges that were passed to me by Angela Bird were the two on the outside of this photograph, the centre plaque is a memorial Cottingham plaque. I can only assume that they were from J4129 as they both apply to this J2s history. Dudley was the secretery of the Harrow Light Car Club, only for a few months until his death and also raced ( and may have been a member ) of the JCC. I think I can deduce a ' banora ' type radiator cap, I can see a pipe coming from the cap ( but not easy ), hopefully I can get a copy of the original photo from the Newspaper.

Chris

J2353
J4129

Edited by - MG Maverick on 27/09/2019 12:09:50
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2019 :  22:48:53  Show Profile

April 12th jumped out to me as it is
my wife's birthday and also Cecil Kimber's.
Kimber would have been 47 if my math is correct. Thankfully my wife is much younger and still-kicking (me) .

Brian.

Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2019 :  11:13:50  Show Profile
Some update : I have to agree with Max Headrooms suggestion that the top left badge is indeed the West London Car Club. I think that the bottom right could be the Monte Carlo car Badge that I have, but not sure of the bottom left just above the number plate. Could it be an early RAC badge ? I am also intreaged by the ' V ' shape, difficult to make out what it might be...any ideas ?

I am nearly at the stage of finishing the conservation and rebuilding of the original ash frame and plywood floors etc. Unfortunately the scuttle ply panels did not survive and I have copied in birch ply. Most of the rear panelling is missing from the firewall back, just one section behind the spare wheel remains. All the original green interior trim panels have survived, save one, all will be conserved and refitted. Original dashboard is painted matt black, but one of the larger gauge apertures has been opened up to fit ( as I suspect ) maybe a larger than a 2" clock, or maybe a seperate speedometer etc. something to follow up.

The original scan of the newspaper photograph of ALX 124 in the ditch overturned is currently at the British Library, so a visit there is on the cards, a high resolution scan service is available and may reveal some of the detail.

Chris

J2353
J4129
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2019 :  11:45:50  Show Profile
Perhaps the V badge is of the Company of Veteran Motorists?

(This ad from Motor Sport Aug 1967)

Dick Morbey
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK

Edited by - DickMorbey on 08/10/2019 11:46:17
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2019 :  17:37:26  Show Profile
Thankyou Dick, I had not thought of that, a good suggeston. I do not have a badge, then it would appear that the car was used post 1935 accdent and badges may have been ' altered ' .

Chris

J2353
J4129
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000