Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 Windscreen serrated washer
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kimber

United Kingdom
1526 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2020 :  15:18:49  Show Profile
I am in need of one of these washers.

The two that I have are different in respect of the positioning of the serrations in relation to the square locating spigot. See accompanying diagram.

Type A is a nice fit on my original early type screen with the serrations fully engaged whereas Type B does not fit because the serrations cannot engage as they are positioned differently.

I am therefore seeking another as per type A.

There could be several explanations as to why there should be this difference. For example, maybe the early and late-type 'screen differed in this respect?

Anyone else come up against this problem?

Sorry about the inverted pics.

Edited by - kimber on 12/03/2020 15:20:26

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2138 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2020 :  21:01:37  Show Profile
Are they the same thickness Andrew as the Riley Sprite used a thinner one and may possibly have different serrations

Rich

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page

Robert R

Austria
320 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2020 :  08:54:10  Show Profile
Hello Kimber!
For me, the teeth are also different. The problem is also here.
Can someone help?
I would look for someone who offers the manufacture for the old system.

Robert (F1164)
Go to Top of Page

Gerhard Maier

Germany
864 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2020 :  09:49:36  Show Profile
On my NA0468(ND) these serrated washers fit exactly, but the number of serrations is not the same on both sides.
So I must care, that I never mix them up.
Left I have 29 serrations and right there are only 28 serrations.
Could that be the problem in your cases ?
Gerhard
Go to Top of Page

Robert R

Austria
320 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2020 :  10:27:54  Show Profile
The number of teeth on my discs is 28 (old) and 28 (new). For me the problem is the teeth are staggered. See pictures above for my posting.

Robert (F1164)
Go to Top of Page

Gerhard Maier

Germany
864 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2020 :  12:11:33  Show Profile
When you look at my washer below, you will see, that the inner diameter
of the washer is left open from serrations.
So there is no risk, that the serrations can collide with the area indicated by the red arrow.
Could that also be a problem ?
Gerhard

Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1526 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2020 :  16:25:34  Show Profile
Well, there’s a can of worms I did not expect to be opening!

Thanks for the replies chaps.

Richard: There is a marginal difference in thickness of the 2 different washers I have (type A being 6.8mm and type B 7.1mm) although, with respect, I cannot see how that would have any bearing on the alignment of the serrations.

Robert: Very interested to hear that we are apparently both struggling with the same issue.

Gerhard: The plot thickens! All of the components I have are 28 serrations. How strange that your car has 2 different versions (28 + 29). I am interested to see that the serrations/splines on your car are only around the outer edge of the washer.

In my case, the face of the threaded boss attached to the windscreen (pic below) is also serrated/splined whilst yours is not. (On reflection, I think ‘splined’ is probably more accurate).

Thinking about it, a quick/simple solution for me might be to replicate the set-up on your car by removing the splines from that component because, as the arrangement on your car demonstrates, they are not vital. The 2 square spigots alone appear to be sufficient to anchor the washer once the B nut is tightened.

That said, my preferred solution would be to source another washer of the appropriate type.

Edited by - kimber on 13/03/2020 16:35:13
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1949 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2020 :  16:36:00  Show Profile

Hello, Andrew.

I understand the splines are there to enable you to adjust the rake of the windscreen.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

Gerhard Maier

Germany
864 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2020 :  17:06:38  Show Profile
Andrew,
just for clarification the photo below.
Gerhard

Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1526 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2020 :  17:28:04  Show Profile
Gerhard, Chris

Thanks for your further input on this. It is helpful.

I understand how the mechanism works but I think I can get round the issue I have by modifying the parts I have to end up with something close to Gerhard's set-up.

Gerhard, I note the presence of a spring in your most recent picture - That is a good idea and not something I have previously seen. I can see why that would be beneficial.

Still hoping someone might have a spare washer (Type 'A' in my initial photo/drawing).

Edited by - kimber on 13/03/2020 17:32:20
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2138 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2020 :  22:00:18  Show Profile
Hi Andrew

I only mentioned the difference in thickness to illustrate that there may have been variations for different marque applications. These may then have been swapped over time onto other cars and not necessarily have performed correctly

Rich

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1526 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2020 :  22:42:45  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Hardy

Hi Andrew

I only mentioned the difference in thickness to illustrate that there may have been variations for different marque applications. These may then have been swapped over time onto other cars and not necessarily have performed correctly

Rich

Vintage MG Parts

Fair comment.

I have seen fittings of this type on Auster screens in front of rear seat passengers on open 4-seat vintage cars e.g. Bentley. They certainly look very similar but whether they are identical I don't know.
Go to Top of Page

Moth eaten

Australia
939 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2020 :  07:48:09  Show Profile
Frankly these serrated washers are very crudely cast, but that's Morris Garages. Its the way things were done then.

N.D.Willey
Go to Top of Page

Peter Frost

United Kingdom
56 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2020 :  18:22:12  Show Profile
This is not a simple spring. Pictures of holes and side rebate for the spring are shown in the pictures below. Does anyone know what the spring should look like?

On the arm that mounts onto the body, there is a serial number stamped on the backside of the serration and this number is also stamped on the serrated washer fitted to it. I image this is a rare occurrence.

I have a mix of 28 & 29 teeth on my pair of arms.
Peter

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000