Triple M Register Forums
Triple M Register Forums
Home | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Technical Information Forum
 Water temperature gauge.
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

graham3647

United Kingdom
323 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2020 :  11:52:11  Show Profile
Is it possible to anneal the copper pipe from the radiator fitting to the gauge?
I understand that the enclosed gas is highly inflammable. Maybe immerse the gauge in water and possibly the fitting too??? Obviously the gauge is removed from the car.
I have a Water temp gauge but the pipe is not annealed.
Thanks..

Edited by - graham3647 on 05/04/2020 12:11:46

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
692 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2020 :  15:21:32  Show Profile
Annealing copper would require a temperature in excess of 400deg C for a short period. That would blow a closed system apart, big time!

You should be able to bend it, as is, round a former, but not unsupported.

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

JohnE

United Kingdom
261 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2020 :  19:33:17  Show Profile
Our temp gauges are actually 100psi pressure gauges, just like oil pressure gauges. The bulb is partly full of diethyl ether, so the vapour pressure reaches atmospheric pressure (zero on the gauge) at 34 deg C. Vapour pressure at 100 deg C is about 97 psi, and the scale is nearly logarithmic..

The tube has a bore of only 1 mm or so, and so it may be OK to locally heat it. The important thing is not to melt the solder, or if you have ever have to part the line, pop the bulb in a bowl of ice first to keep the ether happy as a liquid. Oh, and remember that it auto unites at 170 deg C. Your soldering iron will be around 350 deg C.

JohnE
Go to Top of Page

graham3647

United Kingdom
323 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2020 :  19:54:45  Show Profile
Hello John,
Would it be okay to cut the tube, place the bulb in a bucket of ice whilst I anneal the tube. I could rejoin the tube with a straight compression connector.

Many thanks,
Graham.
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1029 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2020 :  20:47:53  Show Profile

Hello, Graham.

I agree with Ian, unless the piping is in very poor condition you should be able to bend it easily without going to all that trouble.

Regards,

Chris
Go to Top of Page

graham3647

United Kingdom
323 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2020 :  21:13:41  Show Profile
Hello Chris,
The trouble is that this gauge has been installed in another car previously and the tubing is very hard and as you might know itís bordering on brittle. Also itís not easy to bend in place due to the routing of the tube.
Alternatively I can get the gauge regassed after annealing ?

Thanks for your help.
Graham.
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
692 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2020 :  07:34:14  Show Profile
Speedograph Richfield will re-pipe to the length you need, re-gas and calibrate if you decide to do a 'good' job. Assuming they are open!

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

JCB

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2020 :  09:05:37  Show Profile
Graham and Forum:

Just a thought.
Can you not attach or fix it to something.?
Cable ties . Now are available in metal.
All the best.

John Bakewell
Go to Top of Page

graham3647

United Kingdom
323 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2020 :  10:15:59  Show Profile
Hello IAN,
Yes Iíve used them before and Iíve had them in mind. Excellent company. Obviously itís not a rush job at the moment just one that I thought I could do whilst thins are as they are.
Thanks for your help.
Graham.
Go to Top of Page

rowinghuge

Canada
21 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2020 :  16:39:33  Show Profile
Graham, I would not even consider cutting the capillary tube. You are sure to lose the ether in the bulb while you are doing the annealing. Refilling the bulb with ether is tricky and you need a source of the correct type of ether. Compression fitting will most surely leak over time If you must anneal the capillary tube do as suggested - put the bulb in ice water or better yet antifreeze that has been in the freezer and but a heat sink on the tube near the gauge to prevent the heat from running into the gauge and melting the solder on the borden tube.
I have serviced a number of these temperature gauges and it is definitely my least favorite job of all my instrument refurbishments.
Hugh Pite J2 4188
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple M Register Forums © 2003-2020 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000