Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 University Motors badges, etc...
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KJ1592

United Kingdom
451 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2020 :  12:17:55  Show Profile
The subject of original MG dealers dash plaques has cropped up on numerous occasions over the years on the forum. I’ve been doing some spring cleaning during the cold, wet weather so thought I’d take the opportunity to take a photo of my collection as it may be useful to forum members for reference purposes. The UM dash plaques range from the late 20’s to the early 50’s. The round version is the earliest. I’m always on the look out for similar items that I don’t already have to add to the collection so if you have anything please do drop me an email.

Thanks,
Ian

Onno

Netherlands
1031 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2020 :  14:58:11  Show Profile
I’d love one of your doubles for my UM car

Onno "J,D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

JCB

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2020 :  18:39:56  Show Profile
Onno and Forum :

Until the real thing comes your way.
Repro examples are available see .
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSITY-MOTORS-LTD-DASH-PLAQUE-CHROME-MG-RILEY-AUSTIN-MORRIS-ULSTER-WOLSELEY/264941901553?hash=item3dafc496f1:g:RUgAAOSwru1d5kJ4

All the best.

John Bakewell
Go to Top of Page

Terry Hartley

United Kingdom
278 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2020 :  20:13:52  Show Profile
Anyone looking to buy a modern repro UM dash plaque should be aware that there is a batch of inaccurate ones in circulation (sometimes mixed in the stock of decent ones). The most notable features on duff ones are uneven letter spacing (between the R and A of STRATTON) and wrong typeface (most noticeable in the G of GROSVENOR).
The Ebay supplier exampled by John has both kinds in stock (or did have a few months ago) but was happy to exchange when I pointed out the differences.

Terry.
Go to Top of Page

JCB

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2020 :  20:39:40  Show Profile
Terry and Forum:

Well spotted Terry.
A perfect example of why Ebay ****!
Caveat Emptor. -(Polite version.)
All the best.

John Bakewell
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1488 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2020 :  22:00:47  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Onno

I’d love one of your doubles for my UM car

Onno "J,D" Könemann

What age is you UM car Onno?

Colin Murrell
PA0786 (D0285 previously)
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)
http://www.triple-mracing.com/
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1488 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2020 :  10:46:58  Show Profile
Onno, this may be of interest http://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=4162&SearchTerms=university,motors,

Colin Murrell
PA0786 (D0285 previously)
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)
http://www.triple-mracing.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mike on Thames

United Kingdom
121 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2020 :  21:22:43  Show Profile
Hi,
I was wondering how University Motors worked. My J2 was purchased from Morris and Carr, Theobalds Garage, Waltham Cross on the 1st of November 1933. The main agent was University and they delivered it on the 5th October 33. were they a wholesaler of some sort?
Has anyone got or was there ever a Theobalds dash plaque?
An interesting thread - I bought a university plaque a while ago - not sure it’s as original as purported.
Thanks
Mike
J3697
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3218 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2020 :  22:08:39  Show Profile
Although I can't see Morris and Carr listed as a dealer, they were likely such while University Motors was a distributor.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, 2M1281
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000