Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 J2 Headlamps
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Robin Hamblett

United Kingdom
533 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2008 :  10:51:05  Show Profile
Hi All

Can anyone give a definative answer on the correct headlights for a 1933 swept wing J2 please? Looking at the the variety of information available it seems that the Rotax K624 is correct, can anyone back this up please?

Thanks

Robin

tholden

United Kingdom
1628 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2008 :  11:04:51  Show Profile
Robin the correct headlights for a late swept wing J2 are the Lucas L140 units. Early J2's were fitted with the Rotax units. We worked out the changeover period once but that information is in my file at home. There was a crossover period mid production when both were being used. Just to confuse the issue you may even find the Lucas lamps fitted originally with Rotax badges.
Going back to the sixties quite a few J2's were seen fitted with the larger L150 lamps and it is very possible the these were fitted by the factory as a customer special order to a number of cars.

TH
Go to Top of Page

Robin Hamblett

United Kingdom
533 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2008 :  12:14:59  Show Profile
Hi Terry

Many thanks for this. I presume they would have flat frosted lenses instead of the later fluted type?

Regards

Robin
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1628 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2008 :  12:30:24  Show Profile
Robin that is correct.

TH
Go to Top of Page

doctorbob

United Kingdom
145 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2008 :  15:04:02  Show Profile
Is there a difference between the L140 and the LB140 headlamps?
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1628 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2008 :  16:27:55  Show Profile
Robert I am not 100% sure without double checking but I think the rims are different on the LB model. They do not turn back so far on to the glass and as such suit the thicker fluted or U shaped glass. I think they were fitted to Wolseley cars amongst others. Whether there are other differences as well I am not sure but maybe someone else knows or else ask Dave Gregory at Gregorys Autoparts.

TH
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1552 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2008 :  18:20:31  Show Profile
Is there a difference between the L140 and the LB140 headlamps?

This one drove me up the wall for quite some time as I needed to replace the totally incorrect headlamps fitted to my P Type.

I eventually gleaned a summary from a 1939 Lucas parts catalogue - for those who would like an MSWord copy with a table and illustrations, please email me: brucesutherland@f2s.com

A further abreviated version follows:
1. Lucas K624 7 5/16" dia lens is listed for J1s & J2s with a 'stippled' lens.
2. LBD140's 7 13/16"dia lens are listed for all P Types - these have slightly domed lenses with a 'C' pattern 'U'-fluted glass.
3. L140/LB140 differs: 'L' have either a 'B' pattern 'U'flute or a stippled lens, whereas the 'LB' has only a 'diffuser' lens.

The different rims referred to by David are for the more extremely domed lenses fitted to other 140 variants fitted to Vauxhalls etc.

Bruce.
Go to Top of Page

davies

United Kingdom
699 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2008 :  14:38:06  Show Profile
now that this topic has got everyone leafing through their Lucas Catalogues can anyone throw any light on sidelight 115S, as notated on M type wiring diagram in Blower. Thanks Rich
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2008 :  12:06:27  Show Profile
Good question, I have often wondered what was a 115S sidelight? Furthermore, did Rotax-equipped cars (eg F, J, early L-type) have a Lucas-style sidelamp (ie 1130) with a Rotax badge?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000