Triple M Register Forums
Triple M Register Forums
Home | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Technical Information Forum
 J2 floorboard hatch
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

njnh

United Kingdom
286 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2020 :  15:59:46  Show Profile
Information please...
Is there a dimensioned drawing anywhere of J2 floorboards including the hinged hatch for brake adjustment? The forum has a drawing of PA floorboards. The mgmmm website has a drawing of J2 floorboards but I can't see any dimensions (see attached) for the size and position of the hatch even though there are arrows indicating where the dimensions should be. Am I missing something?

Nigel H

RBob

New Zealand
10 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2020 :  16:59:58  Show Profile
There are some details in Octagon Heaven (under documents on line)
Article 187 which may help.
Cheers
Rob
Go to Top of Page

njnh

United Kingdom
286 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2020 :  19:02:31  Show Profile
Rob, thanks for pointing me in the direction of the Octagon Heaven article. I hadn't thought to look there.

One problem. The article indicates that the rear-most edge of the hatch should be 15 inches forward of something, but doesn't indicate what that is! It looks as though the driver's side floorboard should be in two parts and the 15 inches is measured to the join between the forward part and the rearmost part. BUT, my understanding is that J2 floorboards should be one-piece, as in the mgmmm drawing.

Any ideas?

Nigel H

Go to Top of Page

njnh

United Kingdom
286 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2020 :  19:09:17  Show Profile

One problem. The article indicates that the rear-most edge of the hatch should be 15 inches forward of something, but doesn't indicate what that is! It looks as though the driver's side floorboard should be in two parts and the 15 inches is measured to the join between the forward part and the rearmost part. BUT, my understanding is that J2 floorboards should be one-piece, as in the mgmmm drawing.

Any ideas?

Nigel H
Go to Top of Page

RBob

New Zealand
10 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2020 :  23:54:25  Show Profile
Sorry Nigel,
I just knew there were some details there. Noticed them when I was looking at redoing my floor boards a while back. Unfortunately my existing boards don't have a hatch so I can't measure that for you (the car has hydraulic brakes)

Cheers
Rob
Go to Top of Page

denism

South Africa
8 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2020 :  15:29:25  Show Profile
Hello Nigel,
I have just completed a new set of floorboards for J3435 and still have the original set. I did not make drawings of the old boards but rather used them as templates. I will take measurements and also give you a picture of the hatch.
Rgds
Denis

Regards
Denis
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
3996 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2020 :  16:44:24  Show Profile
Interesting - J3435 is in South Africa, J3436 is in Ohio, J3437 is in Northern Ireland and J3438 (the first swept wing car) was in England but was sold through through Terry Bone a few years ago and I donít think has been heard of since. But they do get around, donít they?

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

denism

South Africa
8 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2020 :  11:53:16  Show Profile
Hello Nigel

Here are the dimensions of my floorboards as dismantled. They certainly need a bit of adjusting to get a good fit!!

Regards
Denis
Go to Top of Page

njnh

United Kingdom
286 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2020 :  12:18:14  Show Profile
Denis

This is brilliant. Thank you so much. I note that the steel hinges are simply laid on top and screwed down to the board/hatch. Obviously it was cheaper for MG to mount the hinges this way rather than to edge-mount them, which would have looked neater!

Thanks again
Nigel H
Go to Top of Page

Brian Watson

United Kingdom
178 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2020 :  09:46:34  Show Profile
Nigel,

MG appear to have always mounted that type of hinge in that way: it's the same on the P-type hatch, the battery box cover and on the under-bonnet toolbox.

Probably not enough thickness in the ply to allow for anything more sophisticated.

Brian
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
692 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2020 :  11:10:39  Show Profile
I know this is not 'original' but the driver's side floor board in the J3 (almost certainly not original) is in two halves, the split being in front of the driver's seat. This makes it easy to remove the board to work on the brake mechanism etc without having to take out the seat(s).

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
3996 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2020 :  18:10:45  Show Profile
Fully agree, Ian. Oliver Richardson did my floor boards like that and it does make working on the brake mechanism much easier than with just a hatch.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
2979 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2020 :  19:15:14  Show Profile
My original PA floorboards were divided fore and aft, so the foreward one can be remoived without disturbing the seats.

Dick Morbey
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
2767 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2020 :  19:50:57  Show Profile
I think it is original for the floor boards to be in two halves, as Dick points out the front half can be removed without disturbing the seats.

Several of my P types as well as NA0960 had original floor boards and all were in two halves. The L2 boards are also split but they are not original

George
L2023.
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1310 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2020 :  19:56:53  Show Profile
I think introduced for the Ps and Ns... Js and Fs I think had one piece boards...
Go to Top of Page

Robin Macmillan

United Kingdom
342 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2020 :  22:27:20  Show Profile
My PB purchased circa 1966 did have split floorboards... but split diagonally ... this I have retained as it gives good access to the brakes/ gearbox etc ...is the splitting described by others also diagonal ... by that I mean not parallel boor at right angles to the chassis members.

Robin

PB 0527
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple M Register Forums © 2003-2020 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000