Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Pre-war car performance
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mjlong

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2020 :  16:16:09  Show Profile
I don't know if other members watched the first episode of the new series of 'All Creatures Great and Small', based on the exploits of the vet James Herriot in the 1930s, currently showing on Channel 5.

I recently found an archived thread about the performance of the PA, which I cannot find again. I acquired PA 0837 last year and I was looking for some guidance on the performance of these cars on the road. The initiator of the thread, who had also recently acquired a PA, was concerned about having to use 2nd gear to get up even modest hills.

This characteristic of pre-war cars was well illustrated in the first episode. Siegfried Farnon was introducing his new assistant, James, to motoring in the Yorkshire Dales. Driving down a steep hill with a series of bends at the bottom in a contemporary Vauxhall, Siegfried told James not to apply the brakes at the bottom, or the car would not make it up the hill on the other side of the valley. This meant that the driver had to negotiate the bends at high speed, in a car with typical 1930s roadholding characteristics.

Quite amusing and a good illustration of the limitations of pre-war cars, and the need to adopt different driving methods to those required in todays rather boring cars!

Mike Long
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000