Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 J2 Speedometer Bezel
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wct

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2021 :  18:40:15  Show Profile
My J2 speedometer has been in storage with bezel removed since 1975. Recently, I dismantled the unit for cleaning, new bearings and re-lube. I should post photo of my dirty hands after cleaning the internals!

But, now the bezel will not fit onto the 4.7" (~120MM) diameter housing. Really have to warp the retaining band out of shape and will split open if continued. Seems the housing may have grown in diameter?...doubtful, still close to brass face plate in diameter. The housing is in excellent condition except is some warped due to over tightening the four mounting studs.

I see mention of 'classicbezels.com' on prior postings on bezels but can not raise them on a net search. Nor any other supplier.

Solutions, suggestions or rumors appreciated.

Santa Clara, California
J2 3343

Bill Traill

LewPalmer

USA
3209 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2021 :  22:22:10  Show Profile
Bill,
I have recently ordered a new tachometer bezel for my NA from Auto Electrical Spares. However, communications from them has been non-existent over the last 6 weeks. They appear to have a good selection of bezels, but their customer service leaves a bit to be desired.
https://www.autoelectricalspares.co.uk/bezels-glass--seals-for-smiths--lucas--jaeger-gauges-68-c.asp

Lew Palmer
PA1169, 2M1281, NA0651
Go to Top of Page

wct

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2021 :  23:44:22  Show Profile
Thank you Lew. I will make inquiry to them.

Bill Traill
Go to Top of Page

ARP

United Kingdom
42 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2021 :  08:48:55  Show Profile
HI
Don,t waste your time very poor service
william

W.Mckenzie
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3056 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2021 :  11:55:06  Show Profile
"Seems the housing may have grown in diameter?"

Sadly some speedometer bodies really do expand with age. Splits are caused as seen on the examples below.

This is the decay in a more advanced state -

Unless Smiths used a superior alloy for J2 speedometers it is hard to see why, as time goes by, they should not be subject to same worsening problems.

Does anyone know of any way to stop or delay this deterioration ?

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 01/09/2021 17:01:47
Go to Top of Page

wct

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2021 :  16:58:45  Show Profile
Hi Sam,
Some zinc base diecast items from the early days varied a lot in survive-ability depending on the composition...read this in a car mag some years ago. Some manufacturers got it right, some not; even batch to batch.

Perhaps 3D printing will soon be less costly and these instrument housings can be duplicated.

The bezel retaining band seemed to be tightly seated into the decorative ring; I tried to seat it deeper without success.

"When all else fails...THINK" my father would always say. I forgot to 'think' this time.

I removed the retaining band and discovered much crud and detritus per photo. Cleaning and scraping allowed the retaining ring to seat a little deeper afterall. Still not a perfect fit but good enough. Would have to expand the fold-over to do better, but then the chrome may not survive.

Bill Traill
Go to Top of Page

Moth eaten

Australia
939 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2021 :  08:14:52  Show Profile
This can be restored, its the die cast metal that expands.
The original bezel can also be restored.
You need a good eye a lot of empathy, and the knowledge to use the right materials and application
If you think about it all, its logical.

N.D.Willey
Go to Top of Page

Roger Cadogan

United Kingdom
486 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2021 :  21:20:31  Show Profile
I understand that "Classic Bezels" have ceased trading. I think it was a health problem, if anyone wishes to contradict this I am more than pleased to apologise. In the past I have had good service and in fact bought the prototype J2 bezel.

Roger
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3056 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2021 :  21:41:24  Show Profile

I am not sure if his business was "Classic Bezels" but a chap named John Chadwick produced J2 bezels. Sadly John has passed on. John's business was sold and is now in the hands of 'British Gauge.' Their website is www.britishgauge.com . They were able to help me with a J2 bezel.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3209 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2021 :  23:24:22  Show Profile
Thanks for letting us know the new supplier, Sam. I used to order bezels from Classic Bezels, but have been unable to locate them since. Hopefully BGBM is more responsive than Auto Electrical Spares with whom I placed an order over 2 months ago with no response other than the initial acceptance of my order. No email, no answer of their phone, and certainly no shipment of my order.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, 2M1281, NA0651
Go to Top of Page

Roger Cadogan

United Kingdom
486 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2021 :  19:28:37  Show Profile
Sam, "Classic Bezels" run buy John Chadwick was the source of my prototype bezel. Sad to have the confirmation about John.

Roger
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3209 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2021 :  19:04:31  Show Profile
After over 2 months with no response to my emails and having been charged by Auto Electrical Spares for a bezel and shipping, I filed a complaint with PayPal. To their credit, Auto Electrical Spares issued a refund. I have since contacted British Gauge about my need for a 5 inch tach bezel. Unfortunately, they are having trouble getting them chromed. So still no joy.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, 2M1281, NA0651
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000