Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 J2 weather gear
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Chris

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2022 :  16:44:37  Show Profile
Good afternoon - I am close to buying a J2 that has a tonneau but no hood or side screens.

I’m pretty sure that I will need,and want, these.

Having done a bit of reading I’m convinced that these need to be tailor made to the car.

Does anyone have advice about:

How to proceed?
What might be the pitfalls?
Is there anyone in the UK that is recognised as the place to go to get it done right?

Chris

Robin Hamblett

United Kingdom
532 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2022 :  16:55:42  Show Profile
Hi Chris

There is a good trimmer in Thatcham, near Newbury. Richard Geater. I understand he can be pricy but his quality is good. I don’t know if he can make widescreen frames but he’s worth talking to. One piece of advice is to ensure your windscreen is in the correct position on both sides of the car, before any measuring can be performed.

Hope this helps.

Robin

J2 J3666
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1850 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2022 :  16:58:24  Show Profile
I made do with a wet suit when I built an A7 special with only an aero screen. I did however have a tonneau which when used and the steering wheel removed, facilitated a dry place to sleep.
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5946 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2022 :  17:16:26  Show Profile
Dare I suggest you read this - https://www.triple-mregister.org/uploads/retro/J-type_hood.pdf

Unfortunately the search function doesn’t extend to the Technical Documents but there is a comprehensive index which is also worth a read - see https://www.triple-mregister.org/techindex.asp

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1623 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2022 :  09:48:21  Show Profile
Chris I suggest that you get to drive a J2 with the hood up before you go to the expense of having a hood made. It is not a pleasant experience. My J2 does not have a hood just a full tonnneau and the same applies for all the other Triple M cars I have owned in the last 50 + years.
Just my personal view !
Terry

TH
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1703 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2022 :  10:08:49  Show Profile
Concur with Terry.

Trying to drive with the hood up through rush hour traffic in Newcastle in a tropical downpour was a nightmare.

I could not see sufficiently what was happening behind me in the adjacent lanes nor could I signal adequately when changing lanes. I had .to rely on car body language and the nudge principle

May I say, my survival is a testimony to the good manners and patience of the average British driver!!!

I could at least wave my thanks from the driver's side.

Never again!

Cheers

P
Go to Top of Page

Robin Macmillan

United Kingdom
415 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2022 :  10:29:00  Show Profile
If the hood kept you dry it would be worth considering ….. but it is slightly less effective than a colander, at least in my PB it is.

PB 0527
Go to Top of Page

Nick Dean

United Kingdom
433 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2022 :  10:29:40  Show Profile
If you do have a hood made, the back window looks more period being Oval rather than rectangular. As above, hoods rarely get used. sports cars & hoods dont go well together. good luck. Nick.

N A Dean
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3218 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2022 :  10:50:10  Show Profile
I have to agree with the sentiment that driving with the hood up can cause problems.

In the case of my old L2, it was not easy get into the car with the hood up! Old age has something to do with it as in my youth my everyday car was my first PA which I used to drive with the hood up in inclement weather.

By contrast the hood on my old NB was far more practical as there was so much more space coupled with the more user friendly doors.

George
ex L2023

Edited by - George Eagle on 21/01/2022 10:54:52
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5946 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2022 :  11:24:39  Show Profile
I must admit I don’t understand the antipathy towards hoods! We have driven many miles in the J2 in pouring rain (with a suction wiper motor as well!) and have always found the hood and side screens keep us dry and comfortable. For sure visibility isn’t as good and in heavy city traffic - which we’ve never come up against - I’m sure it could get a bit dicey. But for us the car would simply be unusable for much of the year over here in Norn Iron without proper weather equipment. The picture below was taken at a viewing spot in County Fermanagh. Not much of a view though in the pouring rain!

Mind you, I will agree with George that advancing years do make it difficult to extricate oneself from the car with the hood up!

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

merlinart

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2022 :  15:23:47  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Simon Johnston

I must admit I don’t understand the antipathy towards hoods! We have driven many miles in the J2 in pouring rain (with a suction wiper motor as well!) and have always found the hood and side screens keep us dry and comfortable. For sure visibility isn’t as good and in heavy city traffic - which we’ve never come up against - I’m sure it could get a bit dicey. But for us the car would simply be unusable for much of the year over here in Norn Iron without proper weather equipment. The picture below was taken at a viewing spot in County Fermanagh. Not much of a view though in the pouring rain!

Mind you, I will agree with George that advancing years do make it difficult to extricate oneself from the car with the hood up!

Bet it isn't as bad as getting out of my Caterham 7 160...I can just about get in with the hood up, but to get out, the wife has to peel the hood back to allow me out!

Simon J
J3437

Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2485 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2022 :  16:18:17  Show Profile
Well I have to agree with Simon. He and I have travelled together in the Scottish Borders in rain. I was comfortable and dry, but of course traffic was virtually non-existent. I don't enjoy driving the car in heavy traffic anyway and would certainly avoid city situations, with or without a hood.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

DanPA

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2022 :  17:22:16  Show Profile
Driving my PA in coastal California, I use my top (hood) on occasion, particularly if my wife rides along. This is usually on a cool, damp morning or when the sun is very hot. Unfortunately nothing helps diminish the roar of the trucks next to my ear when I am forced to use a busy freeway.

The main problem for me was visibility to the left side where the top blocked my view. My top is an ancient vinyl thing, originally bright red but painted black. So I didn’t mind to cut and insert a clear panel in the left rear. Before that, I would unsnap the lower edge and tuck it in to the back to allow some left-rear vision.

I experimented with a (home-made) “bikini” top to provide shade without restricting airflow or vision. (Be kind – my first sewing effort.) I have tried using my side screens as well but find I need the airflow to remove engine fumes. A functional firewall seal would help, of course, and a new set of rings!

Stylistically, I like the changed personality of the roadster with the top up. I wish I had a hardtop to turn it into a coupe when the winter weather demands or for the variety.

I would not put up a top at a show so have focused on a practical cover for occasional use when driving. I am not sure how long I can keep re-sewing the rotten threads on this one. Truly a “rag” top.

Daniel Shockey
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5946 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2022 :  19:11:49  Show Profile
Even when it’s not raining, it really is much cosier to have the hood up when touring in our part of the world. Here we’ve stopped in Donegal town , on the way from Rathmullan in County Donegal to Sligo town (to see Albert Lee in concert!) However, visibility is much improved by not fitting the side screen on the driver's side. The infill flap, however, keeps the worst of the draughts out without affecting visibility.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1525 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2022 :  19:45:06  Show Profile
Albert Lee. Now you’re talking! Fantastic guitar player and a really nice bloke. Saw him in Cambridge at The Boatrace (long gone) one mid-week evening about 20 years ago. There were no more than 50 people in the room and after the gig he came and mingled chatting freely to everyone. Then of course there’s Rory Gallagher… Another genius. That’s quite enough thread drift for now.
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5946 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2022 :  20:06:59  Show Profile
Yep, same in Sligo - Albert came out front to chat after the show. We actually bumped into him and two of the band (Hogan's Heros) earlier in the evening as they, and we, were looking for somewhere to eat. We saw him with Emmy Lou Harris and the Hot Band nearly fifty years ago in Belfast but to be honest, I was more interested in Emmy Lou than Albert then!

OK, back on the subject!

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000