Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 LED headlamps and Triple M cars
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Oz34

United Kingdom
2495 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2021 :  11:58:33  Show Profile
There was a thread recently on the new MOT requirements and LED headlights.

Unfortunately I cannot find it however, here is the latest:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/special-notice-01-21-headlamp-conversions/mot-special-notice-01-21-headlamp-conversions and it seems that all Triple M cars can now quite legally benefit from superb headlights and low electrical consumption.

Dave

Nick Feakes

USA
3341 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2021 :  12:07:30  Show Profile
Dave
Is this what you were looking for?
https://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19505
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2495 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2021 :  15:16:09  Show Profile
Thanks Nick. That's the one and, while Simon has gleaned from his link that pre '86 cars can use LED headlamps, he is obviously more up to speed with government language than me, or more diligent in his reading as I couldn't find such a thing without reading word for word and I'm to old for that! This new link says it all in words of one syllable, my sort of language!!

Cheers,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1885 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2021 :  15:35:34  Show Profile
One might say "enlightened?"
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1547 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2021 :  17:57:34  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by coracle

One might say "enlightened?"

or "illuminated"
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6004 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2021 :  23:52:10  Show Profile
Hmm … to my mind the link Dave (OZ34) gave is misleading! It says:
“Should a vehicle be presented for an MOT test with conversions before 1 April 1986 they must not be failed with immediate effect”

This would suggest that it’s the conversion that must pre-date 1 April 1986 when in fact it’s the vehicle's date of first use which must be before 1 April 1986.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2021 :  07:44:36  Show Profile
In passing, is there a source for these (BA15d) LED bulbs. Peter at Dynamo Regulator is out of stock and last time I 'poked' says he is finding a new supplier.

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

Blue M

United Kingdom
1459 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2021 :  08:00:18  Show Profile
So has the "dazzling oncoming traffic when on dip" problem been solved?
Go to Top of Page

Gordon

United Kingdom
691 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2021 :  14:41:16  Show Profile
Legaility of retrofitting LED headlight bulbs to our cars - change in MoT rules
17-03-2021, 03:49 PM
There has been a change in the MoT regulations recently, l from February 2021, that made converting a halogen headlamp to LED a MoT fail as had been the case with fitting HID bulbs for years. Our cars never had Halogen filled bulbs (they were tungsten filament either vacuum or filled with an inert gas such as Argon).
The vehicle lighting regulations are dated 1989 so our older vehicles are still exempt from needing bulbs with EU approval so the law has not changed - just the MoT regulations which seems inconsistent.
Converting original headlamps to LED bulbs, provided the beam pattern is correct, properly aimed and therefore not dazzling, are ok. Beware of cheap Chinese sourced LED headlight bulbs as they can have very poor beam shape outside MoT requirements.
I came across the following letter from the Department of Transport, which somebody had posted on facebook, and assume is genuine. This seems to resolve the position satisfactorily.

The following change now confirms the position - my take is we can use LED headlight bulbs provided they don't dazzle and are correctly aimed.

Special Notice 01-2021Headlamp conversions
Published 19 March 2021

1. About headlamp conversions
Section 4.1.4 of the current MOT inspection manuals for both motorcycles and cars and passenger vehicles, states 'Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.'
2. Changes to current rules
From 22 March 2021 we're changing these rules so that not all motorcycles and vehicles will fail the MOT test if their halogen headlamp units have been converted to be used with HID or LED bulbs.
Class 1 and 2 motorcycles
Class 1 and 2 motorcycles must not be failed for the defect 'Light source and lamp not compatible'.
Headlamps must comply with all other requirements of the test and headlamp aim.
The motorcycle inspection manual will be updated shortly, and the ability to select the defect within the MOT testing service will be removed.
Class 3,4,5 and 7 vehicles
For class 3,4,5 and 7 vehicles, the defect 'Light source and lamp not compatible' only applies to vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1986.
Should a vehicle be presented for MOT test with conversions before 1 April 1986 they must not be failed with immediate effect.
Vehicles presented with converted halogen headlamp units first used on or after 1 April 1986 will continue to be failed.
Headlamps must comply with all other requirements of the test and headlamp aim.
The cars and passenger vehicles inspection manual will be updated shortly.

Gordon
ex owner of PB 0331, MG4473
Derby
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2495 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2021 :  21:43:45  Show Profile
You are of course right Simon and the whole sentence is very badly worded as it also seems to suggest that the car should not immediately be failed when what it actually means is that, with immediate effect, it must not be failed.

The date confusion is actually just that. While I stand to be corrected, I doubt anyone had even heard of LEDs before 1st April 1986. You would be unlikely to convert something to use something you'd never heard of!

As far as I'm concerned the bottom line is that my LED headlamps from Dynamo Regulators & Conversions are not illegal. As for dazzling, no one has ever flashed me so I guess they are not being dazzled.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Blue M

United Kingdom
1459 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2021 :  05:29:20  Show Profile
I'm tempted, but even Dynamo Conversions direct you to a customer's video showing him replacing ordinary old fashioned yellowing headlight bulbs. I want to see a comparison to halogens - which probably most of us have.
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6004 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2021 :  07:16:14  Show Profile
A couple of additional points in favour of LEDs - they greatly reduce the strain on the charging system compared to Halogen headlights plus tungsten side and tail lights; and to my mind they make our cars much more visible in night time traffic when surrounded by modern cars with very bright HID and LED lights. A couple of 40w halogen bulbs aren't all that visible in such circumstances, never mind tungsten ones!

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1028 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2021 :  09:10:29  Show Profile
I understand the desire for more Lumen and less amps.
What I do not get is accepting that modern white light look.
I like my old cars to look old and have a warmer colour of light.
So anyone know of LED headlamps with a 3000K light temperature?

Onno "J,D,M" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2495 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2021 :  09:12:34  Show Profile
Ian, to emphasise Simon's latest post, this photo shows all lights on and, as the oil pressure gauge attests, engine off.

As to comparisons, I never took any pics of halogen illumination, but I doubt a low wattage halogen could produce the effect shown in my opening photo and, in terms of being seen, if that's the amount of light I have to see by, equally it represents the amount showing my presence.

On dazzle, Classic Dynamo's pic of their latest lamps in dip condition shows the classic "nearside hedge brightly illuminated while offside is not", i.e. the carefully regulated beam that modern lights are supposed to produce.

Onno, I know what you mean and while each to his own, my attitude has always been that, if I can easily revert to original while leaving no trace of the mod, it's OK for me.

Dave

Edited by - Oz34 on 06/05/2021 09:14:50
Go to Top of Page

Gerhard Maier

Germany
866 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2021 :  09:57:13  Show Profile
I have not tested them myself, but here are some (BA15d)LED bulbs, which have the high-beam/low-beam facility.
Those I fitted on my car, are BA20d, which I converted a while ago, because the BA15d have not been available.
Gerhard

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333960775659

https://www.bettercarlighting.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=482

and his one is told to be more "warm-white"

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Lampe-Birne-Bulb-Bilux-LED-warm-BA15D-DC-6V-12V/164742473947?hash=item265b6aa8db:g:F-0AAOSwvVxgQlbV&shqty=1&isGTR=1#shId
Go to Top of Page

Blue M

United Kingdom
1459 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2021 :  10:01:16  Show Profile
The point about visibility doesn't take into account the reach of the beam. Before I fitted a more powerful dynamo I had the experience of being forced on to the verge on a country lane because the lights of the oncoming vehicle swamped mine so that he didn't see me till almost on top of me, because my lights weren't throwing the light far enough ahead.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000