Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 J2/P type luggage rack - resolved
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Richard Le Flufy

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2021 :  12:10:35  Show Profile
I am looking for a luggage rack for my J2.
I am in touch with two potential suppliers but they both need an order batch of at least 5 to make it worth while. Both quote the same price of £180 in either stainless steel or chrome
Any one interested, please contact me and I will coordinate.
(I believe someone has already contacted Richard Hardy, could they contact me now please?)
Happy New Year
Richard

RLF
J3618

Edited by - Richard Le Flufy on 28/01/2021 11:54:12

Terry Hartley

United Kingdom
278 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2021 :  12:26:15  Show Profile
Richard

If one of the suppliers you're contemplating is Rich Hardy I would advise you check the £180 price with him. His website states £180 but when I enquired a couple of years ago he quoted a larger amount saying his supplier had put their prices up.

Terry
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6023 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2021 :  12:37:36  Show Profile
I’ve mentioned these guys before, and perhaps they’re one of the suppliers Richard Le Flufy has approached, but if not, worth a try - http://www.sportscarmetalworks.com/

However, be careful, Richard, as a P Type rack will not easily fit a J2 as the uprights are fastened to the chassis where it extends beyond the rear cross tube which, of course, doesn’t work on a J2. You therefore need to either find a way of securing them to the cross tube (but the exhaust hanger gets in the way), or bend them around the base of the fuel tank in order to fasten them to the chassis. I looked into this a few years ago and eventually gave up!

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 11/01/2021 12:38:53
Go to Top of Page

rapide

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2021 :  13:03:49  Show Profile
Hi have a look at the chrome supports I advertised . they could be a start
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6023 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2021 :  13:46:18  Show Profile
Garry,

Do you know for sure that your luggage rack supports will fit a J2? I ask because I have a pretty much identical pair and I can’t see any way to get them to work.

I’ve added one of your photos here, Garry, to make it easier to compare them. I hope you don’t mind.

SimonJ
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 11/01/2021 13:48:32
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2501 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2021 :  14:32:39  Show Profile
The fairly "standard issue" luggage rack uses hockey stick shaped support legs and this photo seems to show that they would fit around a J2 tank as you describe Simon.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6023 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2021 :  15:20:41  Show Profile
From the angle shown, it looks like it will fit, but it won’t. The uprights are clear of the back of the tank on a P Type but they need to go down the side of the tank on a J2 and then bend under the tank to reach the chassis. And the standard uprights won’t fit. That’s not to say that suitable uprights couldn’t be made, but as far as I could determine the standard fitting for a P Type doesn’t work.

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 11/01/2021 15:22:47
Go to Top of Page

DADA

Luxembourg
125 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2021 :  15:21:19  Show Profile
Hi, this is one I made for my J2 using part of a standard rack from a modern Midget. I prefer this style so that rear view is not a problem.
DADA

Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6023 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2021 :  15:29:56  Show Profile
That is a very neat solution although I think Richard is looking for a horizontal one for his vintage picnic basket.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6023 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2021 :  18:44:50  Show Profile
This picture (from the Cars For Sale section) shows that the uprights can be secured to the cross tube although it’s not clear exactly how.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Richard Le Flufy

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2021 :  13:28:23  Show Profile
I started this fascinating subject which has spawned a great variety of solutions. Many thanks.
I have solved the question by discovering that S&V had (the last)one on the shelf, which I purchased after quizzing Jamie about the shape of the uprights.
The result is perfect. The uprights are bent at the bottom, so go round the side of the tank, and I have utilised the rear bolt hole of the battery tray to attach to the chassis.
Can't wait for the spring!
Richard

RLF
J3618
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6023 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2021 :  14:25:23  Show Profile
Richard,
This is good news indeed as I had concluded that it wouldn’t fit my car but perhaps that was because of the way I have my rear lights located on the wing stay getting in the way of the uprights. Now all you need is a few bottles of claret and a couple of glasses and you’re good to go. If, of course, you’re allowed to go anywhere!

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1899 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2021 :  12:50:48  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Le Flufy

Can't wait for the spring!
Richard

Don't forget to re-fit the wheels first.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000