Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 quick release steering wheel
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JCB

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2020 :  17:07:34  Show Profile

Dear Forum:

My question was getting lost in the last posting.
So will start from the top.
Is there a quick release steering wheel option for MMM cars.?
If a new replacement; will need to be period sympathetic.
All the best.

John Bakewell

Ktype

United Kingdom
342 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2020 :  17:36:49  Show Profile

My advice would be only to do this with great care. There are race weld - on bosses that can be (expertly) welded to the top of the column and have a relatively discreet flange. To disconnect the wheel the flange is squeezed closer to the boss. Example below:

https://gsmperformance.co.uk/product-category/in-car-equipment/steering-wheels-accessories/quick-release-kits/

Anything like this should be new from an impeccable source or crack tested. So when you confidentially turn the steering wheel the front ones faithfully follow

Go to Top of Page

paul55

Luxembourg
728 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2020 :  19:24:00  Show Profile
John, I got my lever assembly from https://www.svwspares.co.uk/ and had to modify it as Chris has already said. Give them a try.
Paul
Go to Top of Page

tjackson

Australia
105 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2020 :  23:13:59  Show Profile
Several of the P-types imported to Australia as rolling chassis and fitted with doorless bodies when new now have removal steering wheels to accommodate the aging legs of current owners.
The boss on the steering column is not welded and the original steering wheel center can be reinstated making the process reversible. The removable center is a proprietary product but I can’t find now who supplies them. John - if you contact me I can give you the details of who fitted it to the car.

Go to Top of Page

tjackson

Australia
105 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2020 :  23:30:06  Show Profile
John - a search for "WILWOOD QUICK RELEASE STEERING WHEEL HUB" should find the part, it looks like they are available to suit different diameter steering columns

Go to Top of Page

JCB

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2020 :  08:25:40  Show Profile
Paul,Paul and Forum:

Thank-you for your details.
Will carefully consider your emails.
All the best.

John Bakewell
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic