Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Tub Edge Piping
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TCTom

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2020 :  14:39:55  Show Profile
As the J2 and PA were built originally (all 2 seater MMMs for that matter . . .):
1. The cars with leather piping across the dash and Rexine down the sides (J2 and what others?): This would have been three pieces - correct? Two Rexine and one leather.

2. Cars with Rexine piping all the way around (PA, PB, and N?) - was the piping a single piece or 3 pieces spliced together?

3. Did the piping end at the back edge of the rear wheel arch inner panel on all models, and not carry across the back?

It's a small originality detail, and if one splices material carefully the joint can be almost invisible.

Tom Wilson
Zionsville, IN USA

PeterL

United Kingdom
1711 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2020 :  17:31:16  Show Profile
Some photos. Hope they help. Car thought to be original. Cheers. P

The piping runs as shown, ending with the piece that goes from door over the wheel arch.

There is also or was! piping around the edge of the trim on the inside of the wheel arch.

door as shown with piping going on round it, I think this is all one piece but have not had it off.

Piping around dash is separate.

It has triangular ends.

Go to Top of Page

mgtommm

USA
499 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2020 :  00:20:46  Show Profile
J2 dash piping is 3/16" core with leather, and a totally separate piece, as from under the dash, it's 1/4" core rexine piping all the way 'round meeting at the rear. Door tops leather.

P-Types are rexine piping, and I've seen this in one long piece. Door tops leather. Mike C'burn typically supplied P piping in three pieces.

N-Types are rexine piping but no idea if one piece. Door cards are leather and door tops are rexine (just to be different). The only place (interior) I've seen 5/16" core is N-Type rexine piping door tops.

Others may have seen different sizes or material types, likely based on availability. Peter's green J2 interior certainly looks like the real deal. Very nice. I've seen very small diameter piping around wheel well arch but also the more typical 1/4" core. Also, note on Peter's wheel well arch cover, the small rectangular section at the top is attached to the tub with round head NAILS, not screws. P's used this method, as well. Wonder why not screws?

Peter, can you see piping tack holes along the very back of the tub? I cannot tell in your photos but have seen them in other original tubs.

All have the typical core cut-out at the striker.

tommm on the north coast
Go to Top of Page

Simon

United Kingdom
447 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2020 :  17:42:53  Show Profile
There must have been variations but on my late(ish)J2 the interior was totally original (and well aged!) The piping was as shown in Peter's car and did not continue round to the back of the tub. It did have smaller diameter piping round the inside wheel arches. The 1/4" piping on top of the dash was leather covered, not rexine and I have retained this. Note on Peter's car the correct way to attach the door check straps. Simon C.
Go to Top of Page

Simon

United Kingdom
447 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2020 :  17:54:07  Show Profile
I may be wrong about the door check strap, the principle is correct but on mine the straps were/are as if rotated 180 degree with the outward facing screws on the door pillar. Which IS correct? (as if it really matters!) Simon C.
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2501 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2020 :  12:43:51  Show Profile
Off at a tangent Peter but I'm fascinated by your first pic showing the hatchway to the axle. This looks very like the one on my P which always looked original to me and yet is not the same as other Ps. My car is an early one with, among other things, J2 door latches.

Would I be right in guessing that your hatch is not attached to the body but fits into a lot at the back and then drops onto the side and front ledges?

Cheers,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6014 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2020 :  12:52:51  Show Profile
That’s certainly the way the hatch on my J2 is, Dave, and I suspect it’s the standard fitting. There should be a turn buckle on each side as shown in Peter's picture to hold it in place. When The Light Car tested a J2 in June 1933 they commented on a mysterious noise coming from the rear that was caused by the turn buckles coming loose and allowing the removable panel to rattle.

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 26/11/2020 12:55:18
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2501 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2020 :  16:20:59  Show Profile
Thanks Simon. As I say it always looked original to me being too neatly executed to be a bodge. Being an early car mine has a number of "J2" features and I guess this is just one more. Glad I didn't change it. I've also stayed with the turn buckles that are just rectangles of ali but perhaps I should go to an iron mongers and get the real thing!

Cheers,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
669 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2020 :  19:53:01  Show Profile
Ironmongers???
Do they exist any more? I thought the B&Qs of this world had swallowed them all up

I bought some turn buckles off ebay a few years ago for a similar type of thing. It was the only place I could find any nice old style ones.
Just search for "turn button latch"

Edited by - KevinA on 26/11/2020 20:06:14
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2501 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2020 :  20:44:24  Show Profile
Yes Kevin, I did type that rather tongue-in-cheek!

Dave
Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
669 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2020 :  00:43:02  Show Profile
I suppose I should have realised when you said "I should go...."

Boris has put a stop to going anywhere hasn't he!
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1711 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2020 :  07:50:11  Show Profile
Dave, yes it does.

and

Tom no suitable holes along the back...

Cheers both

P
Go to Top of Page

Oz34