Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Valve timing & controversy
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Oz34

United Kingdom
2495 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2020 :  21:18:34  Show Profile
A little while ago I read an opinion on the Forum to the effect that a Triple M engine will actually run quite well with the valve timing a little out but that, for ultimate performance, accurate timing was essential.

This took me back to the '60s when, before I found Mike Dowley, I could only get very second hand flexible couplings which didn't last long. In an attempt to solve my supply problem, I made a number of discs out of 1/4 inch leather. These were soaked in neatsfoot oil and, supported by penny washers, they lasted a while (well, I had no mileometer drive so...).

Of course they slowly stretched until the washers were nearly in contact and the timing must have been out by at least 10 or 15 degrees, but she still ran.

My MkII never got further than the drawing board as I found Sports & Vintage. It would, I think, have been a vast improvement. Instead of the disc, there would have been 4 segments of leather, or perhaps a fairly hard rubber. These would have been in contact with their neighbours and supported by similar steel sectors which would have been separated from each other by perhaps 1/8 inch and so would not make contact.

I feel that this would have maintained a quite accurate timing for a fairly long period.

The advantage I see for it, for what our friends over The Pond would call a street car, would be that, with the two forks not connected to each other, a small amount of relative movement could occur. This would not only allow for slight inaccuracies in assembly, but also perhaps be a little kinder to the vertical drive components.

Anyone interested in making such a set-up and trying it out?

Dave

Blue M

United Kingdom
1459 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2020 :  22:18:29  Show Profile
Soaking in neatsfoot oil was where it all went wrong. It makes leather soft and pliable and you wanted hard and springy.
Go to Top of Page

Keith Durston

United Kingdom
698 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2020 :  22:49:48  Show Profile
I agree with Ian about the oil. Back in the 1960s when I acquired my M type I found it impossible to get the prop shaft flexible couplings. I had an enormous stock of old ones that came with the car but they were all torn and vibrated like mad. Imagine my delight when I came across a multi layered leather new one that I could afford. Having fitted it it was a joy to drive the car without the vibrations. This lasted for about 500 miles until the oil that leaked from the engine, mostly from the vertical drive seal that was still felt, found its way back to the rear of the gearbox and quickly softened the leather. Yes, the vibration immediately returned.
Keith
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
651 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2020 :  15:14:51  Show Profile
Many, many years ago the white metal of the front camshaft bearing broke up on a run - This was fixed using a trimming from the leather belt of the trousers I was wearing !
It got me home & my trousers still stayed up !
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2495 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2020 :  16:57:37  Show Profile
Ian and Keith, I'm sure you're right. I knew nothing about leather and the people who supplied it said it would be a good thing to feed it.

I'm really hoping I might get some learned comments about my MkII.....

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2495 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2020 :  12:02:59  Show Profile
I must say that I am slightly disappointed that no one has seen fit to comment on my "MkII" version. I always thought it was quite good and, were I a bit younger now, I might be tempted actually to try it. As it is I'm quite happy with the easy availability of "the real thing" from Mike & Jamie.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

bernard.scott

United Kingdom
186 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2020 :  17:49:17  Show Profile
Dave.

I think the MkIi is a great improvement on the Mk1. There is an elegance to the simplicity of the Mk1, however.

When I was in Belize in 1975, I was impressed with the diverse uses made of scrap tyres. Footware, for example, and all sorts of flexible couplings. The boat that used to take us out to the Cayes on the reef made extensive use of tyre treads and sidewalls to provide couplings for its misaligned propshaft, engine mounts and an air compressor pump drive belt. I always wondered if similar material might make a more durable vertical drive coupling for set ups with misalignments, much like some steering column couplings.

Bernie
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2495 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2020 :  15:15:54  Show Profile
Thank you Bernie for putting your head above the parapet! It seems that either no one else is interested or that they haven't your courage.

Cheers,

Dave
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000