Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 New Forum Member
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

guitarrero

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2019 :  11:09:30  Show Profile
I'm new here and just wanted to say hello!

My interest has been piqued in these cars after a chance encounter last Sunday, whilst walking the dog, when we stumbled across a Rally/Fun Run of a mixed bag of vehicles around the farm tracks of the Daylesford Estate on the Oxon/Glos borders.
In particular I was taken by a very muddy M-Type whizzing briskly around and having great fun ... it was a dark blue fabric body car ... maybe it was someone here?

Since then I have started reading up on these great little cars, and as a result I have found my way here.

I am now seriously considering buying an M Type and am at the beginning of my journey to find the right car for me ... any pointers or wisdom from forum members would be much appreciated!!

All the best,
Steve

Chipping Norton, N. Cotswolds

colintf

United Kingdom
1481 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2019 :  13:00:39  Show Profile
Hi Stephen and welcome.
You are doing the right thing, research, research and more research.
Mike Dalby is our M Type Register man, but there are several in the area not far from you, including those used in competition.
Keep your eyes open for VSCC events (where M Types can often be seen competing) and other Register events. (VSCC Brooklands Driving tests in January, MG Stoneleigh show in February for example)
Get to know the cars and what to look for and get to know people as well.
Best Regards
Colin
You'll find the ideal one for you, and then have a lot of fun

Colin Murrell
D0285
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)
http://www.triple-mracing.com/
Go to Top of Page

chapelfarmer

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2019 :  14:39:58  Show Profile
If you want to go straight to shopping:
Robin Lawton has two M Types for sale.
Andy King had a useful-looking car for sale recently too, may still be available. He is someone who knows a lot about this sort of car.
Good luck!

john
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3228 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2019 :  17:05:57  Show Profile
Hi Steve
And a big welcome from me.

Apart from all the superb info you can glean from this website you may not be aware the Register produces a very good Yearbook, available from the Library. We also have a quarterly Bulletin - the subscription application form is available in the Documents Section.

Good luck in your search for an M type, as already indicated there a few for sale including a rather nice looking one built in the style of the 12/12 Le Mans car. It is expensive and is advertised on the www.pre-war.com web site.

George
Registrar F/L/N types
Go to Top of Page

guitarrero

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2019 :  19:13:52  Show Profile
Thanks to all for your encouragement, and for the useful information.

The VSCC HQ is local to me so I will pop in and see what I can find.

I think I definitely need to increase my knowledge of these cars, and the people involved with them, before jumping in and buying.
I did however have a sneaky peek at the 12/12 Le Mans replica that Robin Lawton has (very smart indeed!) and I have discovered the 'for sale' section of the MMM Register. I have also found Andy King's website, so will have a look there too.

Looks like I have plenty of homework to do!

Cheers!

Steve
Go to Top of Page

guitarrero

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2019 :  13:10:13  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by colintf

.... but there are several in the area not far from you, including those used in competition.

Thanks Colin,
I would be interested in getting in touch with M Type owners in my area; would you be happy to let me have further details? .... probably better by email than in the open forum, just to be safe.

All the best,
Steve
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1481 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2019 :  14:38:38  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by guitarrero

quote:

.... but there are several in the area not far from you, including those used in competition.

Thanks Colin,
I would be interested in getting in touch with M Type owners in my area; would you be happy to let me have further details? .... probably better by email than in the open forum, just to be safe.

All the best,
Steve

Hi Steve, I believe Frank Ashly has offered his competition M Type to be on display at the MG Show and Spares Day on the Register's Clubstand Sunday 9th Feb. Pop along if you can.

Colin Murrell
D0285
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)
http://www.triple-mracing.com/
Go to Top of Page

guitarrero

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2019 :  10:17:41  Show Profile
quote:

Hi Steve, I believe Frank Ashly has offered his competition M Type to be on display at the MG Show and Spares Day on the Register's Clubstand Sunday 9th Feb. Pop along if you can.

Thanks Colin ... it's in the diary; that's a good start anyway

Steve
Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2019 :  16:20:14  Show Profile
Welcome to the world of MMM motoring and the M type in particular.
As Colin said look around and if possible have a ride in one!
There are a number near you in the Cotswolds, and there were 16 at Pre War Prescott this year!!
Do not hesitate to contact me with any questions.

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

guitarrero

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2019 :  19:28:05  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Mike the M

Welcome to the world of MMM motoring and the M type in particular.
As Colin said look around and if possible have a ride in one!
There are a number near you in the Cotswolds, and there were 16 at Pre War Prescott this year!!
Do not hesitate to contact me with any questions.
Mike Dalby

Many thanks Mike.
I have already been contacted directly by a couple of M Type owners in Gloucestershire, and Andy King has been in touch too.
I will doubtless be in touch with questions for you ...

All th best,
Steve
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000