Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 L/K Flywheel Housing
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2138 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2019 :  18:07:54  Show Profile
I am starting some light commissioning work on my barn find 43 years stored F type. I plan to run it as it is, as it seems a shame to rip it to bits and make into another F 1/2. The car is interesting in that it has neem fitted with an N type engine with L type gearbox including L type trim plate clutch, wider front and rear axle plus 12 inch Wolseley hydraulics with drums lightened to the J4 style.

However, the flywheel housing has been very badly repaired in the past. Does anyone have a spare L/K flywheel housing they have spare doing nothing or, are willing to swap one for a perfect original P/N type flywheel housing. Alternatively, I may be able to offer a trade agains5 some new discounted price parastatals.

If anyone thinks they can help with this worthy timepiece then please can they email me direct at enquiries@vintagemgparts.com.

Rich

Vintage MG Parts

JCB

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2019 :  18:58:01  Show Profile
Richard and Forum:

I do not have the parts you require.
But I have a basic question.
I understand the N Type engine swap. Much better engine.
Why The L Type gear box swap?
Was not the original ENV gearbox a good option for the N Type engine?
All the best.

John Bakewell
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2138 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2019 :  23:43:18  Show Profile
I suspect there are a couple of plausible explanations

The L ratios may have been considered better than the ENV manual ratios. A more obvious reason may be that with the exception to very early F types which used the last of the crosstube ENV manual gearbox cases, this car most likely had the non-crosstube ENV case and as such, if the N engine were to be used in conjunction with the ENV box then there would have been no means to support the rear of the engine / gearbox into the chassis. The L clutch housing of course has the integral crosstube.

I could fit a crosstube ENV manual gearbox but I think it would be nice to keep it as it was modified in the 1960s/70s or whenever it occurred.

Rich

Vintage MG Parts

Edited by - Richard Hardy on 30/11/2019 23:47:13
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000