Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Road legal
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Johnball

United Kingdom
87 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2021 :  13:39:47  Show Profile
Having recently bought KN0267, just a couple of stupid questions, which may be the first of many to improve my knowledge of running Prewar car. I am used to 50’s cars.
Is it road legal-
Painted white letters and numbers front number plate on red supercharger housing.
No speedometer, just a rev counter.
No turn indicators. ( I do make right turn signals in my Healey 100, even though it has white indications and has an MOT.)

colintf

United Kingdom
1473 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2021 :  15:17:59  Show Profile
Hi John
I believe a car registered before 1st October 1937 doesn't have to have a speedometer
My 31 D Type didn't so we used a battery powered rechargeable GPS Device that showed speed on longer drives, it also had a valid MOT :)
No speedo is no defence to breaking the speed limit.
Likewise I think you are ok with front number plate and no idicators :)

Colin Murrell
PA0786 (D0285 previously)
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)
http://www.triple-mracing.com/

Edited by - colintf on 19/02/2021 15:18:27
Go to Top of Page

leafrancis14

United Kingdom
323 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2021 :  15:23:43  Show Profile
Hi John,

I don't know about the painted registration, but it's not unusual on pre-war cars so I doubt anyone will mind. The speedo is OK as they only became mandatory in 1937....those of us in humble J's and PA's manage Ok with just the rev counter! No turn signals is also OK.....but I wouldn't drive a car without some on it these days. I did for many years, but in my opinion it's no longer wise. However, fitting them and not remembering to cancel them is even more dangerous, so my cars have very annoying buzzers fitted to make sure that doesn't happen!

Barny

Barny Creaser

(Wellingborough)
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5946 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2021 :  15:43:50  Show Profile
Those of us with humble Js actually have speedos But I heartily agree that flashing amber indicators are essential on today's roads, mandatory or not.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1020 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2021 :  19:43:25  Show Profile
Given how many BMW and Audi owners never use their indicators I think you are fine without ;)

Onno "J,D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1127 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2021 :  20:15:52  Show Profile
Oh no, I have a BMW and no indicators on the PB

Mark Dolton
www.triple-mracing.com

Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1473 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2021 :  20:39:08  Show Profile
I've got indicators on the P and had them on the D, but prefer hand signals :)

Colin Murrell
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)
Go to Top of Page

Johnball

United Kingdom
87 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2021 :  20:55:21  Show Profile
Thanks to all the replies. I certainly did not know about the 1937 date for speedo ! That is not on the DVLA website. I am thinking about having the side lights modified to wink.
Good to hear about the painted front reg being probably ok, so will run with that.
There will be more questions I need to ask, so bear with me, but I do have a lot of help, as one of my friends has a supercharged N type. Thanks everyone.
P.s. I do not consider J type as humble, all are precious and all special to owners :-)
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1473 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2021 :  21:04:23  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Johnball

Thanks to all the replies. I certainly did not know about the 1937 date for speedo ! That is not on the DVLA website. I am thinking about having the side lights modified to wink.
Good to hear about the painted front reg being probably ok, so will run with that.
There will be more questions I need to ask, so bear with me, but I do have a lot of help, as one of my friends has a supercharged N type. Thanks everyone.
P.s. I do not consider J type as humble, all are precious and all special to owners :-)

I only knew about the speedo as my old D Type didn't have one, but still passed MOT. I also had to explain to some insurance companies why I wouldn't be able to give mileage readings and how pointless limited mileage insurance would be ;)
:)

Colin Murrell
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1850 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2021 :  23:42:46  Show Profile
I always thought it odd that speedos became mandatory after 1937. I prefer to choose my own style of swimwear.
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
936 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2021 :  08:28:58  Show Profile
The Road Traffic Act 1934 introduced the 30mph speed limit in built-up areas which came into effect in March 1935.

Hence the hastily introduced 30mph on/off light in the P series working off the speedometer (where installed)

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

Tony Dolton

United Kingdom
366 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2021 :  09:01:25  Show Profile
Many years ago I was told it was road legal to drive a prewar car in daylight hours with no lights , by that I mean no side lights, no headlights ,no brake lights , and no indicators . Also no mudguards.
Sounded to me like an excuse to drive our cars on the road stripped for racing .!
Nowadays most people use track days to sort newly constructed race cars, but does anyone know what “ road legal minimum requirements” actually means.
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5946 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2021 :  10:00:33  Show Profile
This Schedule from the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations pretty much covers all you need to know - https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/schedule/1/made

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
909 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2021 :  11:38:02  Show Profile
All 3 of these have applied to my J since the early 50s.
Painted front number plate has never been a problem at any MoT, or with any official in all that time.
Likewise only a rev counter. On several occasions over nearly 60 years Dad was questioned by Her Majesty's finest regarding speed indication - trotting off rpm for 30, 40 etc always satisfied them.
No indicators is fine, but beware: many modern drivers completely misinterpret the turn left signal....

JH
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000