Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Messrs. Dan T. Munro & Sons
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2021 :  16:14:13  Show Profile
Has anyone ever looked into these 'Motor Engineers' who were based at 22 Norton Place, Edinburgh in 1933, please?

Google Maps shows there's now an East Norton Place and a West Norton Place. I'm guessing 22 Norton Place is now on the East part? Any Edinburgh knowledgeables here?

Tia!
Cat

Edited by - Cathelijne on 04/02/2021 16:44:07

CrashBox

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2021 :  17:58:51  Show Profile
This 1931 OS map shows West Norton Place, but other than showing a school on the street, there's no other detail.

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/327500/673500/12/101202
Go to Top of Page

Vitesse

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2021 :  14:07:44  Show Profile
They were still in the phone book yellow pages as late as 1971, under both the garage services and taxis/private hire classifications - address 22 East Norton Place, which is also what it says in 1930s telephone directories. Their 1930s entries specify that they were 'motor hirers'.

Mr Munro himself seems to have lived at 4 Brunton Place and the company also had premises at 4 Blenheim Place in the early 1930s - this address disappears after the 1935 book.
Go to Top of Page

Vitesse

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2021 :  16:25:48  Show Profile
Just a guess, but given that Scottish street naming and numbering conventions can be very odd when compared to the rest of the UK, I think East Norton Place probably occupied what is now waste ground. If you go to satellite view on Google Maps, you can see the remains of two entrances - one at the point where Google thinks East Norton Place is and the other almost due south of it on Montrose Terrace.

Switch to Street View and you can see that there's a more modern low building which has been inserted in the gap between two older ones, as an extension to Edinburgh Dry Cleaners. This seems to have blocked off the entry from the north and when the pavement was redone it was completely obliterated. On the Montrose Place side - where the site is fenced off - the entrance is hard to spot, because there's a car right in front of it on Street View! There are also two disused vehicle entrances - again fenced/gated off - leading into this waste ground from the east side of West Norton Place. Historic imagery on Google Earth shows that there were buildings in that area in 1945 and that until some time between 2012 and 2013 there was a petrol station facing out onto Montrose Place.

Seems like a good working hypothesis that the business closed and/or morphed into the petrol station, but you'd need a collection of Edinburgh street plans and directories to be certain!
Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
668 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2021 :  19:10:17  Show Profile
Any connection with Donald Monro who competed in 18/80s?
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2021 :  10:44:56  Show Profile
Thanks so much, all, most helpful! Off line, Mike Dalby has sent me Dan T.'s birth and death certificates, so I think the file is very much complete now!

From Facebook I learnt they were listed in the Edinburgh phone books from 1927 until 1971 with premises at 4 Blenheim Place until 1935.

These are from the 1933 phone book:

And here's what Google Streetview shows, as per Richard's description:

Looks like I now have a(nother) place to visit with my J1 when travel restrictions are lifted!

Thanks again & stay safe!
Cat
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000