Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Le JOGLE
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Blue M

United Kingdom
1461 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2022 :  00:36:52  Show Profile
Reading about Geoff Mansfield's excellent and productive charitable trip from John O'Groats to Lands End got me looking at similar exploits. An Austin 7 managed a non stop trip in 22 hours, an average of about 38mph which is pretty impressive. Have any MMM owners ever done it?

And Happy New Year All!

Edited by - Blue M on 01/01/2022 00:37:41

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2022 :  12:24:43  Show Profile
We did it the other way round, LEJOG, three times in the mid 1990s from Saturday morning to Monday morning with only a short time in bed Sunday night in Edinburgh! That was in a 1953 YB, and far be it from me to brag(!) but we won the class each time!!!!

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

Orstin

United Kingdom
633 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2022 :  17:09:52  Show Profile
Not wishing for someone in an MG to do it in 21 hours and feel pleased with themselves, I should just put the record straight. Austin 7s have set the following times. A couple of chaps in a humble 1937 Ruby Saloon did it in 18hrs 54 mins. Andy Storer achieved it in 18hrs 10 mins (maybe in a Nippy, I cant recall) But the outright record is held by Steve White who did a sub 15 hours trip in his rather hot GE Cup..

So many dynamos
Go to Top of Page

g waiting

United Kingdom
720 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2022 :  19:27:18  Show Profile
Is he still in hospital, 700 miles in a Cup?
G.
Go to Top of Page

Orstin

United Kingdom
633 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2022 :  21:18:58  Show Profile
You read it here first...

One of the early records was closer to Ian's first comment. Pete Blackburn did around 22 hours, solo, in his 1932 Box Saloon. It was reputed he set off with a map and a bag of sweets. It was also suggested he was lifted from the car when he got to Lands End.

To be clear, the Austin 7 world doesn't really advocate such runs any more. These records were set in the 80s and traffic and road conditions were totally different then. One of the Clubs is organising a run to celebrate the Centenary this year but entrants will self certificate with dated and timed photos at the start and end. The two times must be at least 48 hours apart before any certificate is awarded..

So many dynamos
Go to Top of Page

Blue M

United Kingdom
1461 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2022 :  22:36:13  Show Profile
Wow! Even ignoring the times, that's an impressive demonstration of non stop reliability. Also,I think it might be a young man's game!
Go to Top of Page

RWScars

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2022 :  15:14:41  Show Profile
I was a crew member for Steven White when he and Stephen Fathers did the Jogle back in 1997. The time was 15 hours 27 minutes from 4.00 pm on Easter Sunday. That’s an average of just under 56mph. The way we achieved this was to minimise the fuel stops. The car had the standard 5 gallon tank and an extra 8 gallon tank mounted in the rear “boot”. So we had a two stop strategy! We refuelled as quickly as possible and the car set of leaving the crew to pay for the petrol. The JOGLE is being re-run this year as a part of the Austin Seven Centenary celebrations but times will be self certified with no certificates issued for less then 48 hours. I would add that things have changed since then. None of us would “have another go” or recommend anybody to either.

Rob Symonds
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3230 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2022 :  16:25:29  Show Profile
Hi Rob
An impressive time but I do wonder how those taking part in 2022 would cope given the huge increase in traffic in the 15 years since the 1997 run.. Are Motorways permitted!

George
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6023 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2022 :  16:28:50  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by George Eagle

….in the 15 years since the 1997 run…

Fifteen years?

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Orstin

United Kingdom
633 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2022 :  16:47:09  Show Profile
I think the point this year, George, is *not* to use the motorways. Fast times are not encouraged, as has been said, and any times less that 48 hours will not be recognised by the organisers.

The first formal Jogle for the Austin 7 was organised in 1972 to celebrate the Golden Jubilee of the car. This is Messrs Dowell and Hellyar passing Knutsford on the M6 around noon in their 1927 Chummy, They went on to record a very respectable time of 30 hours.. As you can see, Motorways were better suited to our cars, even in the 1970s..

photo credit: Mike Costigan

So many dynamos
Go to Top of Page

leckstein

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2022 :  18:04:56  Show Profile
Just to put my 2 cents in (2 pence?) Remember My Wife and I in a TF and 88 other MGs went from Lands End to John O Groats in 1990 as part of the Circuit of Britain. There was a J2 among the T types. Yes, we took our time and spent almost a week in Abingdon , but for sheer number of cars we must hold a record.

Mike L
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2501 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2022 :  21:46:20  Show Profile
Hugh, even in 1972 that level of traffic seems incredible on a major motorway, or indeed any other major road, at about midday.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Orstin

United Kingdom
633 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2022 :  08:22:13  Show Profile
Dave - my pal Mike, who took the photo, took a whole series of cars passing and they are all pretty much the same. I think the busiest shows about 4 cars along with the Austin 7. The photo I published is dated April 1st 1972 - Easter Saturday. The event in 1972 took place between April 1st and April 4th and had 83 entrants. There were the usual number of DNS and the route was littered with a number of broken cranks, which led to a number of DNFs. Though there are also some heroic stories of engine rebuilds en route giving longer than hoped for times by the entrants but at least they finished.. The other run I have looked at was the '92 run that also ahd around the same number of entrants. All cars, of course, were pre-1939...

So many dynamos
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000