Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 Cratex abrasive rod
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

njnh

United Kingdom
388 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2020 :  10:02:03  Show Profile
I now have the aluminium sheet required for making my J2 dashboard (thank you Graham Runcieman) and I am looking for a supply of Cratex abrasive rod to do the engine turning. I prefer to use Cratex if possible, rather than alternatives. Does anyone have some left over from doing their dashboard that I might be able to buy from them? Alternatively, can anyone give me the details of a UK supplier?

Nigel H

Roger Cadogan

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2020 :  18:57:02  Show Profile
Hi Nigel, you no doubt have Googled this item, 1" rods seem available in the States but MSC, the UK supplier do not list the stick material. I am sure that a number of people would be interested if you manage to resolve this problem. That includes me.
Best of luck I'll watch this space.

Roger
Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
669 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2020 :  23:45:35  Show Profile
http://www.master-abrasives.co.uk/surface-finishing-products/polishing--finishing-abrasives/rubber-finishing-products.aspx
Say "We are the sole UK agent for this range, offering it in stick, wheel, kit and mounted point form"
Go to Top of Page

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2020 :  08:07:58  Show Profile
Hi Kevin. By coincidence l sent an email direct to Nigel last evening with the same info about Master Abrasives !. Hope he got it because l have two addresses for him.
Great minds think alike . Ray

Go to Top of Page

njnh

United Kingdom
388 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2020 :  10:48:16  Show Profile
Thanks Ray and Kevin.

Ray, I received your email and have just replied. Good to hear from you.

I will give Master Abrasives a call and let you know the outcome.

Nigel H
Go to Top of Page

Roger Cadogan

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2020 :  12:17:04  Show Profile
Hi Nigel, I have spoken to Master Abrasives on 01327 703813 and despite the skeleton staff ( the lady sounded very healthy though)I was given very comprehensive information. 1" round sticks would have to come from the States, about 10 Days although they keep 3/4" diameter sticks on the shelf here. The 1" sticks cost £33.70 plus delivery of £6.95 plus VAT. If more than one stick is ordered the they would be over £50.00 and be free of charge.

Roger
Go to Top of Page

njnh

United Kingdom
388 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2020 :  17:32:30  Show Profile
Thanks Roger

I had a very similar conversation with Master Abrasives this morning. The main difference is that they quoted 6 to 8 weeks for delivery of the 1 inch sticks from the USA.

I also spoke to two other potential suppliers; MSC Direct and Kemet Ltd and neither company could supply.

Kind regards
Nigel H

Go to Top of Page

NeilS

United Kingdom
199 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2020 :  10:40:05  Show Profile
IN the past I have used GArryflex blocks ( and cut out round sections using a punch made from some 1" ID tube I had to hand ground up to a punch and then epoxy glued them to a mandrel turned up from scrap material Less than £5 each and makes three or four pucks) . It worked a treat for a fraction of the cost of Cratex imported from the Sates

Neil
Go to Top of Page

Roger Cadogan

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2020 :  12:43:26  Show Profile
Hi Neil, I looked at your suggestion about Garryflex Blocks and they look good. It sounds as if you have used them before so what grit grade would you suggest.

Roger
Go to Top of Page

Reinout

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2020 :  15:18:36  Show Profile
Nigel,

I'd be happy to purchase Cratex here in the US and ship it to you.

Reinout Vogt
Emma
1931 M-Type 2M/2735
Go to Top of Page

NeilS

United Kingdom
199 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2020 :  08:43:04  Show Profile
I would suggest 240 for a fairly subtle effect (I prefer this ) or 120 for something bolder. I suggest buying both as once you have them you will find loads of uses around the workshop. We use them at work for cleaning and polishing part for gas turbines.

Neil
Go to Top of Page

njnh

United Kingdom
388 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2020 :  09:28:07  Show Profile
This is proving to be an interesting topic. Reinout - many thanks for offering to source Cratex in the US. I may come back to you, but Neil's suggestion of using Garryflex, which is freely available in the UK, looks very positive. I may purchase a couple of Garryflex blocks in the first instance and practice on a piece of scrap aluminium. Neil, is the consistency of Garryflex uniform through the block or does it have a "spongy" core?

There is a question in my mind about whether the diameter used originally by MG was 1 inch or three quarters of an inch. I seem to remember that Rich Hardy suggested the original diameter was three quarters of an inch, supported by the illustration of the J2 dashboard on page 50 of the Instruction Manual which seems to show around 98 swirls across the dashboard. On the other hand, this illustration may have been of a pre-production dashboard, suggested by the presence of a white-faced temperature gauge. There would certainly be more work involved in using a three quarters of an inch whirl rather than 1 inch. The total number of swirls required would increase by around 750, ie around 60% more. Does anyone have an opinion based on a definitely-original dashboard?

Nigel H

Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6023 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2020 :  11:03:17  Show Profile
Nigel,

I can’t offer the precision of an exact size but the mottled effect of the dash in these photos would suggest that it wasn’t an absolute precision exercise. (Note also the lack of a glossy finish )

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

NeilS

United Kingdom
199 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2020 :  11:24:32  Show Profile
The Garryflex block is a consistent mix of rubber and abrasive throughout the block so it can be carved to fit a shape. that is what we do with 600 grit ones to polish the Hirth tooth interfaces on turbine disks. I think Garryflex and cratex are very similar but Garryflex is not available in round sticks.

Neil
Go to Top of Page

sven

Sweden
425 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2020 :  12:48:21  Show Profile
Nigel
I can’t really say that my L2 dashboard is "definityly original", but the car was partially dismantled and had reputedly been sitting since before the war when I acquired it. I bought it in 1974 and the dashboard had the body number scratched on the backside. The swirls are ¾” and were replicated on the original board by cork and valve grinding paste. It was not lacquered in any way and the car has now been in use for 20 years.

Regards
Sven
L2039

Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2501 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2020 :  16:30:37  Show Profile
Cork & valve grinding paste are mentioned by Wheatley & Morgan in their restoration book. I guess the next best thing to an original dash is one made as it would have been in the day? Probably a bit cheaper too.

Dave
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000