Triple M Register Forums
Triple M Register Forums
Home | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Technical Information Forum
 Fixing an oil leak.
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NickPoll

France
34 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2020 :  18:48:33  Show Profile
A couple of weeks ago I was out in the PA and smoke started come from the engine bay. I pulled over and opened the left bonnet half. Oil was leaking from the rocker box gasket all over the exhaust manifold. Today a new gasket arrived in the post,so this afternoon I fitted it. Somehow the old gasket wasn't a good fit and the cause of the leak was obvious.All sorted now.

Tim

United Kingdom
34 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2020 :  22:01:58  Show Profile
Probably teaching Granny to suck eggs but I always Evo-Stik the new gasket to the rocker cover. Stays where it is then.
Go to Top of Page

briang

United Kingdom
217 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2020 :  11:00:10  Show Profile
I had the same problem, and a steel rule showed that there was a slightly uneven bottom face to the ali cam cover.
Set down on a totally flat surface (I used some plate glass) and a feeler gauge set to just a few thou, I could easily tell where I needed to shave a little off the ali. Shave and check, shave and check etc
I used a body file, but an ordinary coarse file or a Surform type plane would be just as good. After an quiet hour of careful trimming, I had a surface where I couldn't detect any high spots with the feeler gauge.
I made a gasket from thick card which I trimmed carefully around the shape of the top of the cylinder head. It is wider in some places than others, so it gets a better seal than a cork gasket of uniform width.
I photocopied my card gasket, so I could cut another one if needed.

I did this a couple of years ago, and have had no leaks in that area since then.

Brian
Go to Top of Page

NickPoll

France
34 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2020 :  07:37:23  Show Profile
Thank you both for the tips.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: