Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 M Type chassis plates
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Keith Durston

United Kingdom
691 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2021 :  16:39:35  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Grace

I think it is important that - close up if need be - one can tell an original from a reproduction chassis plate. For the benefit of future researches. I wouldn't want to see pure counterfeits out there.

I agree Ian. Although I have some regret that I leant my original Coupe plate to the Triple M Register years ago as the sample for the reproduction plates to be made. I still have their letter of apology when after using it as the basis of the reproductions they then went and lost it!
Keith
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3040 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2021 :  18:00:47  Show Profile
The S&V ad says "Guarantee Plates ... etched and filled as original."

The etching technology is relatively straightforward.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Ian Grace

USA
650 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2021 :  18:32:59  Show Profile
One other small thing to bear in mind. When a car returned to the works to have a replacement engine fitted (as was not infrequent, as recorded in the chassis files), then a new chassis plate was fitted - with both the chassis and engine number stamped. Frank Ashley's early Oxford-built 1929 M (2/M333) is a case in point. It returned to the (Abingdon) in 1931 for a replacement engine. Since the company name/address was now incorrect, a new plate was fitted (The M.G. Car Co. Ltd, Abingdon-on-Thames) - this time with both the chassis number and new engine number stamped onto the plate.

So, if you are planning to fit a reproduction plate, probably a good idea to check the history of your car for any works engine replacements - and when they were done.
Go to Top of Page

PreWarMG

Australia
395 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2021 :  23:32:00  Show Profile
Thanks - I should clarify that M1524 was a chassis only export to Australia, and was used in competition in the 1930's.
It was only "discovered" and restored in the 1990's and it is unknown when the chassis plate was lost. It may never have been fitted to the locally made body ?.
I had some issues when trying to re-register the car in 2019, and would like to fit a reproduction plate.

I will contact S&V.

Safety Fast
Tony

We are here for a good time, not a long time !.
Go to Top of Page

Ian Grace

USA
650 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2021 :  17:47:38  Show Profile
Tony, that is an interesting thought. The chassis plates on Minors was screwed to the firewall, and the firewall was pre-fitted to export chassis during production (so it was not strictly part of the body).

On the other hand, M plates were screwed to the woodwork at the front end of the body, so the chassis plate could not have been pre-fitted by M.G. before export, so it would have been up to the coachbuilder to find somewhere to fit it - or not.
Go to Top of Page

Blue M

United Kingdom
1455 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2021 :  18:49:32  Show Profile
Does Frank Ashley know? I think he was under the impression that his car had the very early 20bhp engine but would it not have been replaced with current 1931 version?
Of course that's a long time ago and it could have been changed again.
Go to Top of Page

Ian Grace

USA
650 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2021 :  19:34:49  Show Profile
It was Frank who sent me the info and its backed up by the chassis file entry.

The original engine fitted was 92A in June 1929. 226A was fitted 17th July 1929, then 219B was fitted 29th September 1931 and finally 236B was fitted 4th November 1931. Sounds like quite a lemon!

If I had time, I'd like to search for these replacement engine numbers in the chassis files of other M Types to see if they were originally fitted in other cars and returned under their gurantees - as opposed to being spare units. I suspect the former.

I have a de Havillland Queen Bee (pilotless drone version of the Tiger Moth). These were used for gunnery practice and when they were shot down (over the sea), the wrecks were recovered and the Gipsy engines (of high value) were recovered, reconditioned and installed in the next Be on the production line. The current engine in my Bee had been fitted to ten earlier machines!
Go to Top of Page

Ian Grace

USA
650 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2021 :  19:37:27  Show Profile
Also, note that the Morris Service Sheet for engine overhauls states, "All re-conditioned power units are modernised as far as is practicable."

So I think it safe to assume that these engines that were replaced in 1931 would have had the 12/12 cam fitted.
Go to Top of Page

PreWarMG

Australia
395 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2021 :  04:05:55  Show Profile
Ian, Do you have any photos of export chassis - Minor or MG ?. Re-reading my "Oxford to Abingdon" today revealed a large number of "chassis only" builds in 1930 & 31. The Carbodies list of bodies produced for MG Midgets in the same period is also interesting to read. There were a lot more M-Type Special Bodies than I imagined.

Tony

We are here for a good time, not a long time !.
Go to Top of Page

Rudy

Netherlands
9 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2021 :  19:46:51  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Grace

Thanks for the additional plates - keep them coming! The M.G. Car Company Ltd. was registered on 21st July 1930, so it will be most interesting to find chassis plates for cars that were recorded as having their chassis laid down around that date.

Hey Ian, It was 5 days earlier

Go to Top of Page

Ian Grace

USA
650 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2021 :  16:51:16  Show Profile
Thanks Rudy! I guess it might have taken a few days to become official. These days, with all our instantaneous worldwide communications technology, it would probably take weeks!

Tony, I'll attach a link here to an article on export chassis that I wrote for the Autumn 2020 Vintage Minor Register magazine. It includes a photo which you sent me of your 2/M1524 alongside Bill Fuller's 2/M1523, taken at their reunion in 2016. I believe these were the only two known M Type export chassis - at least to Australia.

http://www.vintageminor.co.uk/M%20175%20-%20Export%20Chassis.pdf
Go to Top of Page

Ian Grace

USA
650 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2021 :  23:35:46  Show Profile
And here's an article from the VMR Summer 2020 Magazine detailing and clarifying the history of the M.G. Car Company and the M.G. Car Company Ltd.

http://www.vintageminor.co.uk/M174TheM.G.CarCompany.pdf
Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
480 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2021 :  16:23:55  Show Profile
Interesting discussions!
Could David, AFM 781, please email me! Many thanks.
No contact in the 'Profile'!!

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000