Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 Clamp Band around dynamo
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SteveHarter

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2021 :  10:03:28  Show Profile
Being a novice with these cars I’m finding out things as I go, start to notice things wrong or missing on the car I recently purchased.
With this in mind I discover the clamp band around the top of the Dynamo on my PA isn’t there.
I know these are rare items and most will only offer a refurbishment, but does anyone have the band clamp only that’s not required or is from a scrap Dynamo that can’t be fixed Ta.

Steve H

Shatter

Roger Cadogan

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2021 :  11:45:02  Show Profile
Steve, if all else fails they are quite easy to make. You can determine the dimensions from the machined area where the brushes are and the rest can be gleaned from the various pictures that the forum can provide.

Roger
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1971 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2021 :  11:48:14  Show Profile

Hello,Steve.

If you can’t find an original band it is a quite a straight forward job to make one out of a piece of steel or aluminum.
The really rare ones which you may be thinking of are the three piece covers for the N type dynamo which is bigger.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

Eric Taylor

France
156 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2021 :  13:03:31  Show Profile
Hi Steve, I made a few for Mike Dowley back in the Eighties and here's a photo of my scruffy bit of paper with the dimensions.

Sorry, I don't seem to be able to make the picture vertical.
Here's two photos of how they looked.

They should have three small holes drilled around the back to hold a piece of gasket paper or similar material. Little rivets were used I believe.
I used 1mm thick sheet steel.
PS Here's a photo of an original. I think you can make out some of the holes.

Regards, Eric.

Edited by - Eric Taylor on 09/08/2021 13:14:46
Go to Top of Page

SteveHarter

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2021 :  08:42:28  Show Profile
Thanks all for the help, and particularly the drawings and photos, looks like I’ll be busy in the workshop.

Shatter
Go to Top of Page

Blue M

United Kingdom
1461 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2021 :  09:04:44  Show Profile
Steve,nice to have, but best left off for a bit of cooling effect. Which is probably why you haven't got one.
Go to Top of Page

SteveHarter

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2021 :  11:26:12  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Blue M

Steve,nice to have, but best left off for a bit of cooling effect. Which is probably why you haven't got one.

I’ve seen some modified with gauze in them which I assume was to keep cool too. I was worried about girt, dirt and moisture getting in, but if it gets hot moisture might not be a problem. Maybe that’s the way to go.

Shatter
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1971 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2021 :  11:53:15  Show Profile

Perhaps you were thinking of my set up Steve. (Apologies for the repeat performance !)

Chris

Go to Top of Page

SteveHarter

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2021 :  16:49:22  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Westbury

Perhaps you were thinking of my set up Steve. (Apologies for the repeat performance !)

Chris

Hi Chris, yes these are what I had seen, I’ve since seen an old post from USA of the clamps you have for sale, only had One (3 parts) $200 obviously not modified as yours. Still think I’ll be making some from 1mm steel strip and cutting out for gauze. Was the gauze your modification?
Steve H

Shatter
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1971 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2021 :  18:19:19  Show Profile

Hello, Steve.

It was my modification, bearing in mind my dynamo is an AT 174 and the cover is 2” depth.
Best of luck with it.

Regards,
Chris
Go to Top of Page

Blue M

United Kingdom
1461 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2021 :  09:29:35  Show Profile
Steve, I wouldn't worry about anything getting in. More modern dynamos have big holes both ends and it doesn't seem to do much harm.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000