Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 ***URGENT*** Ian Goddard
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Oz34

United Kingdom
2495 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2021 :  21:44:11  Show Profile
Hi All, I've received an email purporting to come from Ian and asking me to spend money on his behalf when he would reimburse me at the weekend. If it was indeed Ian I would have been happy to do this however there was something about these emails that didn't quite ring true and "his" response to my request for info which a scammer would not know was unconvincing.

I have now spoken to Ian on the phone and it seems his email was stolen and anything you may receive is likely to be a scam.

Stay safe, in more ways than one!

Dave

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2021 :  22:34:48  Show Profile
I too have received this email from Ian and suspected it was a scam . I did reply to it without any commitment on my part . I feel sure there will be many others on Ian’s list of contacts that will get one so please be aware
Go to Top of Page

Paul White

United Kingdom
53 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2021 :  22:36:02  Show Profile
Hi Dave,

I have received these "vague" email requests from various members including MMM Register Committee members.
If you reply to them they will then have your email address, suggest you change your passwords just in case !!
My email provider shows who the email is actually from not who you think it is from, not all providers show this.
In respect of the "MMM officials" the email addresses included "executive committee" to give them some credibility.
There are some very devious people out there. Paul MMM Bulletin
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1962 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2021 :  22:47:40  Show Profile

Just for information, I also received a similar message from ‘ Ian Goddard’ and I initially responded but the subsequent reply convinced me it was a scam.
What a world we live in !

Chris
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2495 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2021 :  23:02:45  Show Profile
I too Chris. Paul, the first thing I did was check the email address and it was the one I had. Ian tells me they stole the address and he was unable to use it himself. I note however that their reply was from a different "Ian Goddard" address which Ian tells me was never anything to do with him.

As far as their having my address Paul, they had it already as they've been emailing all Ian's contacts however, you're probably right about passwords. What a pain; mine are quite complicated, but I know them. Now I'll have to get to know new ones!

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6007 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2021 :  23:21:06  Show Profile
Is a scammer's knowledge of your email address really a reason to change the account password? Many of us would have email addresses in the public domain - in the contacts page of this website for example - but it’s just an address and I can’t immediately see the cause for concern.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1886 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2021 :  00:00:40  Show Profile
Being a sceptic, when the offending email suggested Ian was not contactable by phone, I immediately phoned him and all became clear.
Go to Top of Page

PaulusPotter

Netherlands
202 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2021 :  07:58:28  Show Profile
Hello All,

I received a similar mail a few weeks ago and just deleted it. But yesterday i received one again and when blocking the sender it appeared that there was a slight change in the senders E-mail adres. So for sure not Ian !
A few years ago I got also similar mails from several other forum members.

Further I received a similar mail yesterday from English friends that are no member of the forum
I guess it is coming via btinternet.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Roger Cadogan

United Kingdom
488 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2021 :  11:50:01  Show Profile
A bit behind the curve on this one but, #ME TOO. I was quite looking forward to meeting Ian's "niece". No fool like an old fool.

Roger
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3343 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2021 :  12:39:34  Show Profile
This is a very common scam. They take someone's email address, usually one containing a name, whose real email address might be joesmith99@someplace.com and set up a similar looking email address such as joesmith99@somewhereelse.com. The original email address can be obtained from stolen data during a security breach or more commonly from mailing lists. They then send emails to everyone else on that list asking the recipient to send money as your son/daughter/niece/uncle etc. has had an accident or is in jail and needs cash but using the similar looking but fake email address. If the email goes to someone who doesn't recognise the name they delete it anyway. These sort of emails do not generally indicate that your email account has been hacked they just use the name part.
The simple answer is never send money to anyone without checking they are who they say they are. A few simple questions about something they should know will most often not illicit a reply.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

bloodysalmon

Spain
1482 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2021 :  13:50:09  Show Profile
yes i had 4-5 attempts to get me to pay some money ... i actually kept it going for a while knowing it was a scam ... eventually it stopped.

Chris Blood
D-type Salonette D0407,
TC1472 TC2686 TC4245
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
651 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2021 :  14:38:11  Show Profile
I also had one of these from "Ian"

The basic clue to the fact that it is a scam is in the language used.

If it were actually from him, it would at least start with a Dear Bill, Jim etc - rather than just straight into the message.

DELETE

If he wanted to contact you that urgently he would try other means
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000