Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 F type restoration
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

brooklands48

France
22 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2022 :  10:20:19  Show Profile
I am currently restoring F1450 (genuine F2 bought in Oregon where it has been sitting untouched since 1967!)
My biggest issue at that point is the sump, which is badly corroded, to the point that there are holes in it.
Seems impossible to weld, so I am looking for a replacement sump.

I know it is likely to be very difficult to find one, but maybe someone would have a spare...?

Jean J. LIZA

Nick Dean

United Kingdom
436 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2022 :  17:29:22  Show Profile
If you have no luck finding a sump, you could always clean this unit completely and line with Epoxy Resin. Because of age and the metal content , these sumps are nearly impossible to weld satisfactorily. Good luck, Nick.

N A Dean
Go to Top of Page

brooklands48

France
22 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2022 :  15:15:00  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Dean

If you have no luck finding a sump, you could always clean this unit completely and line with Epoxy Resin. Because of age and the metal content , these sumps are nearly impossible to weld satisfactorily. Good luck, Nick.

N A Dean

Thank you, Nick. Yes, I am afraid I wont find one.
377 people read my post and no one answered.
Rich Hardy told me no one ever remanufactured F type sumps...
So with my mechanic I am now considering, following your advice, using Epoxy resin to save my sump.
I will keep you posted.

Go to Top of Page

Foz

United Kingdom
759 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2022 :  20:31:09  Show Profile
Hi Jean-Jacques,
may be able to help. My pipe making jig for F-types has a sump which looks much better ... but not perfect... than yours. Will attach a picture .... if you think it is worth the postage to send me yours ... looks like I can still make pipes from it....I will send you mine.....no charge except to cover the postage both ways.
Let me know if you think this is worth it to you.
FOZ

Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3051 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2022 :  09:39:25  Show Profile

Out of curiosity, are these sumps cast aluminium or a magnesium alloy? Vinegar is probably the easiest way to test - it does not react with aluminium.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

brooklands48

France
22 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2022 :  12:13:40  Show Profile
To Foz:
This is really great news, Barry ! I thank you so much for your kind offer. No doubt my sump can be used as a jig for your pipe work, and the threads on it are OK.
Next week I will go to my mechanic's garage to take my sump and send it to you.
We'll be in touch by PM.
My warmest thanks again !

To Sam:
the F type sump is in cast aluminium, and not a great quality... Well, it is 1932 after all...
Clearly in the case of my car, some dirt and water stayed in the sump for ... maybe 50 years, and that's no good !
Go to Top of Page

Foz

United Kingdom
759 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2022 :  10:39:10  Show Profile
Took a picture of the inside... some corrosion but no holes!
FOZ

Go to Top of Page

brooklands48

France
22 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2022 :  10:14:07  Show Profile
Hello Barry,
I have now collected my old sump from my mechanic, would you be so kind as to send me your complete address, so that I can send the sump to you?
Or alternatively send me your personal email, since you are telling other subscribers that sending you emails through the forum simply does not work.
My email : brooklands48@hotmail.com
Many thanks again
Jean-Jacques

<i>Jean J. LIZA</i>
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000